• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dependant son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nelson4

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I and my wife have a twenty two year old college going son and he lives in our house and we claim him as a dependent child in our IRS tax returns. I have donated my online game system to my son sometime ago.

Do I have any legal right on the game system now?

Do I have any legal right to instruct my son on what he can play and what not on that game system?

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I and my wife have a twenty two year old college going son and he lives in our house and we claim him as a dependent child in our IRS tax returns. I have donated my online game system to my son sometime ago.

Do I have any legal right on the game system now?

Do I have any legal right to instruct my son on what he can play and what not on that game system?
what is an online game system?

If there is a formal record of ownership and you have transferred the ownership, it is his to do with as he pleases. If there is a formal record of ownership and you have not transferred the ownership, it is still yours to do with as you please.

If there is no formal record of ownership, the two of you need to stop acting like children and figure out how to settle this.

and no, no matter what, you do not have a legal right to instruct (and expect your instructions to be followed) on what he can play on the system...period. He is an adult and as such, he has the rights of an adult which include a "no thanks dad, not doing that" regarding the game.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
what is an online game system?

If there is a formal record of ownership and you have transferred the ownership, it is his to do with as he pleases. If there is a formal record of ownership and you have not transferred the ownership, it is still yours to do with as you please.

If there is no formal record of ownership, the two of you need to stop acting like children and figure out how to settle this.

and no, no matter what, you do not have a legal right to instruct (and expect your instructions to be followed) on what he can play on the system...period. He is an adult and as such, he has the rights of an adult which include a "no thanks dad, not doing that" regarding the game
If Junior is living in Dad's house, he needs to live by Dad's rules. If Junior does not wish to live by Dad's rules, then Junior (as an adult) is perfectly able to move out and find somewhere else to live.

justalayman

If Junior is living in Dad's house, he needs to live by Dad's rules. If Junior does not wish to live by Dad's rules, then Junior (as an adult) is perfectly able to move out and find somewhere else to live.
while dad can impose whatever rules he wishes, son is not legally obligated to abide by them (after all we are speaking of legal issues, not parenting issues). If dad should choose to cause son to discover he is moving, so be it but none the less, son is not obligated to comply with dad's demands concerning the game.

nelson4

Thanks to each one of you for your valuable feedback.

More details:

Online game system: it is similar to XBox but can be used as a mini-computer as well as used for playing games online(it can access online, i.e., internet)

We have no written contract on the donation of the game system to my son. Everything happened by word of mouth and we (I, my wife and son) are the witnesses for this donation. None of us (I, my wife, and my son ) are disputing (and will not dispute) about the donation that took place by word of mouth. I am sorry for not providing these details earlier.

Hope this new information is helpful to revise your answers. Please let me know.

LdiJ

Thanks to each one of you for your valuable feedback.

More details:

Online game system: it is similar to XBox but can be used as a mini-computer as well as used for playing games online(it can access online, i.e., internet)

We have no written contract on the donation of the game system to my son. Everything happened by word of mouth and we (I, my wife and son) are the witnesses for this donation. None of us (I, my wife, and my son ) are disputing (and will not dispute) about the donation that took place by word of mouth. I am sorry for not providing these details earlier.

Hope this new information is helpful to revise your answers. Please let me know.
Why are you calling it a "donation". Either you gifted it to him or you did not. Maybe if you explain WHY you are asking you might get better responses.

nelson4

I gave him the game system and said, "you are its new owner from now onwards and it is completely yours from now onwards".

LdiJ

I gave him the game system and said, "you are its new owner from now onwards and it is completely yours from now onwards".
Then its his and you have absolutely no right to it or to tell him what to play or not play on it. However, that isn't really the question I asked.

LdiJ

Thanks again.

Could you explain what is the difference between "donate" and "gift".
A donation is a contribution to charity. A gift is a present you give to a friend or family member. Again, you are not answering the question I asked you. WHY is this an issue? Why are you asking questions? What is the backstory?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A donation is a contribution to charity. A gift is a present you give to a friend or family member. Again, you are not answering the question I asked you. WHY is this an issue? Why are you asking questions? What is the backstory?
Every donation is a gift. Not every gift is a donation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For the OP:

You GAVE him the system. It's quite clear. If your son can't follow your rules, evict him. It's quite clear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">