• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son being messenger of adult discussions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaizen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am CP. NCP filed for custody and there is an investigation pending. It's been 9 weeks since meeting with FOC investigator, still waiting on her recommendation - feels a bit cruel.

Ex was told in first meeting with referee to not discuss adult issues with child, as he's been known to do (scheduling, custody/court matters). Since that time, he again called our son and asked him if he wanted to come over early, but "only if mom allows it". My attorney wrote his attorney a letter asking him to remind his client to not discuss matters that the adults should be handling with the minor, as the court frowns upon putting the child in the middle.

Thanksgiving is my holiday with son this year. Last night when he came home from weekend with dad, he asked if he could go to dad's instead this Thanksgiving (for two "or three overnights if you're feeling extremely generous"). He told me he'd discussed it with Dad, and "he and Dad would be very thankful if I'd allow it" as they'd both like it. Went on to tell me Dad wants him there, etc.

I resent that Dad has entertained this discussion with our son!

I have two schools of thought on this. One is to be the bigger person for my son's sake since he's got his hopes up and has wrongly been put in the middle of what should have been an adult scheduling discussion once again. The other thought process is that to allow him to go might have it look like it didn't matter to me (which is certainly not the case), that I was condoning Dad's approach.

At 200 bucks an hour for attorney calls, I was hoping to get feedback here instead of paying my attorney for his input in a specific call although I'd certainly share it with him in an upcoming conversation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

I am CP. NCP filed for custody and there is an investigation pending. It's been 9 weeks since meeting with FOC investigator, still waiting on her recommendation - feels a bit cruel.

Ex was told in first meeting with referee to not discuss adult issues with child, as he's been known to do (scheduling, custody/court matters). Since that time, he again called our son and asked him if he wanted to come over early, but "only if mom allows it". My attorney wrote his attorney a letter asking him to remind his client to not discuss matters that the adults should be handling with the minor, as the court frowns upon putting the child in the middle.

Thanksgiving is my holiday with son this year. Last night when he came home from weekend with dad, he asked if he could go to dad's instead this Thanksgiving (for two "or three overnights if you're feeling extremely generous"). He told me he'd discussed it with Dad, and "he and Dad would be very thankful if I'd allow it" as they'd both like it. Went on to tell me Dad wants him there, etc.

I resent that Dad has entertained this discussion with our son!

I have two schools of thought on this. One is to be the bigger person for my son's sake since he's got his hopes up and has wrongly been put in the middle of what should have been an adult scheduling discussion once again. The other thought process is that to allow him to go might have it look like it didn't matter to me (which is certainly not the case), that I was condoning Dad's approach.

At 200 bucks an hour for attorney calls, I was hoping to get feedback here instead of paying my attorney for his input in a specific call although I'd certainly share it with him in an upcoming conversation.
HOw old is your son?

kaizen

Yes, it shows (if I remember correctly - didn't go back to read) that there's been an ongoing attempt at alienation and disrespect for the rules that trickles down from dad.

Little wonder that I can be perceived as nasty when son is allowed to entertain these types of discussion with his father, particularly when his father was told not to do it. Thus...he brings the attitude home.

I'm just trying to do what is right by my son.

And FTR - diversion program is working out great with my son. He's changed in so many ways. I consider his probation officer to be a great male influence enforcing the rules/expectations I have tried to for years when I was told (among other things) to "f*#!# off" by his father in front of him. He'll be (God willing) off the program in two weeks with successful completion :)

kaizen

I'm blaming Dad because he told me he discussed it with our son and told him he'd love for him to come if I would allow it...to just ask me and let him know.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, it shows (if I remember correctly - didn't go back to read) that there's been an ongoing attempt at alienation and disrespect for the rules that trickles down from dad.

Little wonder that I can be perceived as nasty when son is allowed to entertain these types of discussion with his father, particularly when his father was told not to do it. Thus...he brings the attitude home.

I'm just trying to do what is right by my son.

And FTR - diversion program is working out great with my son. He's changed in so many ways. I consider his probation officer to be a great male influence enforcing the rules/expectations I have tried to for years when I was told (among other things) to "f*#!# off" by his father in front of him. He'll be (God willing) off the program in two weeks with successful completion :)
YOU FILED INCORRIGIBILITY AGAINST YOUR SON. Then you refused to follow the state recommendations. Your son then filed mental abuse against you with CPS. And yet this is all about dad. Somehow dad is to blame when you are the one who has been the custodial parent. You don't understand or comprehend that your son may hate the fact that you filed incorrigibility against him?

Seriously, you should have done the psych eval. You really don't get it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm blaming Dad because he told me he discussed it with our son and told him he'd love for him to come if I would allow it...to just ask me and let him know.
YOu need parenting classes. Plain and simple. Your posting history shows this. And i highly encourage EVERYONE here to read her entire posting history.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My son is fourteen years old.
It is very possible that YOUR son wishes the extra time with his father and has approached you on HIS own about spending it with his father. Why do you immediately jump to the assumption that his father is to blame?

After all this 14 year old is also the one who FILED A CPS COMPLAINT against you. You don't think he might want to be with his father?

kaizen

No..you don't get it. And I realize communication via computer is not the same as face to face and things get lost.

I fulfilled all the CPS recommendations, including the mental exam. Case has since been closed :)

My son claimed mental abuse as a way to deflect/mitigate his responsibility (something I just finished discussing with his probation officer who still has a concern about that). When I came out fine with CPS investigation, son and his Dad decided it'd be best for him just to "man up" and do the right thing - accept his consequences of the incorrigibility charge.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No..you don't get it. And I realize communication via computer is not the same as face to face and things get lost.

I fulfilled all the CPS recommendations, including the mental exam. Case has since been closed :)

My son claimed mental abuse as a way to deflect/mitigate his responsibility (something I just finished discussing with his probation officer who still has a concern about that). When I came out fine with CPS investigation, son and his Dad decided it'd be best for him just to "man up" and do the right thing - accept his consequences of the incorrigibility charge.
Your history is huge. Again, WHY do you immediately jump to this being DAD's FAULT and NOT YOUR SON wanting to be with dad who is asking you? Oh yeah, because dad is the enemy. Your history says a lot. Or do you forget?

For everyone out there:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?searchid=3579702

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I can totally see a 14yo approaching dad with this possibility, and Dad saying "It's fine with me it it's okay with Mom."And to *me*, that is not the same as Dad addressing adult issues with the kid. Perhaps talking to your son about why he might want to switch it up for the holiday is what you should focus on, instead of how to drag Dad to court.

When the kids become teens, it is a fine line between involving them and allowing them to have some sort of input on their lives - social and otherwise.

kaizen

Because according the FOC investigator and what I've read here, it's one parent's obligation to encourage a relationship with the other.

Based on that and pending custody matter...seems like Dad should have said "sorry son, but I'm sure you'll enjoy your time with mom this year!"

Or does that kind of advice only float when you're using it to bash someone on here :confused:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Because according the FOC investigator and what I've read here, it's one parent's obligation to encourage a relationship with the other.

Based on that and pending custody matter...seems like Dad should have said "sorry son, but I'm sure you'll enjoy your time with mom this year!"

Or does that kind of advice only float when you're using it to bash someone on here :confused:
Aaaah, I see. My mistake - I thought you wanted an impartial opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">