• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Home Owner Keeps my Mail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

I am not going to scan the IL statutes, but I suspect that if there is nothing to specifically cover misappropriated or discarded mail, then misappropriating found property or theft charges might come in to play ... though either might be a stretch to make.

There may be no real code section you can point to as a foundation for any "threat" to the guy. You can always bluff and tell him that it could be a violation of federal and state law to toss out mail addressed to him, but it may not be something that you could actually fall back on.

The closest federal laws that might apply (and generally don't when they are delivered and received by the person responsible at the address) might be 18 USC, sections 1705 and 1708 ... you can toss them out, but I wouldn't expect the feds to act on a complaint.

Country Living

There is such an easy solution. Put in another change of address. Then pay very careful attention to any mail that is forwarded to you so you can change your address with that company/person.

justalayman

this is the law that would apply IF the op could prove intent as specified within the statute:

§ 1702. Obstruction of correspondence

Whoever takes any letter, postal card, or package out of any post office or any authorized depository for mail matter, or from any letter or mail carrier, or which has been in any post office or authorized depository, or in the custody of any letter or mail carrier, before it has been delivered to the person to whom it was directed, with design to obstruct the correspondence, or to pry into the business or secrets of another, or opens, secretes, embezzles, or destroys the same, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than five years, or both.
the problem is: he is removing the mail not with intent to obstruct delivery but simply to remove it from his mailbox which the postman has deposited it into. Tossing is after that does not constitute intent, which is actually impossible because he could not have known there was mail in the box with an unknown addressee.

The shame of all of this is; the OP has actions that she is expected to take to alleviate this problem. Her first step is to contact the USPS and speak with them. She will likely be directed to file a forwarding request (basically a change of address) again. They are only good for 1 year so the original one has long since expired.

Then she needs to contact any entity that might mail her important information that she wants delivered to her and correct her mailing address with them.

Bottom line: you cannot force the guy to perform duties without a contract or pay. Slavery was outlawed many years ago. He is not required to do anything specific with your mail because he is not bound by any contract to do so.

So, you can either do what you are supposed to do to correct the situation or plan on not getting mail errantly delivered to the former residence.

mamamia2

I don't know about you guys, but around here USPS is good only at something like 95% of forwarding mail, even when the "change of address" service is still in force.... This has been true for all 3 cases involving me, namely my mail, the previous owners' mail, and my business moving to a new location only couple months ago.... Not all 100% of mail has been adequately forwarded....

.....So SOME GOOD WILL AND COOPERATION are in place when people move......

...When we moved out the new owner and his friend-tenant have been updated with all the technical issues that helped them adjust easily to the new property, from telling them how to use the tricky garage door opener, to all paper work and manuals that belong to all the appliances in the house....

Also, it's not that difficult to imagine scenarios like an organization with whom I haven't had any contact for 3 years, or an old friend who I last heard from 7 years ago ---- suddenly, out of the blue sending me a letter...... One doesn't have to be condemned as being utterly irresponsible for failing to update the address with a friend with whom the the last contact was 7 years ago....

Since this specific forum is a LEGAL forum, I didn't think I need to tell the full detailed "story of my life".... I was asking a LEGAL question. I appreciate the responses which were focusing on the LEGALITY of my issue. The rest is fluff.

justalayman

=mamamia2;2696135]I don't know about you guys, but around here USPS is good only at something like 95% of forwarding mail, even when the "change of address" service is still in force.... This has been true for all 3 cases involving me, namely my mail, the previous owners' mail, and my business moving to a new location only couple months ago.... Not all 100% of mail has been adequately forwarded....
but that does not place a duty upon the new resident to give a damn about incorrectly delivered mail.

.....So SOME GOOD WILL AND COOPERATION are in place when people move......
you cannot force a person to show goodwill nor cooperate with what you want of them

...When we moved out the new owner and his friend-tenant have been updated with all the technical issues that helped them adjust easily to the new property, from telling them how to use the tricky garage door opener, to all paper work and manuals that belong to all the appliances in the house....
and that has nothing to do with the case at hand

Also, it's not that difficult to imagine scenarios like an organization with whom I haven't had any contact for 3 years, or an old friend who I last heard from 7 years ago ---- suddenly, out of the blue sending me a letter...... One doesn't have to be condemned as being utterly irresponsible for failing to update the address with a friend with whom the the last contact was 7 years ago....
yet still, it does not create a duty for the current resident to care nor act to benefit you.

