• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do? My ex only pays $160 a month for child support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sadsinglemom

OP, you seem to think your ex is to blame for your living situation. How much responsibility for your situation do you take? You chose to have a baby with this man. You chose to live in California. You chose to not take a second job. You chose to take a job from 10-7 that won't support you and your son without welfare. You chose.. I could continue. You are the one in control of your own life. And you are also the one responsible for your life. Quit making excuses.

i didnt finish college it's hard to find a good paid job, my current job is the best I found so far that can support both of us (thanks to the help of welfare also) I also tried to move out California once but it's hard just for 2 of us.
I tried 2 jobs but the salary wasn't as much at this job. its just sad to know the truth, how could he is irresponsible to his son. After reading everyone comments, I guess my last hope on child support failed, I was hoping to get more than $160 so I can cancel my welfare. Thank you ohiogal

single317dad

You need to take this information to child support enforcement and see if they pursue it. The state could certainly use the addition funding.

If you need more money on a regular basis, you should seek employment.

He paid $160 to child support but I received $50
You would only get the $50 no matter what the award is for, the State maybe should revisit the amount but it doesn't effect you. The CS is really to reimburse the state. If you are getting something like $350 in TANF now, plus the $50 pass through then what you could do is decline the TANF and seek a new CS award on your own. You may very well end up with less overall. The state's goal is to get the full amount, in which case they can get you off TANF.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You would only get the $50 no matter what the award is for, the State maybe should revisit the amount but it doesn't effect you. The CS is really to reimburse the state. If you are getting something like $350 in TANF now, plus the $50 pass through then what you could do is decline the TANF and seek a new CS award on your own. You may very well end up with less overall. The state's goal is to get the full amount, in which case they can get you off TANF.
Being pedantic here, Qui - Affect. Affect. The word you want is Affect. NOT Effect.

Sadsinglemom

Hi QGJ, so does that mean he pays $160 until our son turns 18 (if he has the same job and income), I was hoping he could pay more than that amount back to the state. I am very sure that his income is a lot than what he provided to the CS. Thank you for replying my messages :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi QGJ, so does that mean he pays $160 until our son turns 18 (if he has the same job and income), I was hoping he could pay more than that amount back to the state. I am very sure that his income is a lot than what he provided to the CS. Thank you for replying my messages :)
No, that means that if you DO get an increase, you'll STILL only see $50 per month

Sadsinglemom

No, that means that if you DO get an increase, you'll STILL only see $50 per month
You're right, I just went to talk to CS worker. They told me the same thing because I have TANF. I'm curious, what happened if I never file child support, and on welfare? Does that mean the father never have to pay his support.

Proserpina

You're right, I just went to talk to CS worker. They told me the same thing because I have TANF. I'm curious, what happened if I never file child support, and on welfare? Does that mean the father never have to pay his support.
As long as the tax payers are supporting your child, the State is going to leave you with $50.

Are you averse to getting a job?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">