• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMOMtired

What is the name of your state? GA

My ex-husband moved to Louisiana about 600 miles away 4 months after our divorce when our daughter was 5. She has had very little visitation with him b/c he says he can't afford to travel here to pick her up. Originally he said he would try to see her once a month since he works for an oil company in the Gulf and works one week on and one week off. This has not happened. We divorced b/c he was having an affair with a woman in his home town in LA. When our papers were drawn up he knew he was going to move but he did not tell me or make any kind of visitation arrangements in case he did move. She has been to see him about 4 times total since the move, two seperate weeks last summer and then she went for 2 consecutive weeks last Thanksgiving, I allowed the extra time since she was in Kindergarten and the school approved it. He did not get her for Christmas b/c his work schedule conflicted with his visitation time. He only calls about once every 2 to 3 weeks sometimes not even that much. He married the woman he had the affair with about a month ago, my child has been around her about 3 times since he left us. She is currently with her father in Louisiana for 2 weeks, originally he told me he had to work one of those weeks and I told him to just keep her for the week he was off because she is not very familiar with his new wife. He said no, b/c he would have to make seperate trips to see her that way. Then he told me he had made arrangements to be off. Of course he called me last week and said he had called in to work for a week and my little girl would be staying with his wife till he got back other than 2 days which she spent with his parents. I know I have rambled but my question is, Do I have let her stay with someone she hardly knows (even though she's his wife) for that long while he is in the Gulf of Mexico on a barge(unaccessible if she needed him)? Do I have any say so in this at all? I have encouraged more visitation and more phone calls but he says he is doing all he can afford to do. He said she could call him sometimes, she's 6. I do ask her if she wants to call him and occasionally she does. I called her last night and she cried and said she was ready to come home, I encouraged her to stay and told her it was just 4 more days. His new wife blamed me for calling and making her upset. I want to talk to my child but I don't want to make her even more homesick. They don't want me to call b/c they say it makes her upset. I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I know I have rambled but my question is, Do I have let her stay with someone she hardly knows (even though she's his wife) for that long while he is in the Gulf of Mexico on a barge(unaccessible if she needed him)?
Yep. Unless your court papers say otherwise he has a right to have someone watch his child when he cannto be there.

Do I have any say so in this at all?
Nope. Unless your court papers have a ROFR in them. That would apply to you as well.

I have encouraged more visitation and more phone calls but he says he is doing all he can afford to do. He said she could call him sometimes, she's 6. I do ask her if she wants to call him and occasionally she does. I called her last night and she cried and said she was ready to come home, I encouraged her to stay and told her it was just 4 more days. His new wife blamed me for calling and making her upset. I want to talk to my child but I don't want to make her even more homesick. They don't want me to call b/c they say it makes her upset. I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.
He may be doing all he can do. She can call him. Children get homesick. That is a fact of life. It happens to the vast majority of children. You need to let her stay where she is and deal with the fact that your ex has a new life and your daughter will be exposed to other people in her life. If she has having problems dealing with it then you need to help her deal with it even if it means counseling. You did the right thing by encouraging her to stay.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? GA

My ex-husband moved to Louisiana about 600 miles away 4 months after our divorce when our daughter was 5. She has had very little visitation with him b/c he says he can't afford to travel here to pick her up. Originally he said he would try to see her once a month since he works for an oil company in the Gulf and works one week on and one week off. This has not happened. We divorced b/c he was having an affair with a woman in his home town in LA. When our papers were drawn up he knew he was going to move but he did not tell me or make any kind of visitation arrangements in case he did move. She has been to see him about 4 times total since the move, two seperate weeks last summer and then she went for 2 consecutive weeks last Thanksgiving, I allowed the extra time since she was in Kindergarten and the school approved it. He did not get her for Christmas b/c his work schedule conflicted with his visitation time. He only calls about once every 2 to 3 weeks sometimes not even that much. He married the woman he had the affair with about a month ago, my child has been around her about 3 times since he left us. She is currently with her father in Louisiana for 2 weeks, originally he told me he had to work one of those weeks and I told him to just keep her for the week he was off because she is not very familiar with his new wife. He said no, b/c he would have to make seperate trips to see her that way. Then he told me he had made arrangements to be off. Of course he called me last week and said he had called in to work for a week and my little girl would be staying with his wife till he got back other than 2 days which she spent with his parents. I know I have rambled but my question is, Do I have let her stay with someone she hardly knows (even though she's his wife) for that long while he is in the Gulf of Mexico on a barge(unaccessible if she needed him)? Do I have any say so in this at all? I have encouraged more visitation and more phone calls but he says he is doing all he can afford to do. He said she could call him sometimes, she's 6. I do ask her if she wants to call him and occasionally she does. I called her last night and she cried and said she was ready to come home, I encouraged her to stay and told her it was just 4 more days. His new wife blamed me for calling and making her upset. I want to talk to my child but I don't want to make her even more homesick. They don't want me to call b/c they say it makes her upset. I'm frustrated and don't know what to do.
What do your orders say regarding parenting time for dad?

