• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

YAY!!! He signed!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CJane

Hello, we're getting there!

My grief now is Social Services. We had our homestudy done on 6/29 and our caseworker said that it would be filed within 2 weeks (she was going on vacation). We've been waiting, and hadn't heard anything, so last week I called her. Her response was "Oh, I've got a few more blocks to fill in, and I'll call you when I send it to the court". So, here we are, about 5 weeks past the date of our study, and still nada. It's quite frustrating.

As I mentioned in a post on the child support forum, I am getting ready to have surgery and I just want to make sure that all is in place before I go under the knife. I would hate for his biological father to have any rights to him....(I know this is a touchy label for some here....but he truly is "the donor").

Anyways, any advice? We have been using Legal Services on base here, and they are closed for the day. Thanks!
Call EVERY DAY until it's filed.

CCMominVA

Thanks!

Call EVERY DAY until it's filed.
Thanks! I just wasn't sure if this was something that would make them think badly of us....oh, I don't know. I mean, she was soooooooo nice that day, and said what a wonderful family we were, and how exciting it must be that son will be able to legally use our name when school starts, and on and on and on. So, we were kind of thinking that she would get this done in a timely manner, and we didn't want to seem like pests at the same time.

I will try this and see what happens.

CCMominVA

Well, hubby went to Social Services today in person and requested to talk to case worker face to face. While he was there, she filled in what was left (he brought down the timeline to her desk and printed out the timeframes required by the law here in VA), and said she would run it down to the courthouse this afternoon. Praying that she did.

Anyways, once that's turned in, the court generally takes about 3 weeks to finalize the adoption order, so hoping all goes smoothly the rest of the way. School starts in a month and hope to have this all done by then, and my surgery will be the following week!

Thanks everyone for your help!

ProSeAdopt

Hello, we're getting there!

My grief now is Social Services. We had our homestudy done on 6/29 and our caseworker said that it would be filed within 2 weeks (she was going on vacation). We've been waiting, and hadn't heard anything, so last week I called her. Her response was "Oh, I've got a few more blocks to fill in, and I'll call you when I send it to the court". So, here we are, about 5 weeks past the date of our study, and still nada. It's quite frustrating.

As I mentioned in a post on the child support forum, I am getting ready to have surgery and I just want to make sure that all is in place before I go under the knife. I would hate for his biological father to have any rights to him....(I know this is a touchy label for some here....but he truly is "the donor").

Anyways, any advice? We have been using Legal Services on base here, and they are closed for the day. Thanks!
If you still have not heard anything from the SS worker, I would contact her supervisor. SS has regulations on how long home study reports can take. In Texas, SS workers have 30 days to file the home study. You are probably a low priority on the SS workers scale (who is probably way overworked), so you might need the supervisors help to get this done quickly.

CCMominVA

If you still have not heard anything from the SS worker, I would contact her supervisor. SS has regulations on how long home study reports can take. In Texas, SS workers have 30 days to file the home study. You are probably a low priority on the SS workers scale (who is probably way overworked), so you might need the supervisors help to get this done quickly.
Thanks! Hubby went back to the court clerk last Monday, and it was filed!!!! The clerk let us know that the package is to go to the judge's chambers on Aug. 30th and should be signed within the week. This has just been such a long time coming! We've been a family for so long, it's just going to be nice for it to be official! Every time we've tried to complete this since we've been married, either hubby's had to deploy, or I couldn't find his bio dad! But, I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks again everyone!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">