• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

possible prescription forgery?? HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinapple807

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

So over 2 months ago I was going to school at Oneonta state and my school physician was prescribing me Ambien for my sleep problems for a few months. At the end of the year she gave me my last rx and i think i had waited a few days before i went to fill it. Sometime in between getting the rx from her and dropping it off at the Walmart pharmacy in my school's town, someone changed the quantity on the rx from 30 to 80 and I have no idea who changed it and I didnt notice it had been changed. I dropped it off and went about my usual business for the day. A few hours later I went to pick it up and the pharmacist told me there was a problem with the insurance and they needed to fix it so it would be a few minutes so to come back in 5 minutes so I left and came back only to be approached by a police officer. I was then searched and handcuffed in the middle of Walmart and was told I was under arrest for rx fraud. After discussing the situation with the investigator at the state police station that night I guess they decided they believed I was not guilty and told me I was not in any kind of trouble and let me leave. I was never fingerprinted or photographed or anything. I havent heard anything about this since.

2 weeks ago, my home town state police contacted me and asked me to come down to the station to discuss something but would not tell me anything about what it was regarding. However I was out of town and then the Investigator I have to talk to was out of town so I still havent been able to talk to them. I am now supposed to go there tomorrow morning. I am assuming this is what it is regarding because i have no idea what else it could be about.

My question is what kind of charges could I face here, I know I didnt do anything wrong, but there is no way for me to really prove that I didnt do anything though. And also, the Investigator from my home police department was extremely rude to me so I am assuming he thinks I am guilty of something, otherwise he would have no reason to be so rude to me. Could I be in some kind of trouble here even though the police at my school told me I had nothing to worry about? Thank you

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

So over 2 months ago I was going to school at Oneonta state and my school physician was prescribing me Ambien for my sleep problems for a few months. At the end of the year she gave me my last rx and i think i had waited a few days before i went to fill it. Sometime in between getting the rx from her and dropping it off at the Walmart pharmacy in my school's town, someone changed the quantity on the rx from 30 to 80 and I have no idea who changed it and I didnt notice it had been changed. I dropped it off and went about my usual business for the day. A few hours later I went to pick it up and the pharmacist told me there was a problem with the insurance and they needed to fix it so it would be a few minutes so to come back in 5 minutes so I left and came back only to be approached by a police officer. I was then searched and handcuffed in the middle of Walmart and was told I was under arrest for rx fraud. After discussing the situation with the investigator at the state police station that night I guess they decided they believed I was not guilty and told me I was not in any kind of trouble and let me leave. I was never fingerprinted or photographed or anything. I havent heard anything about this since.

2 weeks ago, my home town state police contacted me and asked me to come down to the station to discuss something but would not tell me anything about what it was regarding. However I was out of town and then the Investigator I have to talk to was out of town so I still havent been able to talk to them. I am now supposed to go there tomorrow morning. I am assuming this is what it is regarding because i have no idea what else it could be about.

My question is what kind of charges could I face here, I know I didnt do anything wrong, but there is no way for me to really prove that I didnt do anything though. And also, the Investigator from my home police department was extremely rude to me so I am assuming he thinks I am guilty of something, otherwise he would have no reason to be so rude to me. Could I be in some kind of trouble here even though the police at my school told me I had nothing to worry about? Thank you
**A: there is a lot more to this story.

pinapple807

**A: ask for a public defender.
well when i get there do i immediately ask for one or do i talk to them first to see why they want to talk to me about this or what?? because like i said...i havent heard anything about this for over two months and now my HOME police department are contacting me which seems weird because school is over 2 hours away. so should i see why they need to discuss this first and then ask for a public defender??

i have never been in any kind of trouble with the law, not so much as a speeding ticket so i am not experienced with these kinds of things at all and anything regarding police makes me extremely nervous. the night that all of this happened i was so upset even after they told me i wasnt in any trouble that i couldnt stop crying or hyperventilating.

HomeGuru

well when i get there do i immediately ask for one or do i talk to them first to see why they want to talk to me about this or what?? because like i said...i havent heard anything about this for over two months and now my HOME police department are contacting me which seems weird because school is over 2 hours away. so should i see why they need to discuss this first and then ask for a public defender??

i have never been in any kind of trouble with the law, not so much as a speeding ticket so i am not experienced with these kinds of things at all and anything regarding police makes me extremely nervous. the night that all of this happened i was so upset even after they told me i wasnt in any trouble that i couldnt stop crying or hyperventilating.

