• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concerns about CPS and school!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Blue

Yeah, I'm a little concerned that a "licensed social worker" thinks that the school should have called and warned her they were involving family services. Like the average parent wouldn't be at the school in 5 minutes, interfering with the investigation all over the place - whether they knew that's what they were doing or not.

And, I do find the whole "masturbating until she bleeds/is painful" story a bit hard to swallow.
sigh...I do as well.

OP states that her child "can't" wash her own bottom...But can "wipe" herself with enough force to cause herself to bleed? Odd. If OP is indeed a LSW ...WHY IS SHE ANGRY? The SN did her job. The DCF worker did his/her job.

Perky

Yeah, I'm a little concerned that a "licensed social worker" thinks that the school should have called and warned her they were involving family services. Like the average parent wouldn't be at the school in 5 minutes, interfering with the investigation all over the place - whether they knew that's what they were doing or not.
I agree completely. A mandated reporter is NOT an investigator. As a social worker, you should know that abusers fabricate stories to cover up their abuse. It is certainly not the job of the school nurse to determine if the story has merit after a child says that her dad hurt her and there was blood in her underwear. I'm shocked that you would believe otherwise.

I'm not saying your husband abused the child, but the school nurse did what she is required to do.

in1christy

As a licensed Social Worker I have the legal and ethical obligation to assess the whole situation that includes talking with parents.

Because the school does not have social workers on the grounds the nurse acted correctly in some regards.

When I sent my child to school on Thursday I told her if she saw more blood on her underwear or it burned when she peed she could go talk to the school nurse and have the nurse call me. In hindsight I probably should have called the school nurse to tell her the situation, but I am sleep deprived with a nine week old in the house.

The key issue is my daughter went to the school nurse who I told her would help her and my daughter asked for the nurse to call me. The nurse did not and went ahead assuming it was abuse, wasting tax payer money precious time of the DFC when other kids are being abused to have my family investigated. She has broken my daughter's trust and my families. How do I send my child back in good faith knowing that the school nurse will not file a report with CPS due to a cut on the leg. I feel as if I now have to cover my butt with this school nurse.

The pediatrician even said that the nurse should have called me and asked me first if it was a UTI, the nurse does not have the ability to screen for it that I should have been notified that she was in the office for the reason stated above.

mistoffolees

I agree completely. A mandated reporter is NOT an investigator. As a social worker, you should know that abusers fabricate stories to cover up their abuse. It is certainly not the job of the school nurse to determine if the story has merit after a child says that her dad hurt her and there was blood in her underwear. I'm shocked that you would believe otherwise.

I'm not saying your husband abused the child, but the school nurse did what she is required to do.
Absolutely true. There shouldn't even need to be any discussion about that.

cyjeff

OP, I don't think you get it... and it is a little disturbing.

The entire reason mandatory reporting was created was to STOP judgment calls as to whether specific evidence rose to the level of abuse.

If you have EVER been shown or told of evidence of abuse and failed to report it, you violated your professional and ethical mandate.

I am more than a bit shocked and worried that you don't already know this.

cyjeff

As a licensed Social Worker I have the legal and ethical obligation to assess the whole situation that includes talking with parents.
NO NO NO NO NO

You have the legal and ethical obligation to report the abuse. You don't get to play the "I see the evidence but won't report it" game.

That is why it is called MANDATORY reporting. That means you don't get to decide what is and is not reported.

Because the school does not have social workers on the grounds the nurse acted correctly in some regards.
In EVERY regard.

When I sent my child to school on Thursday I told her if she saw more blood on her underwear or it burned when she peed she could go talk to the school nurse and have the nurse call me. In hindsight I probably should have called the school nurse to tell her the situation, but I am sleep deprived with a nine week old in the house.
Your lack of sleep is impairing your judgment.

The key issue is my daughter went to the school nurse who I told her would help her and my daughter asked for the nurse to call me. The nurse did not and went ahead assuming it was abuse, wasting tax payer money precious time of the DFC when other kids are being abused to have my family investigated.
Not the least because she was legally bound to do so.

She has broken my daughter's trust and my families. How do I send my child back in good faith knowing that the school nurse will not file a report with CPS due to a cut on the leg. I feel as if I now have to cover my butt with this school nurse.
And you are a LSW?

Then you know that this level of drama is what guilty parents use to cloud the issue.

Not saying there is guilt... saying that you are acting guilty.

The pediatrician even said that the nurse should have called me and asked me first if it was a UTI, the nurse does not have the ability to screen for it that I should have been notified that she was in the office for the reason stated above.
I guess we are not done with the whole "mandatory reporting" thing. Strange since the pediatrician is ALSO a mandatory reporter....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I am also shocked. Because I would absolutely expect the school nurse/teacher/admin to call CPS if my 5yo told them that she had had blood in her panties and her Daddy hurt her. Even if it wasn't the whole story. Because it could well be more if it were a different kid. I would rather my child have to deal with a few hours of confusion than another suffer from abuse.

Frankly, OP? I don't think you should be doing the job you're doing.

CJane

So wait. As a social worker, if a 5 year old child came to you and said "My privates hurt, and I had blood in my panties, and my daddy hurt me." That you would call the parents of the child, in order to get their version of events, before you involved child services?

Really?

You have a child presenting with a textbook story of sexual abuse, and you think it's a good idea to call the parents and see if it's true before you call anyone else? Because so many abusers would be all "Oh, yeah, I totally did that to her. Go ahead and call CPS."

