• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much alimony will I have to pay? Arizona

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wipeout

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Married for 15 years. I make 72,000 yr, she makes 30,000 yr. 2 kids, 12 and 16. I already know I will pay $360 a month for child support, 50/50 custody. No physical or mental issues. I'm 41, she is 37.

Anyone have a rough estimate? $ and duration. Thanks.

Jay

Proserpina

Impossible to say for sure, but it does look like you'll be paying something for at least a short while.

Get thee to a competent attorney - at the very least a local attorney may have an idea of what tends to happen in your area.

(I know, you'd really like more info than this but it can vary so greatly that it'd just be guesswork at this point)

LdiJ

Impossible to say for sure, but it does look like you'll be paying something for at least a short while.

Get thee to a competent attorney - at the very least a local attorney may have an idea of what tends to happen in your area.

(I know, you'd really like more info than this but it can vary so greatly that it'd just be guesswork at this point)
I agree, there are few official "guidelines" for alimony.

Bali Hai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Married for 15 years. I make 72,000 yr, she makes 30,000 yr. 2 kids, 12 and 16. I already know I will pay $360 a month for child support, 50/50 custody. No physical or mental issues. I'm 41, she is 37.

Anyone have a rough estimate? $ and duration. Thanks.

Jay
What makes you think you will pay any alimony??

wipeout

What makes you think you will pay any alimony??
Just looking at the general guidelines for az. Maintain the same lifestyle. The length we have been married and I make a lot more money than she does.

Do you think I won't have to pay any?

LdiJ

Just looking at the general guidelines for az. Maintain the same lifestyle. The length we have been married and I make a lot more money than she does.

Do you think I won't have to pay any?
Based on the length of your marriage and the differences in income you definitely are going to have to pay at least a few years of alimony.

Bali has very strong anti-alimony, personal opinions.

Bali Hai

Based on the length of your marriage and the differences in income you definitely are going to have to pay at least a few years of alimony.

Bali has very strong anti-alimony, personal opinions.
In other words, the length of the marriage means the length of time you had the poor woman oppressed, barefoot and pregnant.

The differences in income is not from her lack of ambition, but because you had more ambition and you will be penalized for that.

LD has very strong pro-alimony personal opinions because she's a woman and believes women are entitled at birth to be supported by men.

She strongly believes in alimony where the wife has had children and needs to be paid for that "service". She believes this even though there isn't a factor in any state's statutes for judges to consider the mere fact that having children entitles a woman to an alimony award.

Isis1

In other words, the length of the marriage means the length of time you had the poor woman oppressed, barefoot and pregnant.

The differences in income is not from her lack of ambition, but because you had more ambition and you will be penalized for that.

LD has very strong pro-alimony personal opinions because she's a woman and believes women are entitled at birth to be supported by men.

She strongly believes in alimony where the wife has had children and needs to be paid for that "service". She believes this even though there isn't a factor in any state's statutes for judges to consider the mere fact that having children entitles a woman to an alimony award.

bali, if the wife was the one making more money, she would be paying alimony. regardless of who carried the child to term.

Bali Hai

bali, if the wife was the one making more money, she would be paying alimony. regardless of who carried the child to term.
If I were a betting man, my money would be on the woman NOT being ordered to pay alimony in your case.

You have no idea how any particular judge is going to rule.

Proserpina

If I were a betting man, my money would be on the woman NOT being ordered to pay alimony in your case.

You have no idea how any particular judge is going to rule.
And neither do you.

Bali, what you, me, Ld, Isabella - ANYONE - thinks about alimony is about as relevant to this thread as the dead mosquito on the bottom of my flip-flops. The law allows for alimony in some cases, and that's pretty much the bottom line.

OP asked a question and was answered as accurately as is possible at this juncture - because of the length of the marriage and the disparity in incomes he will, most likely, be paying something for at least a short amount of time.

Bali Hai

And neither do you.

Bali, what you, me, Ld, Isabella - ANYONE - thinks about alimony is about as relevant to this thread as the dead mosquito on the bottom of my flip-flops. The law allows for alimony in some cases, and that's pretty much the bottom line.

