• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I discriminated against because of my LACK of religion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justalayman

ok, roman catholics weren't roman. you win
well, I'm a Roman Catholic and I have no ties to any country south of Germany.

There is a difference between Roman Catholic and Roman.

and what does anything have to do with you being agnostic? If anything, she shot down your subject. That has nothing to do with your religion, or lack of one.

I believe they were called Roman because its where the brand of Christianity was started, not because they were actual Romans. I hope the above statement wasn't sarcasm.

My family is Roman Catholic, but are absolutely not Roman. lol.
it's both. it started there...and they're called roman catholics because they were mostly romans. who else do you think was converted in rome...but romans? =/

that's like me saying my family is called italian because we started out in italy, but we're not really italians...

Heh, I think I had your 5000 year old professor's older sister for a class last semester. I teach at a large University, but also take classes for my PhD. We were graded on three 30-page papers we had to write, and attendance. She would come into class every meeting and tell us what meds she was taking, what hurt, and then proceed to ramble incoherently for 3 hours. It was painful. And she made me revise each 30-page paper at least three times. And, she wanted it to be a psychology class, but it was an education class, so she taught psychology anyways.

Play the game.... that's all I can say.

30 pages? ugh, i do not look forward to all that.

you're right, i need to learn to kinda keep quiet more often. but it's just...i'm lookin at law school eventually and my fam isn't planning on paying for that. Every A that i don't earn is gonna be thousands that i DON'T have for tuition, as far as scholarships and all that. I accepted a B last semester, but I really think i got a bum deal in this class. we'll see what happens tuesday.

justalayman

that's like me saying my family is called italian because we started out in italy, but we're not really italians...
um, yes you would be. Italians are from Italy. Deutschlanders are from Deutschland. Spaniards are from Spain.

It's kind of funny how it works out that way.

Now, if your family was merely passing through Italy, say, on it's way from Egypt to Hungary, then no, that wouldn't make you Italian but if your family originated in Italy, you are Italian, at least to some extent.

Humusluvr

30 pages? ugh, i do not look forward to all that.

you're right, i need to learn to kinda keep quiet more often. but it's just...i'm lookin at law school eventually and my fam isn't planning on paying for that. Every A that i don't earn is gonna be thousands that i DON'T have for tuition, as far as scholarships and all that. I accepted a B last semester, but I really think i got a bum deal in this class. we'll see what happens tuesday.
I can completely respect that. And, you may end up proving your case, but don't be broken up if you don't pull off an A.

Just a personal note aside - one of my best friends is actually a lawyer that I met on this forum. She is an amazing person, but she will fight to the death over EVERYTHING. It makes her somewhat miserable. I have come to give her some leeway, however, because she's the smartest person I know - but fighting over everything (or debating, or arguing) is not the way you want to be. It will destroy you.

As for paying for it, are there GA (grad assistant) positions you can work towards? Ask someone in financial aide how to best plan for it. I am working at the University so I can get my classes for free - but it's amazingly hard to put in you 40 hours, then put in 6 hours a week in class, then 10-12 hours a week in homework.

Good luck to you!

well, I'm a Roman Catholic and I have no ties to any country south of Germany.

There is a difference between Roman Catholic and Roman.

and what does anything have to do with you being agnostic? If anything, she shot down your subject. That has nothing to do with your religion, or lack of one.
there wasn't much of a difference a couple thousand years ago. might as well say the crusades didn't happen because you don't know any catholics who have killed anyone in the name of god.

I can completely respect that. And, you may end up proving your case, but don't be broken up if you don't pull off an A.

Just a personal note aside - one of my best friends is actually a lawyer that I met on this forum. She is an amazing person, but she will fight to the death over EVERYTHING. It makes her somewhat miserable. I have come to give her some leeway, however, because she's the smartest person I know - but fighting over everything (or debating, or arguing) is not the way you want to be. It will destroy you.

As for paying for it, are there GA (grad assistant) positions you can work towards? Ask someone in financial aide how to best plan for it. I am working at the University so I can get my classes for free - but it's amazingly hard to put in you 40 hours, then put in 6 hours a week in class, then 10-12 hours a week in homework.

Good luck to you!
I'll figure it all out for sure. I have a couple of attorney family members who i know can help me get my foot in the door and all that. I haven't looked into everything the schools offer yet.

To be honest, I'm guessing like 15% chance of winning on tuesday. I mean one of the people on the committee was appointed by someone who already told me I have no case. It's kind of a biased committee.

but yeah, thanks much.

Last edited:

justalayman

there wasn't much of a difference a couple thousand years ago. might as well say the crusades didn't happen because you don't know any catholics who have killed anyone in the name of god.
wasn't much of any difference between what and what?

the first Crusade was 1096-1099 so what happened a couple thousand years ago is irrelevant.

the Roman Catholic Church was termed such due to the relationship of the church with the Bishop of Rome (aka; the pope). It was generally used to identify that particular branch of the Catholic Church from the Eastern Catholic Churches which included the Byzantine, Armenian, Coptic and Syrian Catholics.

