• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No day off for 1 month!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thestatesman

Virginia

My father in law works for a major corporation with locations all over North America. He is a full time employee in management. He was forced by his boss to work 1 month 12 hour days, 7 days a week with not one day off! He also has 3 weeks of paid leave built up which they are refusing to give him. Is this legal???? He is a salary employee, and there was no additional compensation for this.

Last edited:

justalayman

I'm pretty sure it is legal but I would need to investigate a bit to be positive. Very few states, if any, require any time off, period.

just so you understand; there are a lot of people that work that same schedule all the time. I myself had a job where I worked that for over 6 months.

as to the time off; they have the right to allow when a person takes time off and if they don't want to allow it, then it is what it is.

thestatesman

He is a salary employee who is supposed to be working a regular 8 to 10 hour day with weekends off. They claimed they are short and provided no additional days off for the month of work straight with no days off! If this does not follow company policy is it legal....ethical? Would the HR department be the best recourse?

justalayman

unless he has a contract stating he will not work more than XX hours a day or XX days a week, a company can require their employees to work any number of hours for any number of days (barring a few special exceptions such as truck drivers, train engineers, pilots, and a few others).

from the Virginia DOLI site:

Are there any restrictions as to how many hours an employee can be required to work or when he may work?
No, not after an employee attains his 16th birthday.
they could literally require him to work 24/7 for the remainder of his time with the company. Obviously that would be foolish but if the tell him to work the schedule he is, he can either work it, refuse to work it and accept the consequences, or just quit and find work elsewhere.

CJane

So are you (is he) upset because he was required to work that schedule, or because he didn't receive comp time/overtime pay?

pattytx

So are you (is he) upset because he was required to work that schedule, or because he didn't receive comp time/overtime pay?
Doesn't make any difference. As a salaried exempt employee, neither one is illegal.

The employer may deny vacation requests at their discretion. If they're really busy and short-handed, of course, they won't approve time off now.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The bottom line is, in 43 states including VA, this is legal. Company policy is not law.

CJane

Doesn't make any difference. As a salaried exempt employee, neither one is illegal.

The employer may deny vacation requests at their discretion. If they're really busy and short-handed, of course, they won't approve time off now.
Of course it makes a difference. The difference is, I'm curious which has the guy ticked off more.

racer72

I once worked 73 straight days without a day off, if it wasn't for Thanksgiving, it would have been more. It finally ended at Christmas, one day off in 94 days. Lots of OT, big pay checks and no time to spend the money. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">