• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

YAY!!! He signed!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CCMominVA

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi, I've posted a few times here, but my update is that......

My ex signed his consent for adoption! Hubby and I have been married going on 7 years this June. We are just thrilled!

We are hoping the courts will waive the home study (that's what our lawyer is asking for anyway), so that this can be taken care of once and for all. :)

We are all beyond thrilled (especially OUR son who just turned 10, and has gotten tired of hyphenating his name at school!).

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? VA

Hi, I've posted a few times here, but my update is that......

My ex signed his consent for adoption! Hubby and I have been married going on 7 years this June. We are just thrilled!

We are hoping the courts will waive the home study (that's what our lawyer is asking for anyway), so that this can be taken care of once and for all. :)

We are all beyond thrilled (especially OUR son who just turned 10, and has gotten tired of hyphenating his name at school!).
Congratulations! I hope that everything can be finalized before ex has a chance to change his mind.

CCMominVA

Order of Reference?

Well, I got a note back from the court requesting a home study be done. Not a big deal to us. We are to ask Social Services for an "Order of Reference". Does anyone know what this is? I should hear back from Social Services, but I'm looking for information beforehand! :)

Thanks!

CCMominVA

Arrearage?

Ok, we are just waiting for Social Services to do the Homestudy on us....all our references have been turned in, etc.

I get an email from ex "Have the adoption papers gone through yet?"....I'm sure he's wondering because his employers were just ordered to start withholding his wages, and his tax return has been seized.

I responded that it was in SS hands and I wasn't sure how long the process was going to take.

Should I mention to him that his arrearage (approx. $22K now) will not go away, or just leave it alone and let him figure it out himself? This was the first time he's corresponded with me since 2000, despite a few phone calls I've left for him that he's never returned. What an A$$.....he never even asked how his own son is doing....but, on the flip side, makes things a LOT easier on me.

CCMominVA,

We're getting ready to go through the same thing with ex terminating his rights. My attorney wasn't certain if the judge would request the home study for us or not. Back in 1999, ex terminated his rights to my oldest daughter-no biologically his--and there was no homestudy. All of this is in the same county.

If you don't mind me asking, what county are you in? Trying to figure out what the judge in CC is doing in these cases now.

We're in VA too and wish you the best with this.

LdiJ

Ok, we are just waiting for Social Services to do the Homestudy on us....all our references have been turned in, etc.

I get an email from ex "Have the adoption papers gone through yet?"....I'm sure he's wondering because his employers were just ordered to start withholding his wages, and his tax return has been seized.

I responded that it was in SS hands and I wasn't sure how long the process was going to take.

Should I mention to him that his arrearage (approx. $22K now) will not go away, or just leave it alone and let him figure it out himself? This was the first time he's corresponded with me since 2000, despite a few phone calls I've left for him that he's never returned. What an A$$.....he never even asked how his own son is doing....but, on the flip side, makes things a LOT easier on me.
Let him figure it out himself. You don't want him attempting to withdraw his consent.

CCMominVA

CCMominVA,

We're getting ready to go through the same thing with ex terminating his rights. My attorney wasn't certain if the judge would request the home study for us or not. Back in 1999, ex terminated his rights to my oldest daughter-no biologically his--and there was no homestudy. All of this is in the same county.

If you don't mind me asking, what county are you in? Trying to figure out what the judge in CC is doing in these cases now.

We're in VA too and wish you the best with this.
Thanks so much!

We're in Stafford County. I was told that Prince William County doesn't require stepparent adoption homestudies, according to our lawyer, but not sure about anywhere else.

Thanks so much!

We're in Stafford County. I was told that Prince William County doesn't require stepparent adoption homestudies, according to our lawyer, but not sure about anywhere else.

Thanks! We're in Culpeper. The first time we did this, there was no homestudy but that was with my Dad adopting her back with me--very confusing--becasue I wasn't remarried. My attorney said it was up to the judge--which is fine. Just curious as to what a homestudy involved.

Good luck to you!

CCMominVA

Let him figure it out himself. You don't want him attempting to withdraw his consent.
Thanks! I'd love to see the look on his face though when he does find out. I just got a letter from an attorney's office trying to collect on an old debt that was his to pay off in our divorce decree. UGH. He never paid off one thing that he was ordered to. Just irks me still.

We got a call today from Social Services, all our recommendations are in, and the homestudy is set up for 6/28. The fee is $150.00. I'm sure all will be well and we'll be on our way to having this all completed!

CCMominVA

Thanks! We're in Culpeper. The first time we did this, there was no homestudy but that was with my Dad adopting her back with me--very confusing--becasue I wasn't remarried. My attorney said it was up to the judge--which is fine. Just curious as to what a homestudy involved.

Good luck to you!
Well, the woman from SS asked us to provide:

Marriage Certificate
Birth Certificate
Divorce Decree
Financial Disclosure (Bank Accounts, Retirement, Health insurance, Savings, Debt) ***which to us is ridiculous....not like they can take him (son) away from me, and we don't get asked this information to have kids....but whatever)

She said that she has a questionnaire that she will ask us, as well as our son. She also asked us if he was aware of what this entails. Of course, he's going on 11 and I've always been very open with him as soon as he could comprehend about who his "blood" dad is. I've always told him that his "bio" dad was not ready to be a father and hubby was anxious to take on that role to care for us.

I'll update after the homestudy as well. :)

CCMominVA

Had the homestudy

We had our Homestudy yesterday. All went well! Once social services files the findings, the judge has 21 days to sign off. Here's hoping it goes quickly! :)

Yah! I'm glad it's progressing for you. Here's hoping the judge signs off quickly.

My ex is in his attorney's office right now signing the affidavit stating he will giving up his rights to our daughter and doing the name change.:)I'll be so glad when it's over!

Keep me posted! :D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yah! I'm glad it's progressing for you. Here's hoping the judge signs off quickly.

My ex is in his attorney's office right now signing the affidavit stating he will giving up his rights to our daughter and doing the name change.:)I'll be so glad when it's over!

Keep me posted! :D
QUIT HIJACKING OTHER PEOPLE's THREADS!

CCMominVA

Update And Social Service Grief

Hello, we're getting there!

My grief now is Social Services. We had our homestudy done on 6/29 and our caseworker said that it would be filed within 2 weeks (she was going on vacation). We've been waiting, and hadn't heard anything, so last week I called her. Her response was "Oh, I've got a few more blocks to fill in, and I'll call you when I send it to the court". So, here we are, about 5 weeks past the date of our study, and still nada. It's quite frustrating.

As I mentioned in a post on the child support forum, I am getting ready to have surgery and I just want to make sure that all is in place before I go under the knife. I would hate for his biological father to have any rights to him....(I know this is a touchy label for some here....but he truly is "the donor").

Anyways, any advice? We have been using Legal Services on base here, and they are closed for the day. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">