The term Roman Catholic wasn't known to be used until the actual fall of the Roman Empire.

but I'm starting to see why your instructor didn't think it would be a good idea for you to do a paper on the Crusades.

Oh, and who said I don't know any Catholics that haven't killed somebody in the name of God?

and it is Church doctrine and Catholic tradition to accept that Jesus started the Catholic Church aka, Roman Catholic Church so in reality, the Church doesn't even have it's beginnings in Rome. You really might want to study the Catholic Church a bit before you start spouting off.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
For the life of me, I do not see why the refusal of your instructor to let you use your subject of first choice (which incidentally would be the absolutely easiest thing in the world to research for "discrimination" since it's all over the web and has been done a million times) is any kind of religious prejudice or how you could show it is.
And that is likely exactly why the instructor refused to accept the proposed subject. Such a broad-based research topic may be okay for HS, but in college they really do want you to start drilling down to a specific aspect. Something that requires a little more work.

Carrying on reading...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
it's both. it started there...and they're called roman catholics because they were mostly romans. who else do you think was converted in rome...but romans? =/
Oh.My.God. You have some serious learning to do, child.

Roman Catholics are called that because (a) THAT flavor of Christianity was based in Rome and (b) "catholic" is a transliteration of the Greek "katholikos" which means "universal". It is synonymous with "orthodox", when used in religious terms. If you know anything about Christianity, you will know that there were originally several Christian Churches, based on geographical location, each autonomous but also part of the group. While, AT THE TIME, Roman Catholics were, for the most part, Latin-based, Greek Orthodox were Greek-based, etc., the expansion of empires demolished those lines of demarcation. There are Roman Catholics who are neither Roman nor Italian (I know Chinese Roman Catholics); there are Greek Orthodox who are not Greek (I know a GO couple who are Egyptian); There are Russian Orthodox who are not Russian (I know several personally who are African American). It is no longer (and has not been for centuries) based on nationality.

Seriously - you need to expand your education rather than tilting at windmills. I understand that you are young, but you are woefully lacking when it comes to the arguments you make.

My oldest is a college freshman this year, and if he came home with this kind of drivel? I'd smack him upside the head and tell him to sit down, shut up, read and listen to his professors. Oh, and to call his father. Must remember to do that!

cyjeff

You do notice that she never told us if she was a freshman, right?

The first time you realize that college professors aren't going to coddle you is harsh. The first time you realize that you aren't the teacher's pet because you are the smartest in class is harsh.

The first time you realize that your professors really don't care if you come or not, turn in your homework or not or succeed or fail is a bit of a wake up call.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
and it is Church doctrine and Catholic tradition to accept that Jesus started the Catholic Church aka, Roman Catholic Church so in reality, the Church doesn't even have it's beginnings in Rome. You really might want to study the Catholic Church a bit before you start spouting off.
Which I would posit is wrong. Jesus Christ started Christianity. St. Peter started the Roman Catholic Church. The other Apostles spread The Word to other parts of the world, and founded the Orthodox Churches. Peter (and for a time, other Patriarchs of Rome, aka The Pope) was, however, known as First Among Equals.

Anyway... I could go on forever, and get further o/t. So I'll stop.

proud_parent

Which I would posit is wrong. Jesus Christ started Christianity. St. Peter started the Roman Catholic Church. The other Apostles spread The Word to other parts of the world, and founded the Orthodox Churches. Peter (and for a time, other Patriarchs of Rome, aka The Pope) was, however, known as First Among Equals.

Still OT, but... justalayman was correct when it comes to Roman Catholic doctrine. Roman Catholics do indeed believe that it was Jesus who founded what later was known as the 'Roman' Church, chosing Peter to be his successor. In support of this belief, modern Catholic apologists commonly cite Matthew 16:18 ("And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.")

I won't get into a debate about the relative merits of the doctrines of papal supremacy and apostolic succession, but I did want to throw that out there.

justalayman

Jesus was the Church. Peter's position as first pope was an assignment by Jesus to continue the Church.

God started christianity. Christianity was spoken of in the old testament. The Messiah, the Redeemer, the Savior are references to who became known as Jesus but his coming was spoken of long before he was born onto Earth and became the Christ.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Jesus was the Church. Peter's position as first pope was an assignment by Jesus to continue the Church.

Even us Protestants, who don't have a Pope, know that.

God started christianity. Christianity was spoken of in the old testament. The Messiah, the Redeemer, the Savior are references to who became known as Jesus but his coming was spoken of long before he was born onto Earth and became the Christ.

Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">