• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bullied into Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bankruptemplyee

My former employer has sued me for breach of contract and quatum meruit. The allegations are based on a fictionalized version of events which were used to fire me from the company, which the company is defining as a resignation from my end. Their translation of the event as “resignation” is then being used to sue me for money. The company is using the legal process to their advantage by piling on paperwork and discovery challenges, change of venue, etc to force me to settle with them for money that I don’t owe them to begin with. Are there legal provisions to protect an individual given the harassment, financial loss and emotional distress. This is a multi-billion dollar corporation who is willing to push me to bankruptcy before I can even get to my day in court. Can I go on the offensive to challenge this behavior? Virginia State

Last edited:

Antigone*

My former employer has sued me for breach of contract and quatum meruit. The allegations are based on a fictionalized version of events which were used to fire me from the company, which the company is defining as a resignation from my end. Their translation of the event as “resignation” is then being used to sue me for money. The company is using the legal process to their advantage by piling on paperwork and discovery challenges, change of venue, etc to force me to settle with them for money that I don’t owe them to begin with. Are there legal provisions to protect an individual given the harassment, financial loss and emotional distress. This is a multi-billion dollar corporation who is willing to push me to bankruptcy before I can even get to my day in court. Can I go on the offensive to challenge this behaviorWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why did you delete your other thread and why did you post in this area of the forum? What on earth does this have to do with fringe benefits:confused:

There so totally has to be a full moon coming ~ they tin foil hat society is showing up by the truck load:eek:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My former employer has sued me for breach of contract and quatum meruit. The allegations are based on a fictionalized version of events which were used to fire me from the company, which the company is defining as a resignation from my end. Their translation of the event as “resignation” is then being used to sue me for money. The company is using the legal process to their advantage by piling on paperwork and discovery challenges, change of venue, etc to force me to settle with them for money that I don’t owe them to begin with. Are there legal provisions to protect an individual given the harassment, financial loss and emotional distress. This is a multi-billion dollar corporation who is willing to push me to bankruptcy before I can even get to my day in court. Can I go on the offensive to challenge this behaviorWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You need an attorney...or whatever the equivalent of an attorney is in your as-yet-unnamed country.

Last edited:

bankruptemplyee

Sorry -- the lawsuit was filed in Virginia, so US law does apply... I do have a lawyer who is very focused on the defensive strategy, yet not so much on the offensive strategy. He has no ideas on how to pursue this with the employer and charge them with anything. Maybe I don't have the right lawyer? Before I change him though, I need to know what kind of law and what kind of lawyer I should go with? This kind of bullying and coersion tactics should be challengeable -- I just don't know how...? Please help!:(

bankruptemplyee

Why did you delete your other thread and why did you post in this area of the forum? What on earth does this have to do with fringe benefits:confused:

There so totally has to be a full moon coming ~ they tin foil hat society is showing up by the truck load:eek:
I actually thought that the breach of contract would fall more on benefits since they are suing me for the re-payment of an benefit that I took when I was under their employe... Maybe I was wrong... How do I change the whole thread seamlessly between topics?

eerelations

I actually thought that the breach of contract would fall more on benefits since they are suing me for the re-payment of an benefit that I took when I was under their employe... Maybe I was wrong... How do I change the whole thread seamlessly between topics?
This is the first time you've mentioned "benefits" in this entire thread - so how's anyone to know this is about benefits?

So help us a little more here:
  1. What was the benefit you "took" when you were their employee?
  2. Why are they suing you for its return?
Maybe we can help you a little more if you answer these questions.

Antigone*

This is the first time you've mentioned "benefits" in this entire thread - so how's anyone to know this is about benefits?

So help us a little more here:
  1. What was the benefit you "took" when you were their employee?
  2. Why are they suing you for its return?
Maybe we can help you a little more if you answer these questions.
If I were a betting woman, I'd say something like tuition reimbursement.

But then again, this OP makes me wonder.

bankruptemplyee

If I were a betting woman, I'd say something like tuition reimbursement.

But then again, this OP makes me wonder.
Yup, you are right -- tuition reimbursement. There was no agreement to pay them back, and furthermore, they claimed that I have to relocate once I graduate -- Definitely no such agreement was ever in place (niether written nor verbal/oral agreement). Since I did not relocate, one fine day, they told me to turn in my badge and if I didn't leave the premises that they would have me arrested!

Turns out after that incident they had filed a complaint against me 2 months prior and never told me about it (did not serve the complaint) -- so I worked horrendous hours and weekends thinking that they would agree to not have me relocate if I worked hard, and then I find out they always intended to fire me and sue me all along!

Now, just because I chose to stand up to the bullying of a multi-billion dollar company, I am forced to spend $$ defending myself while they use the legal process to extend this suit and make it more and more expensive for me.

Is it just my biased view or can this treatment and this suit be challenged?

Antigone*

Yup, you are right -- tuition reimbursement. There was no agreement to pay them back, and furthermore, they claimed that I have to relocate once I graduate -- Definitely no such agreement was ever in place (niether written nor verbal/oral agreement). Since I did not relocate, one fine day, they told me to turn in my badge and if I didn't leave the premises that they would have me arrested!

Turns out after that incident they had filed a complaint against me 2 months prior and never told me about it (did not serve the complaint) -- so I worked horrendous hours and weekends thinking that they would agree to not have me relocate if I worked hard, and then I find out they always intended to fire me and sue me all along!

Now, just because I chose to stand up to the bullying of a multi-billion dollar company, I am forced to spend $$ defending myself while they use the legal process to extend this suit and make it more and more expensive for me.

Is it just my biased view or can this treatment and this suit be challenged?
I'm sure it is in your employee handbook about giving back the tuition reimbursement if you leave within a specific amount of time. I'd say you're sunk ~ but then again, who am I. Hire an attorney and pay him to tell you the same thing.:cool:

Look at it this way, OP. You took the money on their terms. You didn't have to take it. You should have known the details of their reimbusement program before taking their money.

bankruptemplyee

I'm sure it is in your employee handbook about giving back the tuition reimbursement if you leave within a specific amount of time. I'd say you're sunk ~ but then again, who am I. Hire an attorney and pay him to tell you the same thing.:cool:

Look at it this way, OP. You took the money on their terms. You didn't have to take it. You should have known the details of their reimbusement program before taking their money.
You know I would agree with the latter part of your statement if I hadn't done the due diligence already -- I did clarify that there was nothing in any part of my employee handbook on this, and also, before I took the job with the company, I had clarified that they would pay for my tuition and any travel if I did not relocate. I even made sure they got the approval from the main head of the company. They gave me all the verbal re-assurances -- Thinking back I should have documented this in writing and forced them in writing, but really back then I never dreamed that something like this would occur....

I can't imagine there is no help here -- this can not be right that any company or any wealthy person for that matter can bully another poorer employee... I just don't know how to pursue this and make sure that they stop and pay me back whatever I spent so far..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">