However, I disagree that you have to leave her with his new wife. Visitation is for dad, not for dad's wife.

CJane

I'm curious why this mom is being told that the child has to spend a week with a step-mom she barely knows because it's dad's time and his choice where his daughter is, and the guy yesterday was told to call the cops on the daycare and have everyone arrested because he wanted the kid for 15 minutes of mom's time.

GAMOMtired

I really don't have problem with someone keeping her for a short period of time, I know that he has a new wife and she is now my child's stepmother. My little girl really likes her and regardless of my feelings for her she is good to my child as far as I know. I do have a problem with him leaving her for that long with someone she hardly knows regarless of who it is. He filed for divorce, he left us and moved 600 miles away and now my child has to suffer for it. I know kids get homesick, but how would you liked to have been away from your child or parent for 2 weeks and spending one week with someone you hardly know. If he wasn't going to be there he should have let her come home. What is a ROFR?
Our papers state he gets her every other weekend and we alternate holidays, 1 week each at Christmas and splitting the week at Thanksgiving. He gets a total of 4 weeks in the summer, 4 consecutive or 2 sets of 2 weeks consecutive, of course all that is if we can't agree with each other about visitation. He hardly ever excercises his visitation anyway because he says it is too expensive and timely to make the trips to see her. He had one week of vacation and he used it for something else already but wouldn't tell me what. I just wondered if I take him back to revise visitation is he held accountable if he forfeits that schedule and doesn't get her when he's supposed to or I am only accountable if I can't accomodate him when he does decide to get her?

I agree, children do get homesick! My 3 y/o is spending the week (her request) with her grandparents a state away, and called crying to come home on the 2nd night (bedtime). I talked to her the following morning, they were headed to the pool and she didn't have time to talk to me:(. It seems that for the most part dad is trying to spend time with his daughter as much as possible, but he does have to work to support his family and the daughter that you share. Encourage your daughter to stay, have fun and you'll see her in a few short days. I know its hard to share a child with a step-parent, but if she's going to be around the step-mother...don't you want them to establish a healthy relationship? In the end, I think that you will be happy, and your child will be too.

Children need daddies too (even if they do come with step-mommies). :)

LdiJ

I agree, children do get homesick! My 3 y/o is spending the week (her request) with her grandparents a state away, and called crying to come home on the 2nd night (bedtime). I talked to her the following morning, they were headed to the pool and she didn't have time to talk to me:(. It seems that for the most part dad is trying to spend time with his daughter as much as possible, but he does have to work to support his family and the daughter that you share. Encourage your daughter to stay, have fun and you'll see her in a few short days. I know its hard to share a child with a step-parent, but if she's going to be around the step-mother...don't you want them to establish a healthy relationship? In the end, I think that you will be happy, and your child will be too.

Children need daddies too (even if they do come with step-mommies). :)
Yes, children need daddies even if they come with stepmom's. However, dad take his four weeks, one week at a time, so that he can actually be there with her, since his work schedule is one week off/one week on. Yes, that would cost him some additional money in transportation, but it would be 100% better than the child spending weeks without either parent.

GAMOMtired

I agree children definately need their Daddy and I begged her Daddy not to move 600 miles away from her, but he chose his new girlfriend over his child and now it is an inconvenience for him every time he gets her, which isn't much. He has excercised visitation twice since Thanksgiving, one weekend in May and these 2 weeks. If he was trying to spend time with his daughter for any part, this would not be the case. He does not try to spend time with her for the most part, he doesn't even call her on a weekly basis and he could call anytime he wanted. I have never limited the time he could spen with her, he has. He works a week and then is off a week but complains about the drive being to far and to costly to come see her. Duh! He knew that from the start but at that time she was not important enough to stay here and fulfill his obligation of raising the child we had together, and now I'm supposed to be ok that he leaves her with the woman he slept with while we were married. I have gone out of my way to be nice to his new wife(even though she knowingly slept with a married man, my husband) she is very rude to me and blamed me for my child being upset and homesick, because she was fine until I called to talk to her. It's going to be very hard to have a healthy relationship with someone who I think has no morals and no, I don't want my child influenced by someone like that. You should have to have a license to be a parent, and commiting adultery should be the first reason that license is revoked. I am a step mother, and if one of my step children wanted there mama, I would call her myself and take them to her if necessary. I love them and my child that much, they did not ask for their parents to get a divorce but consequently they are the ones who suffer. Neither my child's father or her new stepmommie thought about her when they were sleeping together while me and my child were at home thinking we still had a family.

