• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mechanic Broke my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grumpymama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

The car that my daughter uses was in need of some work done. The ac wasn't working, it was due for an oil change, the spare tire needed replacing, and the tail pipe needed replacing. Turns out it was a 1200 fix. We paid it and my daughter drove about 2 miles before it left her stranded at an intersection. She called me to help and since I was still at the mechanic shop they knew there was something wrong right away. They send someone out there, and then another. After the police left (who was diverting traffic) they illegally towed my car back to the shop. The police had even told them not to do it that it was illegal.

A few days later they have no idea what is wrong with the car. It is now cutting off when it warms up (not overheating). They ask my permission to tow it to the dealer. The dealer informs me that it appears that the wiring that the shop did to "fix" the ac shorted out the computer and it needed replacing and the wiring would need to go back to factory.

That evening I spoke to the shop, who told me nothing of this, said the dealer didn't know what they were doing and they were going to pick it up, replace the computer and fix the problem. It's been a few weeks now. They informed me the other day that if after a few more days they can't fix it they would have to come up with some resolution.

My question is what is "resolution"? This is my daughter's only mode of transportation. I have a chronically ill child (younger) who is in and out of hospitals and is having surgery soon. My daughter needs her car and I don't have the money to purchase a new one! What can be done and what does resolution mean?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, you need to confirm where your car is.

It would appear that if the shop you trusted your car to screwed it up and can't make things right you'll have to take them to court. The dealership should certainly be able to properly diagnose and fix your car.

Did you give the shop permission to remove your vehicle from the custody of the dealership?

grumpymama

Well, you need to confirm where your car is.

It would appear that if the shop you trusted your car to screwed it up and can't make things right you'll have to take them to court. The dealership should certainly be able to properly diagnose and fix your car.

Did you give the shop permission to remove your vehicle from the custody of the dealership?
Well I never gave them permission to remove the car from the dealer, but they told me that they did. Said they had it back at their shop and was going to continue to work on it there.

When it comes to making it right, what is reasonable? It was a good car and my daughter's only car. I don't have the money to buy a new one or the time with the upcoming surgery on my youngest to go looking for one. What is a reasonable request to make it right? My mom told me that they "may" offer to refund a partial amount that I paid them, but to be honest, I would need all of that back plus more if they broke my car.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Your first priority is to find out where the car is. If the shop has it call the dealership and find out why they gave your car away to someone without your authorization.

The car needs to be fixed. Either the shop needs to fix it properly or they need to pay the dealership for the work, if they did in fact cause the additional problems with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your first priority is to find out where the car is. If the shop has it call the dealership and find out why they gave your car away to someone without your authorization.
The shop dropped it off at the dealership, the dealership would have no problem with the shop taking it back.

Dave1952

Your daughter or you, if you are the owner, should ask the shop for a loaner car. Also find out what their plan is and what sort of warranty they provide for their work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">