• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to do when medical expenses are too high?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

Considering you made this all about the money, I don't blame her for saying contact her attorney. You have NEVER contacted the doctor's office before now -- don't even know who it is -- and raised a big stink about shots and paying for it and then ask for the doctor's phone numbers? You didn't get a copy of the bill showing what you have to pay? Really? Call her attorney and her attorney can give you the doctor's phone number. You are on your own for the records.
Not only that but also:

My ex does have sole custody though so I don't really have much say on what treatments she decides to have given for my daughter.
I can also see how mom might want the attorney to explain to him that she has sole custody and therefore doesn't have to have his agreement...because he kind of came across as though he thought he had some "say" in the matter.

Might have been better to simply ask for the doctor's number so that he could talk to the doctor and better understand what was going on with the child.

OHRoadwarrior

Except that it wasn't a choice mom made to save money:

Mom was REQUIRED to pay for a year's worth up front.
With no clarification or coordination of expenses nor confirmation of diagnosis, I would not just jump on a throw away the money bandwagon. Mom says she was required to. No proof has been submitted to dad. A quick bit of research reveals this appears to involve a massive overcharge for serum.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22715061

Last edited:
As you supply the insurance you can access the EOBs which would provide you with the name of the doctor. Unless your court order specifically disallows it, you can obtain a copy of your child's health records and speak to the doctor about the diagnosis.

I'mTheFather

I'm having a difficult time understanding how you have so little money. Your child support, according to guidelines, is 28% of your net income. At $1400/month, that means you net $5000. Was your child support based on the additional income from your second job? Was it calculated after deducting the cost of health insurance?

dwmiller69

I'm having a difficult time understanding how you have so little money. Your child support, according to guidelines, is 28% of your net income. At $1400/month, that means you net $5000. Was your child support based on the additional income from your second job? Was it calculated after deducting the cost of health insurance?
Yes, the agreement is 28% of net PLUS 50% of any daycare/after school care/summer camp. My true net income is only 35% of my gross income. I just looked at my paycheck and did the math.

Also, pertaining to the post about the cost of the immunotherapy being way too high, I read the article and the price quoted as the norm appears to be assuming a PPO pays the 70% value. My insurance will pay this also once the $5500 deductible is reached. But I did some checking and for only $54 more per paycheck next year I can get better insurance with a annual deductible of only $1500. That will make a big difference.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">