Since this specific forum is a LEGAL forum, I didn't think I need to tell the full detailed "story of my life".... I was asking a LEGAL question. I appreciate the responses which were focusing on the LEGALITY of my issue. The rest is fluff
.you got the answer in the first response. The guy has no duty to do anything with your mail. You kept adding the fluff.

Banned_Princess

To be honest, if I bought a home, and I kept getting mail for them after 6 months, and ever again, I would just throw it out. you can yell and threaten all you want, but I would just shut my door in your face.

You need to take care of your own business, which means changing your address with anyone you want to get mail from. if you dont, and I get it, I toss it.

easy as that.

mamamia2

See, that's the difference between us, Princess. I still mark the new address of the previous owners on their 1st class mail when it rarely lands in our mailbox. Just couple months ago there was a letter from Spain addressed to them. I didn't think twice, or felt like a victim or a saint. Life doesn't have to be complicated.

The guy is getting MAYBE two 1st class letters of ours in a year. I've told him a situation like that might happen. He said "no problem" but he's so clumsy and lost (he's really a bit of a fool), he doesn't even pick up the phone when at home....

...So I will knock on his door, ask for my property tax bill, and tell him he may be violating federal and state laws. Maybe he will bite, maybe not. Stupid people are not always doing logical things.

justalayman

t (he's really a bit of a fool),
wow!. You call the guy a fool and you still want him to be your secretary.

.What a piece of work you are. You are too lazy to do what you need to do yet expect some "fool" to do your bidding and get upset when he doesn't.

Ya see princess, that's the difference between you and me. I don't expect people I consider fools to do what I demand and then whine when they don't.

CdwJava

Do what you want ... but hope that it is not done in such a way that gets you in trouble.

Understand that if you try to file this, I doubt the feds or the state will be concerned with it, so it's an idle threat.

Country Living

Jiminy Cricket! Tootle off to the Tax Office / Appraisal District and get a duplicate copy of your tax bill. Then go to the post office and put in a change of address. Or keep whining.

DuckyH

Mail forwarding

A US Postal Service mail forwarding request expires after ONE year. It can be renewed by mailing the request form in or on the internet at USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service)

Since you know that some mail is slipping thru you should file a new forwarding request for your name from the old address to your current address. Then call the tax assessor and tell them to wake up and change the address for your future property tax bills. Also contact anyone as soon as you receive any forwarded mail and notify them IN WRITING to change your address. Many businesses have a spot on the bills they mail out for changing the address.

Unfortunately the post office considers their responsibility ends with the delivery of the item to the address on the item, even if it's to the wrong name.

Tip: when requesting mail forwarding, check the box for all family's mail, not the box for individual only. This helps in that the post office will forward anything with the same last name. While the process is mostly automated, there is still some human involved and the error that goes with it.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

We sold our home couple years ago, and after the Post Office stopped forwarding our mail, the new owner is holding it, or trashing it, or who knows what he's doing with it.... Our NEW property tax bill was sent to the old address, as I just found out (looking on-line), and I need the statement for payment, but the new owner does not respond to my calls, I'm asking him to let me know when he gets mail on my name, I asked him to just leave it between the doors, so I don't have to bother him, but I get no response.... This has been going on for the past 2 years.... Is he doing anything illegal? Isn't it against Federal law to keep, or open, or trash mail that belongs to someone else? Can I threaten him?

Thanks.....
It's not the owner's job to take care of your mail years after the forwarding order expired. If it were me, I'd be marking it return to sender. Why on earth should I be burdened with responsibility for your lousy procrastination in giving people your proper address. Even if he tossed it in the trash, I doubt there's any civil or criminal liability. Contact the taxing authority for your payment information and to get them to put a proper address on file.

Country Living

ATip: when requesting mail forwarding, check the box for all family's mail, not the box for individual only. This helps in that the post office will forward anything with the same last name. While the process is mostly automated, there is still some human involved and the error that goes with it.
Bad idea. All mail will be forwarded, not just the ones who share your last name. I know it's a bad idea because a relative of ours forwarded "all" to our address and we also got the roommates mail. The current homeowners would be mightily pissed off if they didn't get mail that should have been rightfully delivered to their address.

The OP has been told what to do several times and continued to come back here complaining about the situation.

FlyingRon

Bad idea. All mail will be forwarded, not just the ones who share your last name. I know it's a bad idea because a relative of ours forwarded "all" to our address and we also got the roommates mail. The current homeowners would be mightily pissed off if they didn't get mail that should have been rightfully delivered to their address.

The OP has been told what to do several times and continued to come back here complaining about the situation.

The PO will not (at least they should not) accept any forwarding order at this point. They only forward for a year. He had a forwarding order but he stated it expired several years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">