• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was summoned for truancy court, do I have a good case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

antrc170

You stated that you dropped out of school because you were lazy, but when you got called to truancy court, you finally got your paperwork done - having "won" you implied. You went for your GED because it was "easier" and you wanted to apply to law school, and since your father will pay for everything (but not if he knows you're a dropout and got a GED) you are trying to game your way into school. I see one game after another, and it WILL catch up with you. If or when you get into a school, you will try to game the system there, and I see a pattern. It doesn't matter what I or anyone else here thinks - it's not us who have to walk in your shoes. But the path you're taking stinks, I can see it, everyone here can see it, and just because you're not in legal trouble YET, doesn't mean you aren't headed there.

Good luck.
Although skeptical at first I'm sure that an 18 year old high school drop out knows enough about the legal system to exploit any loopholes. Plus all of the time spent at home in front of the TV will give her plenty of insight on the all of the highly educated individuals who are now facing legal difficulties for playing with legal technicallities (and losing), so she will obviously be able to avoid the traps those educated fools fell into. Plus her dad is on the other side of the world and would never ask for a copy of the high school diploma, or want to attend the ceremony. :rolleyes:

dmcc10880

I guess you live and learn.

OP... sure there may be "loopholes" as you say, but don't think for one minute the state doesn't know those loopholes.

It's only a matter of time when it will catch up with you. :cool:

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Some valuable lessons you don't learn in any sort of school. Such as, if you have to depend on loopholes, you've got a real problem on your hands.

milspecgirl

I think my favorite was the "how hard is law school" type quote.

How hard?????

Well, its a heck of a lot harder than high school. Just studying for the LSAT has been harder than my 4 years of Honors classes in high school. And I dont know if I will ever really be ready to take the exam.

My best friend since 6th grade is an atty. She had a 4.0 all thru high school at a prestigious private school, she then went to UC Berkley and maintained a 4.0 there. She got good scores on the LSAT.
She finally made it into her 5TH CHOICE law school.

So, your chances of getting into law school with a crappy freshman and senior grades, a GED, some community college, etc are about the same as my chances of winning the lottery (which I never play)

And from someone who held a dealer license- the state knows all those loopholes. If you sell more than your state's limit of cars per year, you are in big trouble.

Wannablawyer

I think my favorite was the "how hard is law school" type quote.

How hard?????

Well, its a heck of a lot harder than high school. Just studying for the LSAT has been harder than my 4 years of Honors classes in high school. And I dont know if I will ever really be ready to take the exam.

My best friend since 6th grade is an atty. She had a 4.0 all thru high school at a prestigious private school, she then went to UC Berkley and maintained a 4.0 there. She got good scores on the LSAT.
She finally made it into her 5TH CHOICE law school.

So, your chances of getting into law school with a crappy freshman and senior grades, a GED, some community college, etc are about the same as my chances of winning the lottery (which I never play)

And from someone who held a dealer license- the state knows all those loopholes. If you sell more than your state's limit of cars per year, you are in big trouble.
I know a guy who was an average student throughout high school. He then went to community college and transfered to a university. He graduated magna cum-laude from University of Texas at Dallas. He just got accepted into SMU Dedman Law School. Through community college.

dmcc10880

I know a guy who was an average student throughout high school. He then went to community college and transfered to a university. He graduated magna cum-laude from University of Texas at Dallas. He just got accepted into SMU Dedman Law School. Through community college.
You mean he got accepted to SMU law right out of community college? Wow. :rolleyes:

Humusluvr

You didn't graduate from high school, average or otherwise.

milspecgirl

my point was more that you cant be bothered to
1) finish high school
2) get a real job
3) to what it takes to make your business legal
4) "man-up" to your dad

yet, you think you can make it thru law school????? HAHAHAHAHA

Wannablawyer

Where did I say I was intending to get into law school through a community college? I said I was going to transfer to a University and go from there. Either way, I'm actually taking a lot of what you guys say into consideration. It's not breaking my hopes and dreams down like you guys are intending, It's actually making me realize that I gotta do what I gotta do and get my self situated for school. Theres still a chance that I can get in. Despite the fact that I didn't finish High School, I've have proved to myself multiple times that when I set my mind to something, I can do it. I've beat obesity, I am much better off financially then anyone my age that I know (despite the fact that I don't have a dealers license, I still worked to get where I am), and I've competed in 2 bodybuilding competitions. One of which I placed first in my teen division, and the other I placed 12th of 36 competitors. Which to me is an accomplishment considering I used to weigh 278 lbs 5'7 at the age of 16. That's a little bit about me, and who knows, even if I don't get into law school, I'm confident that I'll get somewhere.

My hearing is on Friday, I'm going to try to get a continuance tomorrow so I can have my GED certificate to show the judge.... Wish me luck.

dmcc10880

Where did I say I was intending to get into law school through a community college? I said I was going to transfer to a University and go from there. Either way, I'm actually taking a lot of what you guys say into consideration. It's not breaking my hopes and dreams down like you guys are intending, It's actually making me realize that I gotta do what I gotta do and get my self situated for school. Theres still a chance that I can get in. Despite the fact that I didn't finish High School, I've have proved to myself multiple times that when I set my mind to something, I can do it. I've beat obesity, I am much better off financially then anyone my age that I know (despite the fact that I don't have a dealers license, I still worked to get where I am), and I've competed in 2 bodybuilding competitions. One of which I placed first in my teen division, and the other I placed 12th of 36 competitors. Which to me is an accomplishment considering I used to weigh 278 lbs 5'7 at the age of 16. That's a little bit about me, and who knows, even if I don't get into law school, I'm confident that I'll get somewhere.

My hearing is on Friday, I'm going to try to get a continuance tomorrow so I can have my GED certificate to show the judge.... Wish me luck.
Dude... we don't know you. We wish you (or at least I don't) any bad will. You just have to consider how you go about things. It's ok to take chances... in fact encouraged if you want to reach your goals. It's just the manner at which you take them. Short cuts, loopholes, etc. are likely to have you going down in flames. Keep in mind what's ethical, moral and legal, that's all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">