• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ga Laws On Relocation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Stepmother SHHHHHH

GOOGLE bodne vs. Bodne

From a paper on it:
In Bodne, the Georgia Supreme Court held that “in relocation cases, as in all child custody cases, the trial court must consider the best interests of the child”. In so holding, Georgia Supreme Court overturned at least twelve Georgia cases representing decades of common law regarding relocation in custody cases. Furthermore, as the dissent in Bodne notes, the majority decision in Bodne may also be read to overrule an almost century-old presumption that a custodial parent had a prima facie right to continue to retain custody absent a showing of a material change in circumstances affecting the welfare of the child, in any case, not just a relocation case.

And then:
Prior to Bodne, to change custody, the trial court had to find affirmatively that either the original custodian was no longer able or suited to retain custody, or conditions surrounding the child had changed so that modification of custody would have the effect of promoting his welfare. It was the change for the worse in conditions in the child’s present home environment, rather than the purported change for the better in the environment of the non-custodial parent, which controlled. Ormandy v. Odom, 217 Ga. App. 780 (1995); Mercer v. Foster, 210 Ga. 546, 81 S.E.2d 871 (1954). Once such a change of condition was determined, then the primary consideration for a change of custody was the welfare of the child, or the best interests standard.

And:
The holding in Bodne is as follows: “When exercising its discretion in relocation cases, as in all child custody case, the trial court must consider the best interests of the child and cannot apply a bright-line test.” Id. at 1. The bright-line tests that cannot be applied are the presumption that “the custodial parent has a prima facie right to retain custody” or any self-executing change of custody provision as in Carr or Scott.

And:
With regard to relocation cases, Bodne and Lewis and Scott together do provide some guidance to practitioners: relocation is grounds for a modification of custody action, and in that modification action, the trial court will apply the best interests of the child analysis.
Further, at the time of the original award of custody, relocation cannot be dealt with by self -executing change of custody (a “Carr provision”).

There is NOT a presumption towards the CP retaining custody anymore. It is very possible for the CP to lose custody unless they can show it is in the BEST INTEREST OF THE CHILD.. That is per the Georgia Supreme Court.

stepmother3870

Also read http://www.dmqlaw.com/CM/Articles/RelocationAfterBodne.pdf
This is the binding precedent. A CP does not automatically get to relocate just because they are CP and that does not mean they can remove the children from the court's jurisdiction. Telling OP to hurry and move to Florida is irresponsible.
Reading the law, and interrupting the law are 2 different things. Anyone can can paste something they read on a site. In GEORGIA, relocation of a cp IS NOT GROUNDS ALONE TO TERMINATE OR MODIFY CUSTODY. There are other factors, that will determine primary custody, as i have stated in my last post. The cp can remove the minor child as long as the court order doesn't state against it. She is not taking the minor from the courts jurisdiction, because some years ago a law was passed call the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act, so Georgia will retain jurisdiction over the minor because the father has already file suite,( and other reasons also) and Georgia is the only state that can hear the case at this time. I know this for a fact!!!!!! And by the way during the custody case, the judge will almost always appoint a guardian ad litem, if this man is as she says he is, he will never get primary custody, he may even lose his visitation, or get supervised visitation, so he is the one that better beware.

LdiJ

Are you really arguing with a family law attorney who interprets the law on a daily basis? That's funny.
Not necessarily....she is arguing with an Ohio family law attorney who does not practice in GA....and the laws in OH and GA are not identical.

I have great respect for OG, but that doesn't mean that she is on point for every state, or every law topic.

powerline

Stepmother, what county are you in? if you dont mind me asking. I dont want to go against the law. But I hired an attorney and he says I can go to FL but I dont trust anyone at this point. Thats why I am here asking questions. I need to know about how to prove that my ex is an alcoholic, can I get witnesses or can my daughter (who has expressed a dislike in his drinking habits) testify or sign an affadavit?

moburkes

Not necessarily....she is arguing with an Ohio family law attorney who does not practice in GA....and the laws in OH and GA are not identical.

I have great respect for OG, but that doesn't mean that she is on point for every state, or every law topic.
I agree. However, my comment was specifically addressing her statement about knowing how to read the law doesn't mean that you know how to interpret the law. Every attorney in every state is TAUGHT about interpreting the law. Every single one of them.

powerline

OhioGAL if you are a GAL would you suggest a NCP who is an alcoholic over a CP that is not. I try to teach my kids to do the right thing ie: no lying , no stealing, no cheating, sometimes they listen sometimes they dont but I do everything in my power to have them do the right thing. Drinking and driving is bad, I would never put her in harms way. Dad on the other hand being manic lies, tells her things that he has done that he hasnt and drinks way too much. So how would a GAL address these issues. I dont think that I have ever done anything to make me lose custody, besides wanting to relocate.

powerline

Stepmother 3870 again where are you? In north GA? I guess I am asking what judicial system are you working with. I am in the mountain judicial system. From what I understand our system works with the good ole boys ideas. I hope this is not the case b/c my ex has a pretty well known family in this county. Lots of old money. related to everyone on one side or the other. Its kinda hard to fight this type of situation. His family bails him out of everything.

stepmother3870

Stepmother, what county are you in? if you dont mind me asking. I dont want to go against the law. But I hired an attorney and he says I can go to FL but I dont trust anyone at this point. Thats why I am here asking questions. I need to know about how to prove that my ex is an alcoholic, can I get witnesses or can my daughter (who has expressed a dislike in his drinking habits) testify or sign an affadavit?
I'm in Fulton county. And no i'm not an attorney, i'm an RN. But because my husband and I are going through this very situation, I have alot of experience just from my experience, speaking to different attorneys, witnessing other family law cases, not to mention my own research on family law. And not things i have just read on the Internet, real research in the law library here in Georgia, because we were going to go pro se. So, i know what i'm speaking about when it comes to relocation. I also know for a fact, A child of older then 10 years of age is certainly entitled to have their opinions heard and given weight in legal proceedings about custody in Georgia. This is not along going to decide, but the judge will consider the child's testimony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">