• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Concerns about CPS and school!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

in1christy

I live in Indiana.

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for these questions?

Wednesday night my husband was helping my 5 yr old with her shower. He used the regular adult soap and got it on her private area. I could here all that went on because he keeps the bathroom door open when he bathes her and the room is right across from the nursery and the monitor was on. Sarah was screaming because the soap burned. She insisted on sitting on the potty with toliet paper and kept rubbing the area. I went upstairs and by that time my husband had run water into the tub in hopes of getting Sarah into the tub to rinse her. Sarah finally got into the tub and I rinsed her really well. She had stopped crying and felt better. I got her ready for bed and she seemed fine.

Thursday morning she had some blood in her underwear. The size of an eraser on a pencil maybe. She was kind of freaked out and I told her it was just from the rubbing she did when the soap hurt her. I said if she saw more blood or it hurt to pee to tell her teacher and tell the nurse and then to have them call me.

She came home Thursday evening and everything was fine. Friday about 3pm I received a phone call from the school stating that DFC had Sarah they gave me the contact phone number for the caseworker and told me to call and she would tell me the next step. The school would not tell me why Sarah was taken by the DFC, they were advised not to by the police.

When I finally met with the caseworker last night at 8pm. This is what I sort of learned. Sarah had told her teacher she had blood in her underwear. She did not have any in her underwear on Friday. She told the nurse that it hurt when she went potty. The nurse asked her if anyone hurt her and Sarah said yes. Well yes Daddy did hurt her with the soap but not in a sexual way. The school nurse did not call home to get the story, but called the police.

From talking with Sarah she asked the school nurse to call me. Just as I had told Sarah.

I still have so many questions floating through my mind. I am also angry. Not only has my daughter had the birth of her baby brother and starting kindergarten, now she was taken by DFC for 4 hours in less than 9 weeks. I feel for my daughter and am angry because I have lost all trust in the school.

I understand the duty to report, and respect it as a social worker and as a citizen. As a social worker I know the importance making sure my assessment is correct before making a report. The nurse clearly did not have all the information and never called home to find out if there was a medical condition going on first, she automatically assumed sexual abuse.

The biggest question is what was Sarah told in order to go with the caseworker. We have educated her that she is not to go with strangers or anyone unless we tell her it is okay.

Another concern is the nursed ability to assess situations. Sarah could have had a UTI or been masturbating and rubbed too hard. The nurse went straight to sexual abuse. I have lost faith in the school nurse and the faith in the school.

We met with the caseworker last night, Sarah was returned home. I will have Sarah be seen by her pediatrician on Monday. The caseworker said she will do a home visit and will need to educate myself and my husband on him giving my daughter baths. Thank God I have a husband who is willing to help with child rearing. Now the caseworker is telling us that he can't do this, does this mean I should not bathe my son. The caseworker also said that Sarah did not know what good touch bad touch is and that she would educate me on that.

Umm.. Let's see I have taught my child about good touch bad touch. Did the caseworker consider that she was afraid and did not understand what she was being asked. The child is five. I feel like I am being treated like an uneducated and uncaring parent.

I feel as if I need to talk with the principal and assistant principal regarding my lack of trust now and the poor assessment of the situation.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I am at a loss with where to go.

Banned_Princess

Did you say the 5 year old could have been masturbating and rubbed too hard?

Did you also say your 5 year old actually said " daddy hurt me, but not in a sexual way"??

c'mon.

in1christy

No my daughter does not have any medical conditions.

I have not seen my daughter masturbate. She might be. I do know that she did rub very hard with toliet paper to try to get rid of the burning sensation from the soap, which is what I feel lead to the bleeding.

When asked by the school nurse if anybody hurt her she stated: "Daddy hurt me." (Well yes, to a 5yr old her daddy hurt her when he used soap that burned her private area. A 5yr old is not old enough to say that though. )

I feel the school nurse did not consider UTI or masturbation as possible causes and went straight to the sexual abuse. The school nurse did not take the time to talk with me or her father to find out if there were any problems and went strait to the sexual abuse process.

Proserpina

Did you say the 5 year old could have been masturbating and rubbed too hard?

Why is that so outlandish?

Seriously - I don't understand why you said this.

Did you also say your 5 year old actually said " daddy hurt me, but not in a sexual way"??

c'mon.

I'm not sure that's what Mom is saying happened.

It could also be read as, "Did someone hurt you?" "Yes". Then Mom added her own commentary that yes, Daddy did hurt her with the soap etc.

With that said....I can absolutely understand why the nurse did what she did.

The school nurse is a mandated reporter. That means she HAS to report possible/suspected abuse. You say you understand this, so why are you upset? Your daughter had an injury that caused her to bleed in her underwear. That is a very visible physical manifestation of possible abuse. The nurse did the right thing reporting it. You want them to overlook possible abuse just because you say it's not? What if it was? They have to report, there has to be an investigation to protect the child. You are barking up the wrong tree. Follow the steps the caseworker sets out.

Just Blue

No my daughter does not have any medical conditions.

I have not seen my daughter masturbate. She might be. I do know that she did rub very hard with toliet paper to try to get rid of the burning sensation from the soap, which is what I feel lead to the bleeding.

When asked by the school nurse if anybody hurt her she stated: "Daddy hurt me." (Well yes, to a 5yr old her daddy hurt her when he used soap that burned her private area. A 5yr old is not old enough to say that though. )

I feel the school nurse did not consider UTI or masturbation as possible causes and went straight to the sexual abuse. The school nurse did not take the time to talk with me or her father to find out if there were any problems and went strait to the sexual abuse process.
The nurse is a Mandated Reporter and as such she did her job by reporting the situation. It is DCF's job to investigate the report.

Your daughter should be washing her own bottom with a mild body wash for children. Aveeno is very good.

in1christy

Why am I upset that the nurse reported. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker. I also have to follow the mandatory reporting laws. But based on my clinical and ethical assessment. There was no blood in my daughter's underwear Friday when she met with the nurse. She told the nurse it was there on Thursday. Nurse never saw it. Nurse took a 5yr old's statement "Daddy hurt me" and the pain as the reason to report even after my daughter asked her to call me. She did not call me to find out what happened. As a social worker, I would need more information before I could make a report. That includes talking to parents and letting them know that I am making the report.

It is not outlandish to think that a 5yr old might masturbate. My daughter's Ped. even asked this.

I feel as if I people do not believe me that they feel as if there was sexual abuse.

I feel my rights as a parent were not considered and that no one talked with me before the report was made. Even if it was true abuse I should have been informed by the school that there were concerns.

I am following what the caseworker says!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">