• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take my child to Disney for vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuffbrk

Two days? OP's talking five. To *me* that's pushing it.
True, but timing is everything! Op is planning on the week prior to Winter Break. There is not a teacher in the World - K or gr 2 -that is going to teach a new math concept at that time. Don't forget, they're going to be watching "holiday" choirs, having holiday parties, etc. during that week and in that age group.

Additionally, no reason for OP to not obtain class work and homework assignments prior to the trip. The kiddies can complete them beforehand - no complaining - price to pay for going away!!! Or, with the dates scheduled, the assignments can be completed over Winter Break - with OP's oversight.

Just my 2 cents!

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
True, but timing is everything! Op is planning on the week prior to Winter Break. There is not a teacher in the World - K or gr 2 -that is going to teach a new math concept at that time. Don't forget, they're going to be watching "holiday" choirs, having holiday parties, etc. during that week and in that age group.
In the whole world, huh? I'm betting you can back that up. Or not. :rolleyes: Of course there are teachers who will not do so. As there are teachers who will.

Additionally, no reason for OP to not obtain class work and homework assignments prior to the trip. The kiddies can complete them beforehand - no complaining - price to pay for going away!!! Or, with the dates scheduled, the assignments can be completed over Winter Break - with OP's oversight.

Just my 2 cents!
Do your 2 cents realize that there are school systems that prohibit handing out assignments prior to vacations, specifically to discourage unexcused absences?

CJane

Do your 2 cents realize that there are school systems that prohibit handing out assignments prior to vacations, specifically to discourage unexcused absences?
Mine does, as already stated.

And with all of this "I would" or "What if dad kicks off" or "It's ONLY 2nd grade" (lovely attitude, that)... No one seems to grasp that "Additional Time" which is what dad is trying to use is MUTUALLY AGREED UPON.

A judge MIGHT order Mom to allow... but the SAME judge MIGHT also be mightily upset w/Dad for dragging mom into court for not agreeing to the child missing an entire week of school at the end of semester... which btw is when midterm exams are generally given.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, I had a judge who pretty much went with "well, the arrangements are already made, and it would be a problem to change them, and yeah he should have discussed this with you first, but what about the money he's already put into it, and it wouldn't be fair since the kids already know about the trip......" Fine. I took that order straight to the school and told them that my kids had best be given excused absences.

I'm sorry..... as much as I'm down with the occasional mental health day, I'm not one to pull my kids out of school for more than a day or two, max. My job has certain expectations regarding attendance. So do my kids' "jobs".

CJane

It IS only second grade. Having a love for learning isn't determined by perfect attendance.
This is true. But it IS helped along by parents who take school seriously.

And while it might be ONLY second grade to a grown-up who doesn't even remember 2nd grade clearly, it's SCHOOL in all caps to the actual second grader. And MY second grader would miss a TON of work that she would have to work VERY hard to make up if I allowed her to miss a week of school at end of semester.

My ex pulled the 'it's only second grade' crap when Wild was falling behind on her reading list. He also thinks that as long as the kids get C's it's ok because being average is all we should ever expect of them. Thankfully, they have one parent who takes their education seriously enough to have expectations.

CJane

Please don't make me shudder again.
Oh, I shouldn't tell you then that he said "The average American reads at a 5th grade level. I don't understand why you push them so hard to read above level."

He's saying these things to a woman who, in 1st grade, tested off the available charts for reading/comprehension. You shudder. I get nauseous.

His 'stance' is that being perceived as smarter than everyone else will cause them to be outcasts... and their social development will suffer.

Last edited:

wileybunch

This is true. But it IS helped along by parents who take school seriously.
I would say it differently -- that is is helped along by parents who take LEARNING seriously (because learning comes from many sources, not just the time spent in a formal school).

My ex pulled the 'it's only second grade' crap when Wild was falling behind on her reading list. He also thinks that as long as the kids get C's it's ok because being average is all we should ever expect of them. Thankfully, they have one parent who takes their education seriously enough to have expectations.
"All" we should ever expect is that they live somewhere near their potential -- which for some kids, C would be GREAT, not even average where others it would be a sign something's wrong.

Getting a little more off topic, I do disagree, though, with elementary school teachers telling kids they are preparing them for college. :rolleyes: For all the issues we have with "the younger generation", letting kids be kids when they are young is not one of the causes. I think some ppl stress out too much and think they have to "start kids young". Let kids be kids (which also includes letting them be kids that enjoy learning and with parents that value learning, as well).

JakeTheDad

I can not possibly be the only parent who wants to take their children out of school for 5 days for vacation? I mean, Disney is flocked with kids every day of the week!

Spoke with the school, they said the time will be excused not unexcused.

It's not my son's fault that I am not married to his mother, if I were married to her, we CERTAINLY WOULD be going to Disney, without question! Just because we are no longer together, that is not a valid reason for him not to vacation with me. As long as the school is okay with it- and they are.

As for schoolwork, I am expected and willing to do whatever homework the teacher sends home daily, so why not during vacation?

CJane

Just because we are no longer together, that is not a valid reason for him not to vacation with me.
It would be different if this were ordered time.

But your 'additional time' clause doesn't say that you can just willy-nilly take the child for a 5 day stretch. It says "Mutual agreement". Mom doesn't NEED a valid reason not to agree.

You're taking it to the courts. We get that. Just be equally prepared for the judge to say no as yes.

CJane

http://mouseforless.com/downloads/kids/SchoolExcuse/SE1.shtml
Read this letter.
It explains where educational ideas can be utilized in Disney.
There are also art classes and special effects opportunities in Disney Studios.
So, for the sake of argument... cuz you already know how likely I am to take my kids to Disney ;) ...

Wouldn't the parent who is claiming that the Disney vacation is educational actually have to utilize these 'educational opportunities'? You can't exactly go and claim that meeting Sleeping Beauty and riding the Pumpkin Coach or spending 4 hours in line for Epcot is educational, right?

LdiJ

Oh, I shouldn't tell you then that he said "The average American reads at a 5th grade level. I don't understand why you push them so hard to read above level."

He's saying these things to a woman who, in 1st grade, tested off the available charts for reading/comprehension. You shudder. I get nauseous.

His 'stance' is that being perceived as smarter than everyone else will cause them to be outcasts... and their social development will suffer.
At 10 and 11, when everyone else was still reading kids chapter books, I was reading books like Gone With The Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird. I was in the 100 percentile always for reading. The only time I dipped below that was when I ended up in the 98 percentile when I took the GMAT.

I know that my parents never took us out of school for vacation, I don't recall anyone else's who did either. However, the OP's school seems to be ok with it....so if he takes it to court its going to boil down to what the judge thinks about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">