• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Earrings, Ear Piercing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

aubreyz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I feel practically silly asking this question, but it is becoming a constant issue here. 10 year old daughter, On paper, dad is CP and I am NCP, although we split time 50/50, one week on, one week off w/a Wednesday night visit. We've been divorced since she was 5.

Daughter first got her ears pierced at 5, and they didn't heal properly... Primarily because she fiddled with them so often. We let them heal up within 6 months. Daughter got them re-pierced at 6 1/2. Both times her Dad took her, but the second time it was to a very upscale jewelry store.

Dad and I have had this underlying issue for years--he makes a great deal more money than I do, and is very flashy about it. He insists that daughter wears very expensive clothing, shoes, gets her hair cut at a fancy salon, etc. I don't love how much importance he places on appearances because I don't want daughter to have those values, but at the same time, he covers all the costs of those things... Just gets mad if we happen to run into him on my time and he sees her in an outfit from Target or something.

So back to the earrings... Dad has purchased two pairs of earrings she can wear; platinum hoops and diamond studs, both from Tiffany & Co.; the hoops were $700 and the studs were $1500 (I am constantly reminded). First of all, daughter doesn't always want to wear these earrings. She knows that she is supposed to, but at every opportunity is taking them out to borrow dangly earrings from friends or from my own collection.

Dad is trying to say that she can't take her earrings out while she's at my house. He says that it is a medical issue, and that her ears will get infected if she has anything less than platinum posts. This is what the jeweler said was the case, not a doctor. She's gone without an infection for the entire 4 years they've been pierced for the second time, so it's not as if she's at great risk or has tested positive for any kind of metal allergy.

Frankly, I think his "rule" is ridiculous; I do NOT want him trying to make rules for what will happen at MY house, and I do NOT want to be responsible for the loss of an expensive piece of jewelry, should something happen to an earring while she takes them out. The only *problem*, as I see it, is that we do not have joint legal; HE has legal. However, this is just a carry-over from a time about 2 years ago when I lived in another city and we had temporary orders that he be made CP and have decision making power. Since I've returned to her city, we've been parenting as if we have joint custody and joint legal, but it won't be official in court until this fall.

It seems, first of all, that status quo would be on my side as far as decision making is concerned, but second of all, that something as menial as changing a girl's earrings would not be considered a "legal" issue--I wouldn't think this authority would extend during my visitation unless it were a true medical issue, documented by a doctor, and not an issue of snobbery. Am I wrong?

Proserpina

Oh my dear....I cannot see any judge in this country dinging you for NOT making your daughter wear Daddy's Platinum Tiffany Earrings when she's at home with you. In fact, I cannot see a judge ordering your daughter to wear ANY earrings at all against her wishes!

That is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY ridiculous!

In fact, I'm going to leave it there because I just can't find the words.

I also strongly suggest that you go back to court and get joint legal custody - I see no reason whatsoever why this shouldn't or wouldn't be awarded.

mistoffolees

Oh my dear....I cannot see any judge in this country dinging you for NOT making your daughter wear Daddy's Platinum Tiffany Earrings when she's at home with you. In fact, I cannot see a judge ordering your daughter to wear ANY earrings at all against her wishes!

That is COMPLETELY and UTTERLY ridiculous!

In fact, I'm going to leave it there because I just can't find the words.

I also strongly suggest that you go back to court and get joint legal custody - I see no reason whatsoever why this shouldn't or wouldn't be awarded.
I agree.

If this were a NEW piercing, however, practical issues would need to be considered. (the following doesn't apply to OP, but might apply to others reading this).

Father has the child every other week and is the custodial parent. It appears that he will continue to get the ears re-pierced as long as necessary if they close up.

Having just been through this with my daughter, they do make severe warnings that the earrings should not be removed for something like 6 weeks - (of course, they also say that hoops should not be worn for a lot longer than that). So I would say that the father could make a very strong case in leaving the earrings in place until the ears were healed.

In the interest of keeping the daughter from going through endless re-piercings, it would be reasonable to expect that the earrings need to be left in place until the ears are completely healed. After that, it should not be an issue.

My concern in THIS situation argues for exactly what OP is concerned about - kids at that age tend to lose earrings. What is going to happen when the daughter loses one of a $1,500 set of earrings? I would personally tell the father that I don't want those expensive earrings at my house and if he insists on her wearing them and they are lost that it's just too bad. If he still insists, I'd let her take them out the minute she walked in the door and store them in a safe place until she's ready to leave. There's not a thing that Dad can do about it.

justalayman

=mistoffolees;2614848] So I would say that the father could make a very strong case in leaving the earrings in place until the ears were healed.

