• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

yet another underage drinking related thread

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Happy Trails

magdalena said:
thanks for all the well wishes.

i realize this was a mistake, but it is hardly suggestive of any other kind of problem. i had just gotten off the drug accutane, and for the whole period of use i abstained from alcohol (and of course everything else). this is 6 months of nothing. it was kind of a pat on my back, a celebration for having a social life again, a celebration for not taxing my liver to the extent it would have been if i drank on the drug.

but i guess this is what unfortunate luck is.

and happy trails, are those stipulations the same everywhere in indiana or just regarding the university? are the punishments the same, et cetera? thanks.
That is your states law. You will probably get a ticket in the mail with the code "IC 7.1-5-7-7" on it.

The penalty I posted for that charge is the maximum that you could get, does not necessarily mean you will get the max.

Last edited:

magdalena

would me getting this ticket mean that i would have to appear in court, or could i just pay it? will the penalty be written on the ticket?

Just Blue

magdalena said:
would me getting this ticket mean that i would have to appear in court, or could i just pay it? will the penalty be written on the ticket?

Are you in High School or college?

Happy Trails

magdalena said:
You would have to go to court.

This isn't like a traffic violation, it is a misdemeanor and although I don't think you will get any jail time, that would be for the court to decide.

baystategirl said:
I was just wondering if you were still in high school because it wouldn't look too good when you apply for college....

I don't see how any college could/would find this out? Drug charges yes, as financial aid comes into play. But I don't think alcohol will affect future collegiate endeavors. GL w/ everything OP

Just Blue

carproblems99 said:
I don't see how any college could/would find this out? Drug charges yes, as financial aid comes into play. But I don't think alcohol will affect future collegiate endeavors. GL w/ everything OP

MIP= Criminal Record=Unhappy

magdalena

i've already been accepted to the university of my dreams and have turned in the mid-year report. plus, I'm assuming all of this will be expunged by the time i'm 18, which is in a month. if a college demanded anything regarding criminal activity before i matriculated, then hopefully i'd be clean.

Wolflmg

magdalena said:
i've already been accepted to the university of my dreams and have turned in the mid-year report. plus, I'm assuming all of this will be expunged by the time i'm 18, which is in a month. if a college demanded anything regarding criminal activity before i matriculated, then hopefully i'd be clean.
That doesn't mean the college wouldn't find out about it. I don't think you realize how serious this is. What you did was dumb and foolish, and just becasue it was a celibration of some type doesn't make it right.

And the courst could surprise you, since your birthday is only a month away they could decide to leave it on your record. So I suggest not taking another sip of beer, until your 21.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
magdalena said:
thanks for all the well wishes.

i realize this was a mistake, but it is hardly suggestive of any other kind of problem. i had just gotten off the drug accutane, and for the whole period of use i abstained from alcohol (and of course everything else). this is 6 months of nothing. it was kind of a pat on my back, a celebration for having a social life again, a celebration for not taxing my liver to the extent it would have been if i drank on the drug.

but i guess this is what unfortunate luck is.
Which indicates that this is just the first time you've gotten caught. Perhaps you should spend some time thinking about how your decision to drink illegally could affect your life in various ways instead of how to get out of the consequences.

magdalena

why does this have to turn into some philosophical diatribe about morals and decision making? this happens in every single thread, and it's the same people. i'm pretty sure i'm representative of all similar thread starters in that we really don't want to hear all this parental type talk about our mistake. i just want to know what's to be expected as far as court and punishment is concerned.

and how exactly could the college find out?

new things surrounding this whole mess: my friend pointed out that, if they did not say outright that i was charged with anything, did not give me a ticket or my mom one, give me a court date right then, then this phone call i'm expected to get will most likely not happen and that was pretty much the end of it (that's if the best of the best happens). the only thing they did was search us (and found nothing) and breathalyze us; i don't know if that means anything more serious.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
magdalena said:
why does this have to turn into some philosophical diatribe about morals and decision making? this happens in every single thread, and it's the same people. i'm pretty sure i'm representative of all similar thread starters in that we really don't want to hear all this parental type talk about our mistake. i just want to know what's to be expected as far as court and punishment is concerned.
Oh well. Then pay for a consultation with an attorney. You're getting what you paid for here - we're allowed to post as we like. I frankly don't care much whether you want parental-type talk when you're a kid who does stupid stuff.

magdalena said:
and how exactly could the college find out?
I said nothing about the college. But if you were concerned enough to quit drinking while on meds, you (a) are intelligent enough to figure out other potential consequences and (b) likely were drinking enough prior to being on the meds to realize that there could be serious medical issues. Frankly, college whould be the least of your concerns.

magdalena said:
new things surrounding this whole mess: my friend pointed out that, if they did not say outright that i was charged with anything, did not give me a ticket or my mom one, give me a court date right then, then this phone call i'm expected to get will most likely not happen and that was pretty much the end of it (that's if the best of the best happens). the only thing they did was search us (and found nothing) and breathalyze us; i don't know if that means anything more serious.
Well, unless your friend is a lawyer or somehow involved with law enforcement (let me guess - s/he is also 17/18) - s/he don't know squat.

magdalena

actually, his dad is a successful lawyer. my friend was also in a situation strikingly similar to this. he said his dad would have brought this point up, but it never even got to court.

who knows, though? different county, different system.

HomeGuru

magdalena said:
actually, his dad is a successful lawyer. my friend was also in a situation strikingly similar to this. he said his dad would have brought this point up, but it never even got to court.

who knows, though? different county, different system.

**A: good luck, you're gonna need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">