• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I allow inspection of home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justalayman

Good legal theory.

Pity that's not how it works.
really? You mean the taxing authority can simply levy any amount of taxes on your property just because they think you remodeled the house or added a room that is not visible from the exterior?

wow, I think I need to speak with my county assessor. If he knew this, he could remedy any financial shortcoming of the entire county simply by raising everybody's property taxes just because he thinks the homes are worth more than they are assessed for.

LdiJ

Good legal theory.

Pity that's not how it works.
Our state is terrible about that. If someone closes a business but forgets to fill out a certain form, then the state will assess massive amounts of taxes well in excess of anything that the party should have paid, and you have to go through all kinds of heck to get it resolved.

Its not difficult if you know what you are doing and have been through it once, but its a mess if you don't.

You Are Guilty

It's not that they have a right to enter, it's just it may be in the OP's best interests to let them.
Your prior response was open to multiple interpretations but I cannot disagree with this point.

Although, I do have a number of colleagues who make a nice living contesting unwarranted tax assessments, so in the interests of keeping these poor lawyers/accountants with enough money to get the 18k gold plating on their yachts and not that crappy 14k stuff, I still would not recommend letting the assessors in just because they asked.

tranquility

Perhaps we'll get some more facts before spinning out more advice.

Why does the government think the OP must make an appointment and allow them to enter?

Is this the usual practice of government agencies where you live? Send out official looking notices saying you must call them so they can make an appointment to enter your house?

It is easy to say the cop, the clerk, or some other individual government worker did something which is unconstitutional. They don't usually put it in writing on official letterhead.

Isn't anyone interested in the why?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Why does the government think the OP must make an appointment and allow them to enter?

Is this the usual practice of government agencies where you live? Send out official looking notices saying you must call them so they can make an appointment to enter your house?

It is easy to say the cop, the clerk, or some other individual government worker did something which is unconstitutional. They don't usually put it in writing on official letterhead.

I know that in the property appraisal of my house it lists:

EXTERIOR VINYL SIDIN
INTERIOR PLYWOOD PANCELOTEX CEI
ROOF TYPE HIP-GABLE
FLOORS CARPET & UNVINYL TILE
ROOF MATERIAL ASP SHINGLE
PLUMBING AVERAGE NO
HEAT GRAVITY
ELECTRIC
EXTRAS FIREPLACE +

Not sure where the county got their information, but it's correct as far as it goes. :cool:

You Are Guilty

Not particularly :D But one semi-educated guess would be that the City knows it cannot compel compliance, but if people voluntarily permit entry (via appointments), City gets what they want without having to do that whole "obtain a warrant" thing.

As a completely irrelevant aside, my co-op gives the local assessor access and we still end up a ridiculous bill that is (successfully) contested every time. Playing nice isn't always going to guarantee the proper result.

Torellian

As promised, I now have photos of the letter I originally asked about. I used photobucket and am posting the links to the front of the letter, and the back which has a FAQ list that answers alot of questions, but only in the way they think is sufficient. What do you think now?

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/picvids860/SDC11612.jpg

http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt244/picvids860/SDC11613.jpg

Torellian

It seems the last section of the FAQ gives you your answer.
I know, but they don't say if it would cause them to hit me with the maximum taxes like others have said. I know I can't trust them to give me the "complete answer". That especially holds true when they say that they would "Use their judgement concerning the interior condition" if they're not able to view it. Since when are property taxes based on the interior condition of a home. It's always been about square footage, how many bed and bathrooms, etc.

Last edited:

tranquility

It's almost like they're trying to scare you.

There is some precedent for taxing authorities to...a...over estimate...when they don't get the cooperation they feel they deserve.

Your mileage may vary.

