• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do? My ex only pays $160 a month for child support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sadsinglemom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I live in California, I am 31 years old single mom, my son is 8 years old now. My son's father was ever around since day 1. I've been raising my child for 8 years with my low income budget. I feel ashame and sad sometimes because I have to live on welfare to raise my son. It's really tough on our live. His dad paid child support $160 monthly, but I have proofs that he works under table, and purchased high end designers . But refused to help me anything else beside that child support. I am really sad, I can not afford lawyers for sure. What can I do? I read California child support laws where I can file child support on his new spouse. They posted expensive items they bought for each other and their newborn. Please help me. Im afraid as my son gets older, my income can not support him. It's expensive to live in California but I have nowhere to go. My ex didn't even visit his son. It's like he completely shut us out of his life. As I'm writing this question, I feel so sad for my son.:(:(

OHRoadwarrior

You can change jobs or get a second. His spouses income does not count. You can ask for a modification if his income has gone up.

Proserpina

I live in California, I am 31 years old single mom, my son is 8 years old now. My son's father was ever around since day 1. I've been raising my child for 8 years with my low income budget. I feel ashame and sad sometimes because I have to live on welfare to raise my son. It's really tough on our live. His dad paid child support $160 monthly, but I have proofs that he works under table, and purchased high end designers . But refused to help me anything else beside that child support. I am really sad, I can not afford lawyers for sure. What can I do? I read California child support laws where I can file child support on his new spouse. They posted expensive items they bought for each other and their newborn. Please help me. Im afraid as my son gets older, my income can not support him. It's expensive to live in California but I have nowhere to go. My ex didn't even visit his son. It's like he completely shut us out of his life. As I'm writing this question, I feel so sad for my son.:(:(
You may be able to request that his child support is figured using his wife's income as he's deliberately underemployed or it is an otherwise extraordinary set of circumstances. That is of course if he IS underemployed, and this will not mean that she will be responsible for paying her husband's debt.

Their purchases could be gifts from her, her family, you name it - having nice stuff doesn't prove that you're earning more than you say.

Sadsinglemom

You may be able to request that his child support is figured using his wife's income as he's deliberately underemployed or it is an otherwise extraordinary set of circumstances. That is of course if he IS underemployed, and this will not mean that she will be responsible for paying her husband's debt.

Their purchases could be gifts from her, her family, you name it - having nice stuff doesn't prove that you're earning more than you say.
Will it counts if I have proofs of his other incomes instead of the main job he claimed (which child support takes the money from)?

Sadsinglemom

When was the original order made? When did you discover the proof? What kind of proof?
For sure I know he owns a small retailer shop, his other incomes from eBay Amazon selling items, and selling items international. However, his main job he only claimed he works weekend so the child support agency couldn't make him pay more than $160, I was told he has all other incomes under his wife account :(

Proserpina

For sure I know he owns a small retailer shop, his other incomes from eBay Amazon selling items, and selling items international. However, his main job he only claimed he works weekend so the child support agency couldn't make him pay more than $160, I was told he has all other incomes under his wife account :(
How old is the current order?

Owning a shop doesn't mean he has an income from that shop.

Sadsinglemom

How old is the current order?

Owning a shop doesn't mean he has an income from that shop.

I file child support since 2011, so it's always $160 monthly, is that what you meant.
What advices should you suggest me, it's really sad to see how much he waste on materials and not his son. They just got a new SUV. I'm always curious why child support never questions about his income, how can he support his family with his weekend income job. A friend of mine told me, if they have joint account, it counts too isn't it? Beside that I don't know what else to do, it's hard to take second job since I have to help my son homeworks every night and I have a 10-7pm shift job, sigh

Eekamouse

You are not in your ex's life so he is not shutting you out so you are wrong to say "us". Your ex is paying his child support and if he doesn't visit his son, maybe that's because you think the visit should include you, too? Based on your comments, it sounds like you spend too much time stalking his social media page when it's really not your business what he and his wife buy.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

So, how much of that $160 is going to the state to repay the taxpayers? :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OP, you seem to think your ex is to blame for your living situation. How much responsibility for your situation do you take? You chose to have a baby with this man. You chose to live in California. You chose to not take a second job. You chose to take a job from 10-7 that won't support you and your son without welfare. You chose.. I could continue. You are the one in control of your own life. And you are also the one responsible for your life. Quit making excuses.

I live in California...(
Your situation as you presented it does not add up. If you are on welfare (TANF) then the child support should have been signed over to the state. How much the order is for really doesn't effect you, as you would only get a $50 pass through amount monthly. The rest of is his support should be going to the state for TANF reimbursement.

Sadsinglemom

You are not in your ex's life so he is not shutting you out so you are wrong to say "us". Your ex is paying his child support and if he doesn't visit his son, maybe that's because you think the visit should include you, too? Based on your comments, it sounds like you spend too much time stalking his social media page when it's really not your business what he and his wife buy.
Hi pardon my grammars, I didn't stalk his media page. We used to be members of some forum, I wasn't sure if he purposely posted it to upset me or he thought I quitted the website. So he posted stuffs about his brand names items he bought.

Sadsinglemom

Your situation as you presented it does not add up. If you are on welfare (TANF) then the child support should have been signed over to the state. How much the order is for really doesn't effect you, as you would only get a $50 pass through amount monthly. The rest of is his support should be going to the state for TANF reimbursement.
Hi thanks, I do receive that $50 monthly from child support, what's that money means? One thing I'm confused is I was on welfare since 2008 (because my son's dad took off after a month he was born) and I applied child support in 2011, he only pays child support since 2011, but not previous years.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi thanks, I do receive that $50 monthly from child support, what's that money means? One thing I'm confused is I was on welfare since 2008 (because my son's dad took off after a month he was born) and I applied child support in 2011, he only pays child support since 2011, but not previous years.
Do you get $160 or do you get $50 per month?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">