• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicating without a doctor seeing the kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JoLo0808

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

My ex’s wife is a RN, but here goes anyway. Every time one of the kids gets sick, she automatically puts all there of the kids on antibiotics without them seeing a doctor. Today she sends me a text saying my 2nd son has a pus pocket on his tonsil and her doc is putting everyone in their house on Augmentin – even my daughter who has no symptoms. My 2nd son has not seen a doctor, she just looked at his throat and saw the pus pocket – which I know is an indicator that strep may be present – but I know what the side effects of Augmentin are and would prefer he see a doctor before resorting to such a strong drug, plus I don’t think she should be making that decision without talking to me first even if it’s ok with my ex. Am I over reacting, or is she over-stepping?
Also – my ex is allergic to penicillin and Augmentin should not be taken by someone allergic to penicillin…something a doctor would have asked before prescribing!

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ID

My ex’s wife is a RN, but here goes anyway. Every time one of the kids gets sick, she automatically puts all there of the kids on antibiotics without them seeing a doctor. Today she sends me a text saying my 2nd son has a pus pocket on his tonsil and her doc is putting everyone in their house on Augmentin – even my daughter who has no symptoms. My 2nd son has not seen a doctor, she just looked at his throat and saw the pus pocket – which I know is an indicator that strep may be present – but I know what the side effects of Augmentin are and would prefer he see a doctor before resorting to such a strong drug, plus I don’t think she should be making that decision without talking to me first even if it’s ok with my ex. Am I over reacting, or is she over-stepping?
Also – my ex is allergic to penicillin and Augmentin should not be taken by someone allergic to penicillin…something a doctor would have asked before prescribing!
What do your custody orders say about medical decisions?

(on a personal note I think she is overstepping here - though I'm curious about something. Who is prescribing the antibiotics?)

Antigone*

This is a bit distressing to me and I only know from my own experience with my daughter, her doctors and the ton of different medications we've had to use. I've been told that the more the children are on antibiotics, the less they are prone to work when they are medically necessary.

Lealea, am I on the right track here?

JoLo0808

our order states that medical decisions will be joint except in the case of an emergency where the other parent cannot be reached.

the person prescribing is a friend of hers who is a NP.
I also wonder, Is it legal to prescribe medication without first seeing the patient?

JoLo0808

This is a bit distressing to me and I only know from my own experience with my daughter, her doctors and the ton of different medications we've had to use. I've been told that the more the children are on antibiotics, the less they are prone to work when they are medically necessary.

Lealea, am I on the right track here?
This is my understanding as well and the reason I am concerned. I'm not against antibiotics... but shouldn't the kids see a Dr - or even her NP - first?

Proserpina

our order states that medical decisions will be joint except in the case of an emergency where the other parent cannot be reached.

I also wonder, Is it legal to prescribe medication without first seeing the patient?
Ooooohkay.

Yes, she's overstepping, and you have every right to object.

It's not always illegal to prescribe without seeing the patient - but it becomes very hazy if that prescription is written to someone who isn't actually a patient.

Either way, this can be extremely dangerous - you don't prescribe antibiotics prophylactically unless there's a damn good reason to do so (my own example: if you've had rheumatic fever - like I did as a child - you'll usually be given prophylactic antibiotics before any even slightly invasive procedure - even teeth cleaning).

Talk to your ex. This needs to stop.

(and as an RN she should know better. I'd be very tempted to actually report her - but that's just me)

lealea1005

So you're saying the NP is prescribing antibiotics with out even examining the child? It's not illegal, but it's certainly foolish. Unfortunately, in your state, the NP can prescribe without MD supervision.

PS: I'm with Dogmatique...I'd report her too.

Last edited:

JoLo0808

Ooooohkay.

Yes, she's overstepping, and you have every right to object.

It's not always illegal to prescribe without seeing the patient - but it becomes very hazy if that prescription is written to someone who isn't actually a patient.

Either way, this can be extremely dangerous - you don't prescribe antibiotics prophylactically unless there's a damn good reason to do so (my own example: if you've had rheumatic fever - like I did as a child - you'll usually be given prophylactic antibiotics before any even slightly invasive procedure - even teeth cleaning).

Talk to your ex. This needs to stop.

(and as an RN she should know better. I'd be very tempted to actually report her - but that's just me)
ok - so in the case of my son, this may actually be a good idea because he had a strep infection a few years ago that mutated to HSP. Still - as a courtesy they should let me know when he is sick and they are putting him on meds - and I still think they should be seen by a Dr. - imagine if my ex had actually taken the drugs she brought home for the whole family and had an allergic reaction... that would be bad for the kids...

AngelaAZ

I can't advise you on the legal aspect to your case, but I'm an RN and will tell you from that standpoint it's ethically wrong. Are your children seen at the NP's place of practice? The problem prescribing medication to people who are not seen in your practice is you are not then medically covered by a doctor. NP's still have to be covered by a doctor for prescribing and diagnosing. An agreement between the NP and the Doctor only covers the practice the NP is in. Good luck!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
ok - so in the case of my son, this may actually be a good idea because he had a strep infection a few years ago that mutated to HSP. Still - as a courtesy they should let me know when he is sick and they are putting him on meds - and I still think they should be seen by a Dr. - imagine if my ex had actually taken the drugs she brought home for the whole family and had an allergic reaction... that would be bad for the kids...
A nurse practitioner is not a doctor.:rolleyes:

CJane

because I asked her if the kids had been taken to see the dr and she said no
So you don't actually KNOW. And the NP is NOT a doctor.

Legally? The NP absolutely can call in a scrip - prophylactic or otherwise - based on the medical history of the people involved, and his/her familiarity with said history.

What is it you hope to accomplish LEGALLY? An order for Mom to not medicate the kids?

JoLo0808

I can't advise you on the legal aspect to your case, but I'm an RN and will tell you from that standpoint it's ethically wrong. Are your children seen at the NP's place of practice? The problem prescribing medication to people who are not seen in your practice is you are not then medically covered by a doctor. NP's still have to be covered by a doctor for prescribing and diagnosing. An agreement between the NP and the Doctor only covers the practice the NP is in. Good luck!
So - am I understanding you to mean that if they take meds that she has prescribed by the NP, who does not see the kids in the first place, and something goes wrong, we wouldn't have a legal leg to stand on?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">