YAG seems to have a good tax fighting guy, maybe you can pay him to fight an overassessment in which you failed to provide the assessor with the facts he said he required.

justalayman

I know that in the property appraisal of my house it lists:

EXTERIOR VINYL SIDIN
INTERIOR PLYWOOD PANCELOTEX CEI
ROOF TYPE HIP-GABLE
FLOORS CARPET & UNVINYL TILE
ROOF MATERIAL ASP SHINGLE
PLUMBING AVERAGE NO
HEAT GRAVITY
ELECTRIC
EXTRAS FIREPLACE +

Not sure where the county got their information, but it's correct as far as it goes. :cool:
the exterior stuff is obvious. The interior stuff is available via building permits and the associated applications. When building a home, a plan must be submitted (in most places anyway) that gives a pretty good detail of the home. As well ,while it is being built, there are multiple inspectors involved that can demand access to the home during the build (if you refuse, you don't get a certificate of occupancy and do not get to move into the home).

Most work on a home requires a permit. The building department updates your records when you make such alterations.

justalayman

I know, but they don't say if it would cause them to hit me with the maximum taxes like others have said. I know I can't trust them to give me the "complete answer". That especially holds true when they say that they would "Use their judgement concerning the interior condition" if they're not able to view it. Since when are property taxes based on the interior condition of a home. It's always been about square footage, how many bed and bathrooms, etc.
No. It is about the value of the home. The square footage method is a kind of generic means to value a home but a home with granite counters, a Jacuzzi tub, a steam room, and an in home theater is going to be worth more than a home built with the most basic of materials and amenities when both are in the same location, age, and size.

Unless they are going to accuse you of doing work without a permit, they have all the information they should need to evaluate your home already.

If you want to contest a tax value, you can hire an independent appraiser (licensed of course) to appraise the house. Unless the gov wants to contest a licensed appraisers work, they have to accept the value they (the appraiser) placed on the house. That way the gov never has to be let in the home.

Torellian

No. It is about the value of the home. The square footage method is a kind of generic means to value a home but a home with granite counters, a Jacuzzi tub, a steam room, and an in home theater is going to be worth more than a home built with the most basic of materials and amenities when both are in the same location, age, and size.

Ok. Then let me ask you this: Would it help my taxes if I were to make a real mess of the place before the inspector came to my house? I could make rooms a mess, leave everything dirty and pretend I'm a real slob! Maybe even disconnect a few wires to make it look like things aren't in working order. Would any of this cause them to "devalue" my home and therefore my taxes? I mean, these are the exact opposite things you would do to make your home more valuable for a buyer. Naturally, I wouldn't cause any real damage. Just things that are mostly cosmetic and easily reversable.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
the exterior stuff is obvious. The interior stuff is available via building permits and the associated applications. When building a home, a plan must be submitted (in most places anyway) that gives a pretty good detail of the home. As well ,while it is being built, there are multiple inspectors involved that can demand access to the home during the build (if you refuse, you don't get a certificate of occupancy and do not get to move into the home).

Most work on a home requires a permit. The building department updates your records when you make such alterations.
Considering the house was built in 1935 and is located in rural Alabama, I doubt very much that there have been any inspections/permits pulled. I had to redo a bedroom this past winter, including pulling new wire and new breakers. No permits needed, no inspections. :cool:

justalayman

Ok. Then let me ask you this: Would it help my taxes if I were to make a real mess of the place before the inspector came to my house? I could make rooms a mess, leave everything dirty and pretend I'm a real slob! Maybe even disconnect a few wires to make it look like things aren't in working order. Would any of this cause them to "devalue" my home and therefore my taxes? I mean, these are the exact opposite things you would do to make your home more valuable for a buyer. Naturally, I wouldn't cause any real damage. Just things that are mostly cosmetic and easily reversable.
a messy house is not of less value. To altering some system such as the electrical system; I suspect the electrical inspector would be out shortly to red tag your service until you correct any non-code compliant issues.

Cosmetics, such as you are speaking of, do not increase or decrease the appraised value. It could affect the market value some but in reality, not much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">