• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Facial Hair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eerelations

Agree with cbg and every other responder here - as soon as you demand religious accommodation, your prospective employer is going to request a letter from your rabbi as proof that you really need it. If you don't produce such a document, you will be fired. If you produce a forged document and your prospective employer decides it's unacceptable (because it's forged) and fires you, you may file a claim with the EEOC. However, the EEOC will require 'way more proof than a forged letter from a non-existent rabbi, and as soon as you're unable to provide said proof, your claim will be dropped. And you will still be fired.

Seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to just to get fired and keep your soul patch, doesn't it?

JohnDoeIsTaken

Or with my work experience they could decide that it's not worth pursuing without bringing religion into it and bypass their own company policy to make an exception. Regardless, I win and have won.

Also, I researched the Native American culture in my youth and it would be easy to use that. They cannot claim that I am not of the religion as I am free to practice whatever religion I choose. It's like arguing that a Christian who doesn't go to church isn't a Christian. I think not.

Actually, it's not a lot of trouble at all. Especially if it's a second job that I don't need and am only taking for some extra cash. Imagine this, your prospective employer required you to shave your head or do something that would drastically alter your appearance. Now imagine you had worked for this employer previously and that this was never an issue or ever mentioned. Do you understand now? In the grand scheme of things, it's insignificant. But some people do care about their personal appearance.

Some Random Guy

Also, I researched the Native American culture in my youth and it would be easy to use that. They cannot claim that I am not of the religion as I am free to practice whatever religion I choose.
And I read a book on Gandhi, so I guess I am a hindu. Seriously, are you that morally bankrupt? Its a McJob. Do you really need to debase yourself for this?

justalayman

PA state law does NOT in fact state that I am required to as the position they are putting me in only requires me to handle wrapped items. Either way, I'm going to say I'm Jewish and it's against my religion and offer to wear a beard net when working in a position that would require it by state law. Not much they can do then without risking a lawsuit.
Jews do not wear sole patches.

also, yes, they can do something without risking a lawsuit.

you will be hard pressed to make a claim of religious allowance with the facts you have presented.

Or with my work experience they could decide that it's not worth pursuing without bringing religion into it and bypass their own company policy to make an exception. Regardless, I win and have won.
or they could decide you are trying to screw them over and you become the designated person to clean the toilets, shovel the walks, pick up cigarette butts outside in the rain and a dozen other nasty jobs I can list. They can have you come into work, do the crappy jobs and then decide they don't need you any more that day.

and gee, there is nothing about being Jewish that gives you reason to refuse.

Yep, you've surely won.:rolleyes:

Also, if you're born to a Jewish mother, you are considered Jewish regardless of whatever faith you choose to follow
.you do not get the exemptions for the ethnicity. The exemptions are based on the Jewish religion. I guess you don't win after all.

JohnDoeIsTaken

or they could decide you are trying to screw them over and you become the designated person to clean the toilets, shovel the walks, pick up cigarette butts outside in the rain and a dozen other nasty jobs I can list. They can have you come into work, do the crappy jobs and then decide they don't need you any more that day.

and gee, there is nothing about being Jewish that gives you reason to refuse.

Yep, you've surely won.:rolleyes:
Which would be considered harassment and open them up to a suit. Secondly, they agreed to violate their policy with NO mention of religion. So yes, I have won. Thanks for playing.

Proserpina

Which would be considered harassment and open them up to a suit. Secondly, they agreed to violate their policy with NO mention of religion. So yes, I have won. Thanks for playing.

No. No, you haven't.

But thanks for trying.

Please collect your refund on your way out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">