**A: play it by ear and for gosh sakes DO NOT cry or hyperventilate.

outonbail

You have no legal obligation to speak with the police. Going to the station to speak to the rude officer, is completely voluntary on your part. If the police had solid evidence that you committed a crime, they would present it to the DA so that an arrest warrant could be issued. Then they would come to your house and chauffeur you to the police station.

So the reason for the interview is to get you to tell on yourself and provide them with a legitimate reason to place you under arrest. If you get nervous under these type of situations and have never experienced something like this, then you will not do well in this meeting without an attorney on your side of the table.

You should know that it is perfectly legal for the police to lie to you and make up some BS story in order to get you to confess to them. They can promise you the world, cross their heart and swear on the bible if they believe it will gain a confession from you. They can tell you that they know who altered the prescription and it is that person who they are after. If you just sign a statement confirming that this is what took place, then you can go home, relax and put this all behind you.

This is all BS! Once you admit to, or sign such a statement, you will not be going anywhere but to jail. This is the way things work in the real world.

So, I suggest that you call the rude officer and tell him that there is no reason for you to be questioned by the police because you have not broken any laws. Since they apparently believe otherwise, you will only speak to them with an attorney present. Hence, you will not be attending any meetings at the police station until you can arrange for legal council to be there with you. Be polite, thank them for understanding then hang up the phone.

If they come out and arrest you, do not speak to them until you have had an opportunity to see a judge and request a public defender.

If you speak to them after they have read you your rights, you will do serious damage to any defense your attorney may be able to provide. I hope you understand how important this is.
The police will tell you they are only trying to help you. That they can speak to the DA or judge on your behalf and things will go much easier. But you have to let them help you. If you refuse to let them help, the prosecution is going to throw the book at you and you will be locked up for a long long time. They will tell you that you have a lot going for you and they don't want to see this one incident damage you. THIS IS ALL A LOT OF HOGWASH!

One last comment I must make. There is no prescription fairy that goes around randomly altering prescriptions for people when they are not looking. I don't believe that it is possible that your prescription was altered without your knowledge.

pinapple807

You have no legal obligation to speak with the police. Going to the station to speak to the rude officer, is completely voluntary on your part. If the police had solid evidence that you committed a crime, they would present it to the DA so that an arrest warrant could be issued. Then they would come to your house and chauffeur you to the police station.

So the reason for the interview is to get you to tell on yourself and provide them with a legitimate reason to place you under arrest. If you get nervous under these type of situations and have never experienced something like this, then you will not do well in this meeting without an attorney on your side of the table.

You should know that it is perfectly legal for the police to lie to you and make up some BS story in order to get you to confess to them. They can promise you the world, cross their heart and swear on the bible if they believe it will gain a confession from you. They can tell you that they know who altered the prescription and it is that person who they are after. If you just sign a statement confirming that this is what took place, then you can go home, relax and put this all behind you.

This is all BS! Once you admit to, or sign such a statement, you will not be going anywhere but to jail. This is the way things work in the real world.

So, I suggest that you call the rude officer and tell him that there is no reason for you to be questioned by the police because you have not broken any laws. Since they apparently believe otherwise, you will only speak to them with an attorney present. Hence, you will not be attending any meetings at the police station until you can arrange for legal council to be there with you. Be polite, thank them for understanding then hang up the phone.

If they come out and arrest you, do not speak to them until you have had an opportunity to see a judge and request a public defender.

If you speak to them after they have read you your rights, you will do serious damage to any defense your attorney may be able to provide. I hope you understand how important this is.
The police will tell you they are only trying to help you. That they can speak to the DA or judge on your behalf and things will go much easier. But you have to let them help you. If you refuse to let them help, the prosecution is going to throw the book at you and you will be locked up for a long long time. They will tell you that you have a lot going for you and they don't want to see this one incident damage you. THIS IS ALL A LOT OF HOGWASH!

One last comment I must make. There is no prescription fairy that goes around randomly altering prescriptions for people when they are not looking. I don't believe that it is possible that your prescription was altered without your knowledge.

well i was told this may be to fill out paper work or something because none of this was ever solved when it happened. so i already told them i was going there so i guess i am going to go and play it by ear and if i feel uncomfortable i will tell them i dont feel comfortable answering questions without a lawyer.

also, i was going to college and i was living in a suite with some pretty low life girls. i'm not officially accusing any of them, however i am aware they do drugs so i wouldnt put it past them to alter my rx to try to steal some of the pills and have some fun with them.

moburkes

Don't mention your low-life roommates. Like HomeGuru said, there is a whole lot more to this story and the one about the roommates is a bad attempt at deflecting attention from your crime. Really bad. Stupid, actually. You need an attorney now. That is the best legal advice anyone here can give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">