• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to make up for mistakes...Anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are right. I know that. But for some reason I always fall back into the pattern of doing the wrong thing, even when my honest intentions are good.
You do the wrong thing because quite frankly YOU are the one who needs therapy. YOU are the one who is immature. YOU are the one who wants to make excuses.

LdiJ

You could be denied or deprived of joint legal custody for her refusal to COPARENT which means you would be granted ONLY visitation and have no rights to make ANY decisions regarding your child. Because you see, immature people are not going to be rewarded with making decisions about another person.
You might want to edit that to "your"...because I think you meant his refusal to coparent.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I know it's been said before, but it bears repeating. OP - your daughter's behavior is completely normal, both in terms of her age AND the overall situation.

Give some serious thought to:

(a) a parenting class

(b) therapy for yourself to help learn how not to fall into the same bad habits, as well as how to help your daughter grow to trust you and see you as her Daddy in every way.

ETA: And start answering Mom's emails, for heaven's sake! I go through the same thing and it is aggravating as all get-out. If you refuse to communicate with her, don't be surprised when she ends up being the sole decision-maker. And don't go complaining how she shuts you out.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">