As for how do you continue to trust the schools/nurse/whatever? I'd be sending them a freaking gift basket for going to such lengths to ensure the safety of my child.

Perky

@OP, regarding the pediatrician's and your belief that a mandated reporter should 'assess' the situation... I would love to have both your names so that I can notify your state licensing boards. I work in a school that DOES have a LSW on staff, as well as a psychologist. Neither of them would assume the responsibility of investigating suspected abuse before contacting authorities.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Mom. Please do not allow these attacks on your character to infulence your logical thinking. These people do not know you, nor do they care to, yet they viciously judge you, as if they have been given that right.
They are warriors for a cause, however their passion appears to be guided by hate and not the love of God.
No one attacked her. But she IS misguided in her approach.

commentator

While I am no longer in the field, the OP's whole post, in my experience, sets off bells and buzzers all over the place. I don't care if this woman is a licensed social worker, a licensed psychiatrist, a family court judge,whatever!

It sounds exactly like the convoluted 'not my fault' and 'fix it after the fact' and 'we are so blameless, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't understand and just let us give our excuses before carrying it further!'type of story that I used to hear used in cases of actual abuse. Where, for example, the child had been punished in some way by rubbing strong soap in the genital region, perhaps for what her parents thought was inappropriate exploration, or for refusing to do what daddy and mommie wanted her to do, horrid thoughts!

The whole scenario of daddy cleaning her genitals in the shower with the door open (he always leaves the door open!) so that mom could witness the whole event, the child insisting on sitting on the commode rubbing herself till she bled....Oh come on! This reeks! I hope CPS follows through in every way possible.

Perky

Really, I thought all schools had at least one of the above on staff - at least, school districts, if not individual schools.
I'm sure they all have access to one or both, but not always part of the staff. Some districts belong to a special ed cooperative, and the support staff is employed by the cooperative. The support staff are often assigned to 2 or 3 schools, so an individual school may not have anyone present on a daily, full-time basis.

cyjeff

While I am no longer in the field, the OP's whole post, in my experience, sets off bells and buzzers all over the place. I don't care if this woman is a licensed social worker, a licensed psychiatrist, a family court judge,whatever!

It sounds exactly like the convoluted 'not my fault' and 'fix it after the fact' and 'we are so blameless, I can't understand why anyone wouldn't understand and just let us give our excuses before carrying it further!'type of story that I used to hear used in cases of actual abuse. Where, for example, the child had been punished in some way by rubbing strong soap in the genital region, perhaps for what her parents thought was inappropriate exploration, or for refusing to do what daddy and mommie wanted her to do, horrid thoughts!

The whole scenario of daddy cleaning her genitals in the shower with the door open (he always leaves the door open!) so that mom could witness the whole event, the child insisting on sitting on the commode rubbing herself till she bled....Oh come on! This reeks! I hope CPS follows through in every way possible.
I have to say this crossed my mind as well.

To even BEGIN to jump on a mandated reporter for reporting suspected abuse sets off so many bells and sirens that I have tried very hard not to jump to conclusions.

As a father, I would be THANKING the nurse for getting involved.... if I were innocent. Yes, it would be embarrassing and I would have to go through a ton of trouble to clear it up... but what parent hasn't had some wacky thing happen and say, "that would be really difficult to explain to CPS"?

This has the earmarks of abuse. Thank goodness for the nurse... she may be saving this child's life.

in1christy

A good clinical assessment is very detailed.

The clinical indicators that were presented to the nurse were a child stating there was blood in her panties and burning upon urination. The possible causes:
UTI, masturbation, injury to vagina, undiagnosed medical problem, and sexual abuse.

As a clinical social worker you rule out medical problems first. I would refer to a doctor who at that point if found there was trauma would become the mandatory reporter.

School nurse cannot diagnose. She could not rule out UTI she should have referred out to a medical doctor. She went above and beyond her scope of practice to consider sexual abuse as the 1st alternative.

If she wants to have students and parents trust her, she needs to consider other things.

I totally understand mandated reporting. My clinical assessment skills teach me that I must assess before jumping to conclusions and that means that I refer out when something is beyond my scope of practice. I cannot diagnose a UTI, I would refer out.

I have been in touch with the State President of the NASW and she is in complete agreement, that the nurse went above and beyond her scope of practice in not referring out, when you 1st are to consider a medical problem. Pediatrician stated that same thing to me. She would consider medical problem before abuse.

If my daughter had gone to the school nurse and said "I have blood in my underwear, and it hurts to pee, and my daddy hurt me." Then I would have no qulams about the nurses actions. This is not what happened. My daughter went to the teacher and said "I had blood in my underwear yesterday. It hurts when I pee." She told the same thing to the nurse. The nurse checked her underwear. No blood on Friday.

No clinical indicators of abuse upon those two things.

Again if the 5 year old child has said "Daddy hurt me at beginning of assessment without questioning and ruling out medical conditions 1st I would not be angry with the school nurse.

I would also have been less angry if the nurse called or some school personel called and said we have concerns about your child and feel we need to report this to CPS. No such phone call, I get a phone call stating that CPS has my child.

Oh, by the way did based upon the research I have done each state receives money based upon the number of children in need of services, mandatory reports open a child in need of services case. Indiana is one of the highest right now in the number of children removed from homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">