GAMOMtired

Yes, children need daddies even if they come with stepmom's. However, dad take his four weeks, one week at a time, so that he can actually be there with her, since his work schedule is one week off/one week on. Yes, that would cost him some additional money in transportation, but it would be 100% better than the child spending weeks without either parent.
Thank you, I'm not asking him not to get her, I just want him to be there when he does.

I agree children definately need their Daddy and I begged her Daddy not to move 600 miles away from her, but he chose his new girlfriend over his child and now it is an inconvenience for him every time he gets her, which isn't much. He has excercised visitation twice since Thanksgiving, one weekend in May and these 2 weeks. If he was trying to spend time with his daughter for any part, this would not be the case. He does not try to spend time with her for the most part, he doesn't even call her on a weekly basis and he could call anytime he wanted. I have never limited the time he could spen with her, he has. He works a week and then is off a week but complains about the drive being to far and to costly to come see her. Duh! He knew that from the start but at that time she was not important enough to stay here and fulfill his obligation of raising the child we had together, and now I'm supposed to be ok that he leaves her with the woman he slept with while we were married. I have gone out of my way to be nice to his new wife(even though she knowingly slept with a married man, my husband) she is very rude to me and blamed me for my child being upset and homesick, because she was fine until I called to talk to her. It's going to be very hard to have a healthy relationship with someone who I think has no morals and no, I don't want my child influenced by someone like that. You should have to have a license to be a parent, and commiting adultery should be the first reason that license is revoked. I am a step mother, and if one of my step children wanted there mama, I would call her myself and take them to her if necessary. I love them and my child that much, they did not ask for their parents to get a divorce but consequently they are the ones who suffer. Neither my child's father or her new stepmommie thought about her when they were sleeping together while me and my child were at home thinking we still had a family.
Unfortunately affairs happen. I'm simply saying, as her mother you should do whatever you can to support a healthy relationship between her and her father (and step-mom). I'm not saying you're wrong in any way...but, be thankful that she has a father who tries :).

GAMOMtired

First of all, you must have never been cheated on, or you wouldn't say unfortunately affairs happen. Affairs happen because people don't have the morals or decency to get a divorce first and then sleep with someone else. She doesn't have a father who tries, to me going 6 months without seeing your child is not trying. When he was having the affair with his current wife, he had no problem taking off work and traveling from GA to LA once or twice a month to sleep with her, but he can't do that to see his daughter. I want her to have a healthy relationship with her father, but getting her 2 or 3 times a year and leaving her part of that time with someone with no morals is not healthy for my child. He has no morals either but b/c he is her Daddy I can't stop him from seeing her, and quite frankly since she took my child's father from her I don't think she deserves any kind of relationship with my daughter, although I have never let my daughter know how I feel about her stepmother or what they did which is very hard.

Silverplum

You've mentioned now a couple of times that Dad left "us." As in, both Mom and child.

Reality: He left you. That's divorce.

He's pursuing a relationship with his child: he did not leave her.

quite frankly since she took my child's father from her I don't think she deserves any kind of relationship with my daughter, although I have never let my daughter know how I feel about her stepmother or what they did which is very hard.
Your daughter is 6. Do you think that she has not picked up on that attitude? Children are very smart and pick up on things that most adults do not think get picked up. Remember, though you may not agree with what dad did to you, he is apparently trying to bond with his daughter, even if it's one week while he's working. Yes, maybe she shouldn't be at home with his wife while he's at work. But, it is his visitation time, and if you do not have ROFR, he can leave her with her (in my understanding, that is). He does get time with her, and you'll have to face that, as you'll be dealing with him for the rest of your life.

ajs09876

Maybe I missed it

Sorry, I tried to read the post, but it was hard with no paragraphs.:D

Did OP ever get the visitation agreement modified now that Dad is so far away? If not, maybe she could get it modified so he has longer periods of time in summer and breaks and such but also include a ROFR (right of first refusal) so that if he's going to be away more that X amount of time, the child comes home to mom.

OP a ROFR is a right of first refusal which means if Dad is going to be away more that X amount of time (set up in the order) the child comes to you first before any babysitter or step mom. It might be worth looking into.

Did OP ever get the visitation agreement modified now that Dad is so far away? If not, maybe she could get it modified so he has longer periods of time in summer and breaks and such but also include a ROFR (right of first refusal) so that if he's going to be away more that X amount of time, the child comes home to mom.
For the visitation NCP has, I highly doubt it, since he has every other weekend. That's a hard visitation from 600 miles away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">