• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TV Network backed out, what can I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjv3131

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

I recently signed an agreement with an OTA local TV Network affiliate here in my area. Since the beginning we had told them it was going to be a show about music videos. (I was gonna buy the time with them.) Everything was ok until today when I went to another meeting and apparently they found out I was using their logo on our presentation pages to our clients and website.

So, no probelm with that, they told us to take them down so we did. I just recenlty came from a second meeting with the higher ups and backed out of the deal since, it's a music videos show and the music videos are owned by someone else, they are afraid of getting sued. Now, I am the one that is gonna look bad with my clients. The manager here never told me a thing that they couldn't show music videos until after signing the agreement and now I'm stuck because I have to tell my clients and I have to pay a cameraman for the shots.

Can something be done here?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (Texas)?

I recently signed an agreement with an OTA local TV Network affiliate here in my area. Since the beginning we had told them it was going to be a show about music videos. (I was gonna buy the time with them.) Everything was ok until today when I went to another meeting and apparently they found out I was using their logo on our presentation pages to our clients and website.

So, no probelm with that, they told us to take them down so we did. I just recenlty came from a second meeting with the higher ups and backed out of the deal since, it's a music videos show and the music videos are owned by someone else, they are afraid of getting sued. Now, I am the one that is gonna look bad with my clients. The manager here never told me a thing that they couldn't show music videos until after signing the agreement and now I'm stuck because I have to tell my clients and I have to pay a cameraman for the shots.

Can something be done here?
They are acting prudently and in the best interest of their stakeholders. I don't see that you have any course of action here but do create your own original work if you want to move forward with your project.

cyjeff

As you were answered when you asked, you could always get the rights to the videos prior to broadcast and everyone would be happy.

I know, I know... you don't want to do that. You want to just be able to steal someone's work and use it for your own celebrity and they should be damn glad that you think their stuff is good enough for your show.

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

I recommend using local bands and videos instead. Still get their permission but that permission may be free or, at least, very cheap.

jjv3131

As you were answered when you asked, you could always get the rights to the videos prior to broadcast and everyone would be happy.

I know, I know... you don't want to do that. You want to just be able to steal someone's work and use it for your own celebrity and they should be damn glad that you think their stuff is good enough for your show.

Nope. Doesn't work that way.

I recommend using local bands and videos instead. Still get their permission but that permission may be free or, at least, very cheap.
Mhm**************.ok, how about this. If I buy time at the TV Network that owns the videos? Do I still need to get permission.

Fo example, I buy time at my local NBC affiliate to show a repeat of the Tonight Show in the afternoon....or something like that?

Isis1

Mhm**************.ok, how about this. If I buy time at the TV Network that owns the videos? Do I still need to get permission.

Fo example, I buy time at my local NBC affiliate to show a repeat of the Tonight Show in the afternoon....or something like that?
yes. you still need permission.

Antigone*

Yes, you still need permission.

cyjeff

Yes.

While the "youtube" generation believes that anything recorded can be broadcast, you are in a different world....

I recommend seeking the aid of an attorney well versed in broadcast law. You really can't afford the lawsuit the networks would throw at you. Or the recording artists.

jjv3131

...unless the property is old enough to be considered public domain.

Buy the air time and recite Shakespeare.
Is their really necessity for double posting? Well thanks for your help. I'll just broadcast my show in Mexico since no one cares over there... lol.

cyjeff

...unless the property is old enough to be considered public domain.

Buy the air time and recite Shakespeare.
A bit of trivia...

Did you know that was the reason that all of those old Looney Tunes cartoons used classical music? Because they were in the public domain and they didn't have to pay a dime for their use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">