• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Could I get in trouble for this parody?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

traumkampfer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

So I'm wanting to make a video parodying that "Ice bucket challenge", but I'm not sure if I could get in trouble for this:

Could I get in legal trouble for suggesting "Russian Roulette challenge in support of suicide prevention charities"?
It would be a parody, but I dont know if I could get in legal trouble for doing a straight-faced parody video (Like "The Onion" would do) suggesting this.

Silverplum

So I'm wanting to make a video parodying that "Ice bucket challenge", but I'm not sure if I could get in trouble for this:

Could I get in legal trouble for suggesting "Russian Roulette challenge in support of suicide prevention charities"?
It would be a parody, but I dont know if I could get in legal trouble for doing a straight-faced parody video (Like "The Onion" would do) suggesting this.
Crass and stupid. And mean.

Run along, find a nice therapist.

quincy

I doubt if "The Onion" would consider a parody of this sort.

There are legal issues that can arise with any parody so if you are seriously considering a video of this sort, have it reviewed by an attorney in your area prior to publication. I can almost guarantee you will become a very unpopular videographer if you follow through with the idea. I would hope you are smarter than this.

edit to add: Stupid and bad taste do not equal parody.

traumkampfer

I doubt if "The Onion" would consider a parody of this sort.

There are legal issues that can arise with any parody so if you are seriously considering a video of this sort, have it reviewed by an attorney in your area prior to publication. I can almost guarantee you will become a very unpopular videographer if you follow through with the idea. I would hope you are smarter than this.

edit to add: Stupid and bad taste do not equal parody.
I dont mind being disliked for my humor, I just dont want to be charged with some sort of crime, so I was curious if this qualified as a crime despite being comedy.

Isis1

I dont mind being disliked for my humor, I just dont want to be charged with some sort of crime, so I was curious if this qualified as a crime despite being comedy.
there are parody laws in place to protect the filmmakers. and yes, i do think this is in bad taste as suicide is on the rise.

however, i do suggest talking to an attorney before proceeding. from what i understand, the Icebucket Challenge is not a copyrighted event.

traumkampfer

I'm not worried about copyright, I'm more worried if i could be charged with assisted suicide or something if someone were to take up the challenge and fail. :rolleyes:

quincy

A crime? Unless you are showing Russian Roulette and its ultimate outcome, probably not.

I suppose there will always be those people who will take the video seriously, though, or who will be intrigued by the idea of Russian Roulette as a result of your video. If they kill themselves, family members may seek you out.

In addition, it could be trademark infringement if you used the words "Ice Bucket Challenge" anywhere in your parody.

And, if you are planning on showing your video on YouTube, you could find it pulled for objectionable content.

Your idea really isn't all that funny, you know. Can't you come up with something better, something less offensive?

If you are looking for a "definitive" answer to your question, by the way, no one here can provide that. The video would need to be personally reviewed to give you even an idea of your legal risks. For the personal review, you need to find an attorney in your area. We do not do personal reviews on this site.

Last edited:

traumkampfer

Nah, offensive is the name of my game basically. But I guess you gave a pretty definite answer, since my main worry is if some idiot thought it was real and killed himself, I dont want to be charged for anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">