In the interest of keeping the daughter from going through endless re-piercings, it would be reasonable to expect that the earrings need to be left in place until the ears are completely healed. After that, it should not be an issue.
I would have to guess they are well healed by now:

She's gone without an infection for the entire 4 years they've been pierced for the second time, so it's not as if she's at great risk or has tested positive for any kind of metal allergy.
my suggestion would be to tell dad to purchase a set of platinum studs with no stones. Something quite small. I would also suggest you ask him to sign an agreement to hold your harmless should those studs get lost.

If he won't agree to that, when you pick he up or he drops her off, I would have the daughter remove the fancy earrings and hand them to dad and turn around and walk away.

then you can supply some earrings that are to your liking for your daughter to wear while at your house.

Last edited:

frylover

I'd be afraid to let my kids out of the house wearing $1500 earrings! I think the most expensive ones I own were about $100 and that was a wedding gift from my hubby to be!

aubreyz

Thanks for the quick responses. I never would have changed daughter's earrings prematurely; I totally agree that they need time to heal. I think that 4 years is plenty. I think that 6 months would have been plenty, but oh well...

We've been preparing to have a new custody agreement submitted, and so far have been in agreement on *most* things. He just the other day pulled the "I have decision-making/legal authority" card about the earrings situation, and while I thought I was within my rights wanted to make sure.

It probably is in my best interests to hurry things along w/r/t court documentation to restore all aspects of joint custody before it becomes a greater issue, or other issues arise.

CourtClerk

Dad and I have had this underlying issue for years--he makes a great deal more money than I do, and is very flashy about it. He insists that daughter wears very expensive clothing, shoes, gets her hair cut at a fancy salon, etc. I don't love how much importance he places on appearances because I don't want daughter to have those values,
STOP!!!!!! I had this very conversation with someone at work the other day. I don't see the problem with someone putting a tremendous emphasis on appearance. This is what people SEE. It's the first impression people get of you - and yes, you shouldn't be walking around looking like a pauper if you don't have to. However, I am the same person who has grounded her child for wearing (or at least attempting to wear) a wrinkled shirt or forgetting to get his hair cut. I personally don't want my child looking homely either. When you're at the park or playground that's one thing.... but when you're anywhere else, you need to look and dress accordingly.

I do NOT want to be responsible for the loss of an expensive piece of jewelry, should something happen to an earring while she takes them out.
Then you shouldn't allow her to take them out. Seems easy enough to me. He should also consider (if he hasn't) locking backs for the earrings, that way they won't accidentally fall out and you don't have to worry about that.

justalayman

STOP!!!!!! I had this very conversation with someone at work the other day. I don't see the problem with someone putting a tremendous emphasis on appearance. This is what people SEE. It's the first impression people get of you - and yes, you shouldn't be walking around looking like a pauper if you don't have to. However, I am the same person who has grounded her child for wearing (or at least attempting to wear) a wrinkled shirt or forgetting to get his hair cut. I personally don't want my child looking homely either. When you're at the park or playground that's one thing.... but when you're anywhere else, you need to look and dress accordingly.

It doesn't take $1000 earrings to make one look like they aren't a pauper. In fact, most people will not know if they are platinum or some other metal or diamond or the fake diamonds. If strangers are getting that close, they are too close anyway.

While I have no problem suggesting a person should present themselves well, it doesn't take items like in this discussion to do that.

aubreyz

Okay, perhaps I needed to further preface my statement, CourtClerk, because you've taken what I've said the wrong way. I am not opposed to my daughter looking nice. I do NOT think that it sends the correct message to have her father walk up to her in a restaurant while she's with me and pull back the collar of her shirt while practically SHAMING her, sarcastically asking, "Where did you come upon THIS article of clothing? Goodwill?" I do NOT want her to think that what makes her special is WHERE she can afford to buy her clothes. If we're at Target buying dog food and happen to walk by an affordable shirt and she asks for it, I wouldn't just say "no" because it came from the store we were in.

As for the earrings, what you've suggested is what I've *been* doing for past few years. Before, my daughter wasn't too concerned about what was in her ears. Now that she'd like to experiment a bit more and occasionally wants to make a fashion statement, I don't think her dad should be able to decide what she can and cannot wear at my house.

And it wouldn't just stop there... Dad wanted to say I couldn't drive with her in the car because I'd gotten a ticket, dad wanted to say that our daughter needed to eat more meat at my house, and if he could, would like to completely run my household from afar. It's not okay.

