• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination - Possible Law Suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

normal1

What is the name of your state? -- CALIFORNIA

Okay, so I understand the "at will" relationship in california and understand that you can get fired for any reason, but in my case I believe it was very unfair, can I file suit against my former employer?

Background:

I worked there for three weeks meanwhile I was still doing part-time work at my other employer to make sure it was going to work out. Then my now "former employer" (employer A) asked me to quit to join them full time, I agreed and provided my other employer (employer B) - with a two week notice. I finished work on friday - then on wednesday employer A fired me stating "things aren't working out". I understand this wont work for wrongfull termination, but there _has_ to be another way to go at this? or is there?

Thanks in advance!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is just barely possible that you may have a case for detrimental reliance, but that is something you will have to discuss with a local attorney.

normal1

It's just this whole thing seems horribly unfair. There are some other factors in there as well... some verbal harassment(sp) by management - but I just think the fact that three days after I did what they asked they let me go.

You may have a case unless you did something that caused you to be fired. Try to get the other job back or another job and consider suing for lost wages.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
bearflag, that is not correct. An employer is not prohibited from firing someone unless they do something wrong. An employee can be fired for any reason or no reason, unless there is a specific prohibition in the law.

IF this poster has any kind of case, which is by no means certain, it is going to be because she relied on his offer to her detriment. Only a lawyer who is in possession of all the facts can say for certain, but on the available facts, as she herself realizes, there is no case for wrongful termination here.

cbg said:
IF this poster has any kind of case, which is by no means certain, it is going to be because she relied on his offer to her detriment.
To clarify, when I said, "You may have a case," I was thinking of a case based upon detrimental reliance, not a case based upon termination without cause.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is not born out by what you said, which was that she might have a(n) (undefined) case unless she did something wrong. That implies, whether you intended it to or not, that she cannot be fired unless she did something wrong.

If you meant she might have a detrimental reliance case, you should have said so.

Ok, that wasn't not my clearest post. Apologies.

Let's say an employer asks a prosepctive employee to move cross-country for a job. The empoyee moves and reports for work. The employer immediately fires the employee. Sounds like a detrimental reliance case, right?

Now, suppose the reason the employer immediately fired the employee was that as soon as the employee reported for work, he intentionally set his desk on fire. There goes your detrimental reliance case, no?

normal1

That sounds correct -- I didnt _have_ to do anything wrong and I didnt even _have_ time to do something wrong. I understand now that detrimental reliance would be based on the fact that they _ASKED_ me to quit my other job and then fired me without cause (which is irrelevant do to the "at will" factor).

It so far has been difficult to find a lawyer that will even look into this, why? I dont know, I think a jury would go in my favor very quickly. Not only that, I left the other job thinking the new one was secure, now I have no job and cant find a job in my field around here, who knows when that'll happen!

Thanks all for your replies!

P.S. I'm a guy :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">