• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Red light violation, more interesting then it sounds...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
isn't the officers ticket and testimony record of passage through the intersection?
There is no question that you passed through the intersection. If the camera didn't take a picture, then that means camera didn't make a record of it, not that you didn't pass through there.

ejon

What camera?

By the way, in the future please post these types of questions under traffic law, NOT criminal law.
sorry i don't know the brand of camera, all 4 cameras are seperate from the light itself. they look kind of like security cams..

ejon

No.

(That's what I said above.)
so the camera is only evidence for the state when it gives you a ticket but can't be evidence of no wrong doing when it doesn't give you one? sounds a little odd to me but i truly do appreciate it..

ejon

There is no question that you passed through the intersection. If the camera didn't take a picture, then that means camera didn't make a record of it, not that you didn't pass through there.
I do understand cali law and nj law can differ on its opinion of camera lights, i have reposted in traffic violations forum.

Zigner

so the camera is only evidence for the state when it gives you a ticket but can't be evidence of no wrong doing when it doesn't give you one? sounds a little odd to me but i truly do appreciate it..
I think that you're being deliberately obtuse. The camera didn't take a picture. The only thing that means is that the camera didn't take a picture, not that you didn't run the red.

ejon

I think that you're being deliberately obtuse. The camera didn't take a picture. The only thing that means is that the camera didn't take a picture, not that you didn't run the red.
i am not trying to be deliberately obtuse. if i subpeona all records and calibration of the camera and it was running properly at the time it should be a reasonable indication that the camera felt i was past the line when the light turned red. in nj (not sure about cali) the law is that if you pass that line your not considered running the light bc it would be unsafe to stop at that point. there is no law regarding running a yellow (nj of course) bc yellow does not mean stop.

Zigner

i am not trying to be deliberately obtuse. if i subpeona all records and calibration of the camera and it was running properly at the time it should be a reasonable indication that the camera felt i was past the line when the light turned red. in nj (not sure about cali) the law is that if you pass that line your not considered running the light bc it would be unsafe to stop at that point. there is no law regarding running a yellow (nj of course) bc yellow does not mean stop.
Good luck with that.

Zigner

again poisoning the well, an unnecessary act done by someone who does not like the fact that anyone likes or needs a second opinion..
You could try holding your breath or stomping your feet (or both, if you would like) - it won't change the answers.

ETA: For the record, you're demanding a fourth opinion, not a second one.

ejon

You could try holding your breath or stomping your feet (or both, if you would like) - it won't change the answers.

ETA: For the record, you're demanding a fourth opinion, not a second one.[/QUOTE

i am requesting a new opinion that is unbiased by other answers. i don't think saying i am posting in the wrong location (which was fair) and asking what camera (fair as well) is an opinion.. hearing other peoples answers changes answers from the next person that posts. I also find there are different types of lawyers based on state/plea or trial... sorry i know you would like to paint me as holding my breath and stomping my feet but i have asked lawyers from other states one who was from ny who seemed to think a properly working camera that didn't give me the ticket was a large factor. i am sorry not all lawyers agree with you until they read your comments hence poisoning the well..

Zigner

i am requesting a new opinion that is unbiased by other answers. i don't think saying i am posting in the wrong location (which was fair) and asking what camera (fair as well) is an opinion.. hearing other peoples answers changes answers from the next person that posts. I also find there are different types of lawyers based on state/plea or trial... sorry i know you would like to paint me as holding my breath and stomping my feet but i have asked lawyers from other states one who was from ny who seemed to think a properly working camera that didn't give me the ticket was a large factor. i am sorry not all lawyers agree with you until they read your comments hence poisoning the well..
You do understand that there are very few lawyers who post on this forum, right? I'm not an attorney, nor do I claim to be one, but I do have to tell you that if an attorney's opinion is somehow swayed by others' answers, then you need a different attorney. I can ALSO tell you that the attorneys here have absolutely NO issues with calling someone out when they are wrong.

ejon

You do understand that there are very few lawyers who post on this forum, right? I'm not an attorney, nor do I claim to be one, but I do have to tell you that if an attorney's opinion is somehow swayed by others' answers, then you need a different attorney. I can ALSO tell you that the attorneys here have absolutely NO issues with calling someone out when they are wrong.
i will wait for an attorney, my god even i have my BS in criminal justice. what is it you do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">