• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I take my child to Disney for vacation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJane

At 10 and 11, when everyone else was still reading kids chapter books, I was reading books like Gone With The Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird. I was in the 100 percentile always for reading. The only time I dipped below that was when I ended up in the 98 percentile when I took the GMAT.

I know that my parents never took us out of school for vacation, I don't recall anyone else's who did either. However, the OP's school seems to be ok with it....so if he takes it to court its going to boil down to what the judge thinks about it.
Heh. And here's the reason I'm all twisted and crazy and dangerous... The very first non-school chapter book I ever read - in first grade, mind you - was Firestarter by Stephen King. I was 6 1/2.

We never took vacations during school either. We took them in the summer when vacations are supposed to be taken.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, for the sake of argument... cuz you already know how likely I am to take my kids to Disney ;) ...

Wouldn't the parent who is claiming that the Disney vacation is educational actually have to utilize these 'educational opportunities'? You can't exactly go and claim that meeting Sleeping Beauty and riding the Pumpkin Coach or spending 4 hours in line for Epcot is educational, right?
Well yeah. But if they are planning to go and attend the art instruction at Disney Studios and the areas at Epcot and such then it is educational. If you go during a non-peak time you can do it all. And truthfully save up hon. That is what I am going to do. It can be relatively cheap depending on HOW you do things.

jbowman

Im on both sides of the fence here.

In CA, kindergarten is not mandatory, not sure about FL. But if so, I would find it hard for a judge to rule that the child couldnt miss school when kindergarten is not a mandatory grade (or whatever). It would be the same as him ruling that the child couldnt miss pre-school or day care. Same thing.

But on the other side of the coin... there is no way in H E double hockey sticks that my kid would miss school for Disney for 5 whole days. Educational, my butt. That is like saying a double fudge banana split is healthy for you because there is a banana in it. I think that arguement is ridiculous. Just my opinion.

LdiJ

Heh. And here's the reason I'm all twisted and crazy and dangerous... The very first non-school chapter book I ever read - in first grade, mind you - was Firestarter by Stephen King. I was 6 1/2.

We never took vacations during school either. We took them in the summer when vacations are supposed to be taken.
No doubt I would have been reading his as well...however he didn't start publishing until I was a senior in high school....I loved his early books....My absolute favorite was The Stand.

wileybunch

At 10 and 11, when everyone else was still reading kids chapter books, I was reading books like Gone With The Wind and To Kill a Mockingbird. I was in the 100 percentile always for reading. The only time I dipped below that was when I ended up in the 98 percentile when I took the GMAT.
Bragger. LOL! You were probably reading BEFORE you ever went to school, though, so that's not really an argument for school either way, this sounds more like God-given talent.

LdiJ

Bragger. LOL! You were probably reading BEFORE you ever went to school, though, so that's not really an argument for school either way, this sounds more like God-given talent.
Believe it or not I wasn't. I just picked it up really really fast once I started. I pick up foreign languages fast too.

CJane

No doubt I would have been reading his as well...however he didn't start publishing until I was a senior in high school....I loved his early books....My absolute favorite was The Stand.
Wow. You're really old. :p

I didn't read the Stand til I was in 7th grade... it's my mom's favorite book of his. But I lean towards The Shining. I just loved it... and still read it almost every winter.

LdiJ

Wow. You're really old. :p

I didn't read the Stand til I was in 7th grade... it's my mom's favorite book of his. But I lean towards The Shining. I just loved it... and still read it almost every winter.
I am probably old enough to be your mother...:eek: LOL I turned 50 in July.

CJane

I was reading before pre-school at age 3 1/2. I expected my kids to be able to read prior to KG as well.

ezmarelda

Cut? Or uncut? :)
Uncut...:), although IT is still my fav

I was reading Tom Sawyer at 7yo...I didn't up grade to SK 'till round 9...I don't remember if Carrie or Cujo was first.
Just read Rose Madder recently,would recomend it to any woman who has been in an abusive relationship.

My 2cents about OP's cunundrum Take kiddos on vaca during your spicificly designated parenting time...perferably NOT during school (but then I come from a family of educators too ;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">