OP asked a question and was answered as accurately as is possible at this juncture - because of the length of the marriage and the disparity in incomes he will, most likely, be paying something for at least a short amount of time.
Well the law needs to be changed along with limiting the judge's power, but that's also beside the point.

My advice and rationale is just as valid for OP's question, and, just as accurate as all of yours.

The length of the marriage and disparity of incomes are NOT the only factors considered for an alimony award. That's the case at least IF the judge follows the statutes.

In my opinion, (which is just as valid as all your opinions for this subject) alimony is just as likely NOT to be awarded from what little information we have from this OP, and, an award varies from judge to judge.

I don't want every man who comes here to ask "how much and for how long will I be required to pay alimony" as if it's a given because women programmed him that way from birth. That's playing right into the alimony proponets hand.

Poster's who come here should be asking how alimony can be CHALLANGED rather than asking how much and for how long like a henpecked, whipped dog!!

Proserpina

Well the law needs to be changed along with limiting the judge's power, but that's also beside the point.

My advice and rationale is just as valid for OP's question, and, just as accurate as all of yours.

The length of the marriage and disparity of incomes are NOT the only factors considered for an alimony award. That's the case at least IF the judge follows the statutes.
I didn't say they'd be the only factors (though they'd be at the front of the line).

In my opinion, (which is just as valid as all your opinions for this subject) alimony is just as likely NOT to be awarded from what little information we have from this OP, and, an award varies from judge to judge.
Go take a peek at recent alimony/support decisions in Arizona. You'll see a pattern - in longer marriages involving disparate incomes alimony is more likely to be awarded than not (if only for a short time). Wouldn't you rather OP knew that?

Bali Hai

I didn't say they'd be the only factors (though they'd be at the front of the line).

Go take a peek at recent alimony/support decisions in Arizona. You'll see a pattern - in longer marriages involving disparate incomes alimony is more likely to be awarded than not (if only for a short time). Wouldn't you rather OP knew that?
I don't need to peek at recent alimony decisions anywhere in the United States, because I already know what's "trendy".

The "pattern" you refer to is what concerns me. Each case is supposed to be decided on its own merits. Clearly this is not being done in AZ.

Proserpina

I don't need to peek at recent alimony decisions anywhere in the United States, because I already know what's "trendy".

The "pattern" you refer to is what concerns me. Each case is supposed to be decided on its own merits. Clearly this is not being done in AZ.
That was actually my point - whether it's right or wrong, there IS a trend and OP needs to be aware of that.

Bali, you know I don't agree with about 99% of alimony awards - in my mind there are perhaps one or two instances where alimony is justified - but that doesn't negate the basic truth here. The law allows for it, and in OP's situation it's not just possible, but probable that he'll be paying at least something (hopefully short term).

It does not make it right, or ethical, or moral but it is more realistic and I think it's better for OP to assume he WILL be paying something - because he'll be able to build a much more compelling argument than if he got blindsided from out of nowhere.

Forewarned is forearmed etc., etc.

Bali Hai

That was actually my point - whether it's right or wrong, there IS a trend and OP needs to be aware of that.

Bali, you know I don't agree with about 99% of alimony awards - in my mind there are perhaps one or two instances where alimony is justified - but that doesn't negate the basic truth here. The law allows for it, and in OP's situation it's not just possible, but probable that he'll be paying at least something (hopefully short term).

It does not make it right, or ethical, or moral but it is more realistic and I think it's better for OP to assume he WILL be paying something - because he'll be able to build a much more compelling argument than if he got blindsided from out of nowhere.

Forewarned is forearmed etc., etc.
If OP assumes he'll be paying alimony it will not only hurt his own case, but every case that comes after his.

If OP doesn't have the guts to fight alimony, that's going to be his loss and weakens every case that comes after him.

You go to war to win, not lose!!

If you don't agree with 99% of the alimony awards given, you should stand and fight with others who believe the same. Instead you shrug it off and say "the law provides for alimony" so blindly accept that and be happy with it.

That makes me question whether you really mean 99% or you are just saying that to appease the people ordered to pay it. This is what the king of England did to the colonists until the kings army got it's butt kicked and the kings laws and army were sent back to England on the boat they came over on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">