• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was summoned for truancy court, do I have a good case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wannablawyer

I really don't beleive that you are a successful businessperson. You may have a job, but that's about it. If you were so smart as to run your own business for two years in the worst economy in decades, then you should also know that a high school graduate will earn about 23% more over a lifetime than a GED. In addition, those who dropout out of high school (regardless of their GED) are 52% more likely to end up on government assistance in their life. Owning and operating a business is hard work and your statement above certainly indicates a lack of comittment on your part to put forth even the meager effort needed to pass government schooling requirements.
Good job, you can read a statistic. Heres my reason for not finishing High School the traditional way.

DISCLAIMER: Before you jump to assumptions, I am in now way saying my reason for not finishing school is just.

I was hanging with the wrong crowd from 8th-10th grade. I ended up trying stupid things and never got caught by the police, however, my aunt caught me. So after her kids sat down and lectured me I decided to turn my life around. I was already failing most of my classes in school, so catching up would be a big challenge. I got a job, and still went to school. Made good grades from then on, but it wasn't enough to make up form me previous years. I saved up enough money to buy my first car, then I sold it 2 weeks later and made a 700$ profit. I figured, that was the easiest 700 dollars I've ever made. So form then on I started to flip cars. Now, I'm 18, and have owned Audi's, Mercedes, and BMW's. I recently decided to stop going to school, get my GED, and start college in the fall. I have another year to go to finish High School, one year behind my class, so I figured I'd get my GED and go to community college and transfer to a University in order to save time. I hope to be able to get into law school, I suppose we'll just have to see. All odd's are against it, so we'll just have to see. To those of you who don't believe me************** cool.

ecmst12

Fascinating that you've managed to turn a profit flipping CARS. Perhaps you should be thinking about a trade school rather than college. The world needs more skilled, professionally trained mechanics way more than it needs more lawyers and there's plenty of money to be made owning your own garage.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Fascinating that you've managed to turn a profit flipping CARS. Perhaps you should be thinking about a trade school rather than college. The world needs more skilled, professionally trained mechanics way more than it needs more lawyers and there's plenty of money to be made owning your own garage.
I don't know whether or not you meant that sarcastically, but I think you were serious. I believe you make a good point. The "hands on" talent that makes our country great is dwindling and people do need to realize that a good "hands on" career isn't somehow inferior to a career that requires 6-8 years of college...oftentimes it is actually superior.

Wannablawyer

I don't know whether or not you meant that sarcastically, but I think you were serious. I believe you make a good point. The "hands on" talent that makes our country great is dwindling and people do need to realize that a good "hands on" career isn't somehow inferior to a career that requires 6-8 years of college...oftentimes it is actually superior.
I thought about that route, then I realized that I don't have the hands on talent, I outsource everything. Also, my father would find that unacceptable as he is always stressing about how important it is to get an education yada yada (He lives in Dubai, so he doesn't know I'm getting my GED. I would be a dead man if he did.)

How many cars a year do you "flip"?
What's your salary?

ecmst12

I was actually completely serious. Been watching a ton of Mike Holmes on TV (about to be a homeowner, need to learn stuff) and I looked up his charity...I thought it was to help people who have been screwed by bad contractors but it's actually to provide scholarships and arrange apprenticeships for young people to learn skilled trades. I don't know if there's a similar situation in the US but at least in Canada, there is a shortage of people who have actually learned skilled trades correctly and a ton of hacks who will wreck your house. So if you have that kind of talent, go with that! Your father is in Dubai so I doubt he has a lot of control over your choices.

Of course, you will make more money if you don't outsource.

And finally, if you can't even make it through the last 3 months of high school, you have no chance in HELL of making it through law school - even if you get in!

Wannablawyer

I was actually completely serious. Been watching a ton of Mike Holmes on TV (about to be a homeowner, need to learn stuff) and I looked up his charity...I thought it was to help people who have been screwed by bad contractors but it's actually to provide scholarships and arrange apprenticeships for young people to learn skilled trades. I don't know if there's a similar situation in the US but at least in Canada, there is a shortage of people who have actually learned skilled trades correctly and a ton of hacks who will wreck your house. So if you have that kind of talent, go with that! Your father is in Dubai so I doubt he has a lot of control over your choices.

Of course, you will make more money if you don't outsource.

And finally, if you can't even make it through the last 3 months of high school, you have no chance in HELL of making it through law school - even if you get in!
Your right. I think I'm a smart guy, I started making A's and B's Junior and Senior year (at least what I have done thus far for Senior year). My dad said that he wasn't going to pay for me to get straight into a university, that I had to go to community college to get my basics done then transfer to save money. At least if he was going to pay for my education.

So I figured, I'm already going to graduate one year behind my class, why not just obtain my GED and go to the same school I would be going to with my diploma? Saves me a year of high school drama, and I get that year I wasted back.

So how hard was law school? I want to ultimately become a judge one day.

ecmst12

I don't think anyone on this thread has been to law school. I considered it, then realized the kind of work it entailed and decided on a different career! I'm interested in law, but not enough for that. And it's an extremely competitive field. Why would a law school admit someone with a community college degree and a GED when they can hire someone from Harvard? Even a state university would look better on your transcript than a GED.

What someone needs above just about anything else to get through law school is patience and willingness to suffer through the tedious and difficult in order to get the ultimate desired result. Case law isn't exactly light reading.

You don't need your dad to pay for college for you. Apply for aid, take out loans, get a job, pay for it yourself. You will appreciate it more that way.

antrc170

What's your salary?
My salary has nothing to do with it because it is made in an entirely legal manner. However, buying or selling a certain amount of vehicles in any given year requires a license to do such. I think that TX is a 4-5 vehicle limit. You might want to check on that.

Wannablawyer

My salary has nothing to do with it because it is made in an entirely legal manner. However, buying or selling a certain amount of vehicles in any given year requires a license to do such. I think that TX is a 4-5 vehicle limit. You might want to check on that.
Yeah I knew where you yall were going with that. I've already looked into it, and there are loopholes.

Humusluvr

Yeah I knew where you yall were going with that. I've already looked into it, and there are loopholes.
I think you should spend less time looking for loopholes, and more time finding legitimate work. You've discussed here trying to play the school, the court, your dad, a law school, and now the state. It WILL catch up with you.

Wannablawyer

I think you should spend less time looking for loopholes, and more time finding legitimate work. You've discussed here trying to play the school, the court, your dad, a law school, and now the state. It WILL catch up with you.
Your right about some of the things catching up with me, but my line of work is completely fine. I plan to get a dealers license eventually. Please, explain to me how in the world am I trying to play a law school, or the court? I have my reasons for what goes on between my father and me.

Humusluvr

Your right about some of the things catching up with me, but my line of work is completely fine. I plan to get a dealers license eventually. Please, explain to me how in the world am I trying to play a law school, or the court? I have my reasons for what goes on between my father and me.
You stated that you dropped out of school because you were lazy, but when you got called to truancy court, you finally got your paperwork done - having "won" you implied. You went for your GED because it was "easier" and you wanted to apply to law school, and since your father will pay for everything (but not if he knows you're a dropout and got a GED) you are trying to game your way into school. I see one game after another, and it WILL catch up with you. If or when you get into a school, you will try to game the system there, and I see a pattern. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else here thinks - it's not us who have to walk in your shoes. But the path you're taking stinks, I can see it, everyone here can see it, and just because you're not in legal trouble YET, doesn't mean you aren't headed there.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">