• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can i be stopped from leaving the country whilst paying alimoney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

britinohio

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

have a question, in process of talking with my wife about separation. we had sorted out most things, but she Is threatening to apply to the court to stop me travelling aboard whilst paying alimony. I am a UK citizen legally resident in the US with a green card. can she do that

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

have a question, in process of talking with my wife about separation. we had sorted out most things, but she Is threatening to apply to the court to stop me travelling aboard whilst paying alimony. I am a UK citizen legally resident in the US with a green card. can she do that
No, she cannot stop you from leaving the country or traveling to and from the US.

britinohio

Reason I ask is that I have to travel for business not very often but I do at least a couple of trips per year. She wants to stop me for the entire period whilst I will be paying alimony. We have no kids

LdiJ

Reason I ask is that I have to travel for business not very often but I do at least a couple of trips per year. She wants to stop me for the entire period whilst I will be paying alimony. We have no kids
No, a judge won't prevent you from traveling. There could be rare cases where a judge could do something if the judge thought that the party was a flight risk, but even then, it would be more likely that the party was required to post a bond rather than be prevented from traveling.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
No, a judge won't prevent you from traveling. There could be rare cases where a judge could do something if the judge thought that the party was a flight risk, but even then, it would be more likely that the party was required to post a bond rather than be prevented from traveling.
A flight risk for what?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Skipping out on the alimony.
Have you actually heard - and I'd like a verifiable example, not an anecdote -of anyone (not least a citizen of another country traveling on a passport from that country) being deemed a flight risk and made to pay a bond for unpaid alimony?

I'm not being snarky - I'm genuinely asking.

LdiJ

Have you actually heard - and I'd like a verifiable example, not an anecdote -of anyone (not least a citizen of another country traveling on a passport from that country) being deemed a flight risk and made to pay a bond for unpaid alimony?

I'm not being snarky - I'm genuinely asking.
Bali said something about someone once, but otherwise no, I don't run in the kind of circles where enough money could be involved to make that kind of case a possibility. However, it does sound logical enough that if the issue arose, AND the person was already having to be chased for alimony, that a judge might require them to post a bond. I think it would be pretty rare however.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Bali said something about someone once, but otherwise no, I don't run in the kind of circles where enough money could be involved to make that kind of case a possibility. However, it does sound logical enough that if the issue arose, AND the person was already having to be chased for alimony, that a judge might require them to post a bond. I think it would be pretty rare however.
Oh my God. You invoked Bali. If he turns up, I'm going to blame you!

;) :D :p

britinohio

Skipping out on the alimony.
Thanks for all the responses. makes me feel a bit better

some additional back ground, my future ex wife is concerned that I would leave the country to stop paying alimony. I am not rich by any means. my life is now hear and have mortgages car loans etc

Her logic is that I stopped paying for my older kids back in parent country after a couple of years when I came to the states. When we first got together we agreed that we were going to share expenses, however after 1 year she stopped working and never worked since. I couldn't afford two families as I was sole breadwinner and was supporting her family in the states.

Does this after the responses?

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
Thanks for all the responses. makes me feel a bit better

some additional back ground, my future ex wife is concerned that I would leave the country to stop paying alimony. I am not rich by any means. my life is now hear and have mortgages car loans etc

Her logic is that I stopped paying for my older kids back in parent country after a couple of years when I came to the states. When we first got together we agreed that we were going to share expenses, however after 1 year she stopped working and never worked since. I couldn't afford two families as I was sole breadwinner and was supporting her family in the states.

Does this after the responses?
Do you actually have an order to pay alimony?

Is it same to assume that she's not obligated to support you per the terms of the I-864 Affidavit of Support (or vice versa)?

britinohio

Do you actually have an order to pay alimony?

Is it same to assume that she's not obligated to support you per the terms of the I-864 Affidavit of Support (or vice versa)?
No not paying any alimony at this time. and Yes she is not obligated to support me per I-864. throughout all the time in the states I have been self supporting ( ie working full time ) and actually supporting her/
We are still in the discussion phase and we were talking about how much I would be giving her and for how long. We were trying to sort out things between ourselves before employing lawyers to save ourselves ( me) some money. it was after we agreed on a rough amount she mentioned she would apply to the courts to stop me from travelling out of the country as she didn't want to be left high and dry.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
No not paying any alimony at this time. and Yes she is not obligated to support me per I-864. throughout all the time in the states I have been self supporting ( ie working full time ) and actually supporting her/
We are still in the discussion phase and we were talking about how much I would be giving her and for how long. We were trying to sort out things between ourselves before employing lawyers to save ourselves ( me) some money. it was after we agreed on a rough amount she mentioned she would apply to the courts to stop me from travelling out of the country as she didn't want to be left high and dry.
Let's boil this down to brass tacks.

How much do you earn?
How much does she earn?
How long have you been married?

Please don't think that you paying alimony is a given - it's NOT. And there is no way she can stop you from leaving the country in the manner she describes ... it's NOT going to happen.

britinohio

Let's boil this down to brass tacks.

How much do you earn?
How much does she earn?
How long have you been married?

Please don't think that you paying alimony is a given - it's NOT. And there is no way she can stop you from leaving the country in the manner she describes ... it's NOT going to happen.
Thanks for the responses, make me breathe a little easier.
I currently earn low 6 figures.
All she has is her SS
married 12 yrs.
we have a 401K to which I have contributed into all the while whilst married

She truly believes that she will be able to get the courts to agree to stop me travelling.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why don't you just sit down for a consultation with a divorce attorney so that you can get the whole story?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">