• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 year old student rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajkroy

Whenever any of my students gripe about a detention I give, I remind them that it isn't supposed to be convenient and that they shouldn't have committed whatever infraction that earned it if they couldn't stay.

Maybe losing your hours at work/losing your job will prevent you from skipping class again.

CarlyleII

what if your parents where to sign a newer form stating they retract their previous stance?
I wondered that too. I didn't ask the principal that one. My parents say they 'would rather' I go to Saturday school and they say they can help out with payments for the truck right now (because the truck HAS to keep moving) but that's not really fair for them if there was some other way to resolve it all. (and that still screws up work anyway)

The school is, obviously, covering their ass as opposed to spanking yours.
Man I told him I wouldn't sue him. Not likely to hurt me anyway with his girly swing. (I don't know who y'all are, but not being sexist, no offense)

In fact, I am by no means certain that it is legal for them to even offer that choice.
I'm sure anything's legal in Arkansaw

There are other things around school that change automatically when you're 18. Like, I don't need a parent/guardian to sign me out anymore if I'm leaving campus. If I want a parking space then they don't have to co-sign. So it seems like in many ways they acknowledge when someone is 18 and an adult - which is why I don't really understand how I've got no say on this.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then I will tell you one more time.

You have no say in this because the law does not give you the right to choose. If the school opts to give you the choice they may. The law is not going to force them to do so. It has nothing to do with your age and everything to do with the fact that it is not your right under the law to decide how an authority may discipline you.

If you cannot understand that, then I would venture to say that you cannot afford to miss any more school because your ability to reason logically is seriously deficient.

Isis1

okay. so parents don't want to. yeah, you are stuck. doesn't matter if you say you won't sue. it's not your agreement to sue against anyway. besides, as a grown adult, you touch me and i will file charges against you.

so, i have to ask, how did you present the issue to the principal? i mean, as an adult, you have to look at the bigger picture. would the principal take something else of greater value in exchange? such as 10-20 hours of volunteer time at a local women's shelter? an animal shelter? removing graffiti on school property with the janitor? think out of the box and present it.

keep in mind, the principal doesn't have to oblige you. and since you are an adult, i wouldn't touch you myself anyway.

CarlyleII

You have no say in this because the law does not give you the right to choose. If the school opts to give you the choice they may. The law is not going to force them to do so. It has nothing to do with your age and everything to do with the fact that it is not your right under the law to decide how an authority may discipline you.
But the power over the whole thing actually lies with the parents not the school. So it would seem logical that the power would then pass on to an 18 year old.

okay. so parents don't want to.
"would rather" is not the same as 'no'.

so, i have to ask, how did you present the issue to the principal? i mean, as an adult, you have to look at the bigger picture. would the principal take something else of greater value in exchange? such as 10-20 hours of volunteer time at a local women's shelter? an animal shelter? removing graffiti on school property with the janitor? think out of the box and present it.
Yeh...that's a better idea than getting a whippin. I just told him I really need to work Saturday (And yeh, I understand that I knew the consequence beforehand but to be honest I thought I still had a bit more space with the tardies and expected to be ok for the semester, apparently my number was wrong) and asked if I could do the same detention hours but after school for a few days. (which seemed like a reasonable exchange to me...)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That's where the problem is. You are assuming that because the school opted to give the parents a say in part of the matter, that means that the parents (and by extension you) are the ones with the final say over everything connected with the matter.

Your assumption is incorrect.

CarlyleII

He says he doesn't have enough hours in the day to negotiate discipline with every student. And especially not when tardies are so clearcut in student handbook. And he won't let me do afterschool detentions because he don't want to have to find out who's legitimate about who can't do a Saturday (yeh, ok, he doesn't want to start something). It sounds like it's basically got to be licks, Saturday or 3 days ISS...so kind of screwed (my boss says he needs me). He did say I could maybe do 1 day ISS before Saturday, maybe, still not the most useful (there's important stuff this week). Principal says my parents can change the preference but they both have to go in and see him seeing as they both signed the paper (which is kinda inconvenient). Until then that papers golden even though I'm 18. And after they cancel that one then either I can sign for agreeing to corporal punishment or we all can sign it. (I'm pretty sure it used to be easier to get whooped before lawsuits were invented).
So I dunno, I know they don't want me to have 3 days ISS. Too much. Principal thinks maybe I'm learning something about going to class. He thought it was kind of funny when he offered me 1 day ISS and I was like "....I gotta go to class"....yeh, maybe coulda had that smart idea earlier. Yeh, this is too much trouble.

That's where the problem is. You are assuming that because the school opted to give the parents a say in part of the matter, that means that the parents (and by extension you) are the ones with the final say over everything connected with the matter.
I'm not looking for the final say, just the option to start with.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He says he doesn't have enough hours in the day to negotiate discipline with every student. And especially not when tardies are so clearcut in student handbook. And he won't let me do afterschool detentions because he don't want to have to find out who's legitimate about who can't do a Saturday (yeh, ok, he doesn't want to start something). It sounds like it's basically got to be licks, Saturday or 3 days ISS...so kind of screwed (my boss says he needs me). He did say I could maybe do 1 day ISS before Saturday, maybe, still not the most useful (there's important stuff this week). Principal says my parents can change the preference but they both have to go in and see him seeing as they both signed the paper (which is kinda inconvenient). Until then that papers golden even though I'm 18. And after they cancel that one then either I can sign for agreeing to corporal punishment or we all can sign it. (I'm pretty sure it used to be easier to get whooped before lawsuits were invented).
So I dunno, I know they don't want me to have 3 days ISS. Too much. Principal thinks maybe I'm learning something about going to class. He thought it was kind of funny when he offered me 1 day ISS and I was like "....I gotta go to class"....yeh, maybe coulda had that smart idea earlier. Yeh, this is too much trouble.

I'm not looking for the final say, just the option to start with.
You cannot force the principal to whip you.

:rolleyes:

CarlyleII

Eh, I'm just tryin to be responsible for myself. Maybe I didn't really act like I was worried bout my classes a few times but I am, and this time of year with grading/finals it's not a good time to be sitting around in ISS. And I don't want to screw things up at work because then I'll need my parents help to pay for the truck and that's not fair for them, I can be responsible with that. Just tryin to see what I can do to right my wrongs.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is wronging you. You're the one who did wrong by skipping class. Now you are learning that actions have consequences, and that you can't always avoid them. It's too late to worry about whether it's fair to your parents - the time to do that was when you decided to skip class. And it should be noted that they have no obligation to help you out - they are doing that by choice.

Final time; no matter how many ways you try to spin the issue - you screwed up and there is absolutely no way on earth the law is going to force the school to give you the option of what consequences you get. The rest of life isn't going always give you that option and you may as well learn that now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">