CourtClerk

While I have no problem suggesting a person should present themselves well, it doesn't take items like in this discussion to do that.
While I can agree with you, as mom is stating, if he's footing the bill, then the problem is what????

I kind of prefer my child not walk around in Target clothing either, not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just my preference. I pay for it, so....

I mean seriously, if the biggest of mom's issues are that dad doesn't want his daughter in Target clothing and wants her to wear her Tiffany earrings, then God bless them all.

Last edited:

justalayman

While I can agree with you, as mom is stating, if he's footing the bill, then the problem is what????

I kind of prefer my child not walk around in Target clothing either, not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just my preference. I pay for it, so....
what's with you folks beating up on Target? Just where do you buy clothes?

and no, I don't buy my clothes at target. can't remember the last time I was at a Target even. Just curious why Target is getting beat up on so much.

CourtClerk

pull back the collar of her shirt while practically SHAMING her, sarcastically asking, "Where did you come upon THIS article of clothing? Goodwill?"
Ok, now let's up the ante. Now he's pulling at the collar of her shirt and shaming her in public. Seems like if that was happening, then you would have said that in post #1. Now, the very FIRST time he did that, you did what exactly, because I'll tell you, the first time someone pulled MY child by the collar anywhere would be the very LAST time they did it - and I'd make sure of it.
As for the earrings, what you've suggested is what I've *been* doing for past few years. Before, my daughter wasn't too concerned about what was in her ears. Now that she'd like to experiment a bit more and occasionally wants to make a fashion statement, I don't think her dad should be able to decide what she can and cannot wear at my house.
Well, kids can't always do what they want, now can they? My child would like to make a fashion statement with those ridiculous skinny jeans... NOT. ALLOWED. PERIOD, and he'll just have to get over it. So will your daughter.

CourtClerk

what's with you folks beating up on Target? Just where do you buy clothes?

and no, I don't buy my clothes at target. can't remember the last time I was at a Target even. Just curious why Target is getting beat up on so much.
No one is beating up on Target, all I said is that I would prefer for my child not to wear Target clothing. Why Target? Because that was the example the OP used in post #1. The same stands for WalMart or Goodwill or the Salvation Army.

As to where I buy my clothes.... all over the place. Really, you don't want to shop with me.

aubreyz

I did make reference in my first post to his dislike of her clothing in public, but since that wasn't the issue at hand, didn't think I needed to go into full detail. And really, Target was just an example. The "shirt in question" on that particular day happened to be brand new and from Gapkids, which is apparently still well beneath him. (Incidentally, dad and I met while working together at Barney's--I was his boss. I'm not exactly a fashion dolt. :rolleyes:) It is important to me that my daughter looks nice and is well-groomed; clothing isn't normally the biggest issue as she wears a uniform to school, and hey... He has good taste--I almost always love the clothing he buys for her.

Ah well, we can agree to disagree about the earrings. In my house, I feel that she can wear the earrings she has been choosing on occasion. And we are not talking about neon pink hoops down to her shoulders or anything. Oddly enough, I DO have metal allergy, so all of my earrings are the type that are of higher-quality posts that I can wear to work in a business setting. So as far as I'm concerned, in my house, the issue of the earrings is not something "she'll just have to get over."

CourtClerk

I did make reference in my first post to his dislike of her clothing in public, but since that wasn't the issue at hand, didn't think I needed to go into full detail. And really, Target was just an example. The "shirt in question" on that particular day happened to be brand new and from Gapkids, which is apparently still well beneath him. (Incidentally, dad and I met while working together at Barney's--I was his boss. I'm not exactly a fashion dolt. :rolleyes:) It is important to me that my daughter looks nice and is well-groomed; clothing isn't normally the biggest issue as she wears a uniform to school, and hey... He has good taste--I almost always love the clothing he buys for her.
Well cool. There is no issue. You like the clothes. He likes to buy the clothes. Wonderful.
Ah well, we can agree to disagree about the earrings. In my house, I feel that she can wear the earrings she has been choosing on occasion. And we are not talking about neon pink hoops down to her shoulders or anything. Oddly enough, I DO have metal allergy, so all of my earrings are the type that are of higher-quality posts that I can wear to work in a business setting. So as far as I'm concerned, in my house, the issue of the earrings is not something "she'll just have to get over."
Take the earrings out always with your supervision and you take responsibility for the earrings. Let her play dress up in your house. Replace the earrings when she's done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">