• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wife left and is trying to extort money or else she will sue for half, report to IRS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rytisabrutis

You can't.

And thinking that way is toxic.

"She" is not a "thing", but a human. If you go into court with that attitude, especially without a lawyer as a buffer, expect to be squashed like a bug.

You have been married for over 3 years. The ship has sailed on showing/claiming that she married you fraudulently. She will keep her green card.

She can *try* to extort you. Feel free to report any of her illegal activities, and ignore anything that is merely harassing. If you believe she has stolen money from you, ask your *lawyer* pursue that as part of the divorce action.

You are naïve if you believe that you have nothing to fear from the IRS.

Are you hard working enough to head to a law library and give yourself the equivalent of 3 years of law school education + court experience in one week?
Thank you. I guess I can't then. I will move on, but I wish our system was better so we could. I only disagree with one thing in your other wise good post - about fearing IRS - if she would decide to report me, I would show all my bank statements, where money went and for what reasons - it's not like I was buying mansions, nice cars or taking lavish vacations.

rytisabrutis

Look, no one is going to be able to help you with any potential IRS problems unless they can review your books and tax returns. That simply cannot be done on an internet forum. You need to take your books and returns to a local tax consultant to get an idea of where you stand on those.

However, obviously something is wrong if you were able to send 80k overseas in 2 years while claiming that you have "no profits".
#1. As mentioned, the payments overseas were as a form of salary for my wife (same last name) who manipulated me, and proof that she extorted me proves she manipulated me.
#2. They were intended not for my personal gain as I do not live in Philippines, but as a charity to feed the poor, which is tax exempt - if "governments" can bomb people to help people, then I can plant trees to help people, and no IRS will ever do anything to me about that. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

LdiJ

Thank you. I guess I can't then. I will move on, but I wish our system was better so we could. I only disagree with one thing in your other wise good post - about fearing IRS - if she would decide to report me, I would show all my bank statements, where money went and for what reasons - it's not like I was buying mansions, nice cars or taking lavish vacations.
Your problem is HOW you spent your money. Your problem is that it does not appears that you paid any taxes on money that you did not spend for business purposes. You had to live, and you sent money to her family. Therefore you DID have taxable profits from your business.

Again, take your books and your tax returns to a tax professional for advice.

rytisabrutis

Your problem is HOW you spent your money. Your problem is that it does not appears that you paid any taxes on money that you did not spend for business purposes. You had to live, and you sent money to her family. Therefore you DID have taxable profits from your business.

Again, take your books and your tax returns to a tax professional for advice.
You are right by law. But I also have proof that I was being extorted for money and manipulated. which makes my case more believable that she was the one doing tax evasion (which she was). So what if I am a business owner, when a wife comes in from another country who marries you for green card and leaves you several months after receiving unconditional green card (she only received it in January of 2017, which is when her attitude changed) and claims to be a tax expert, and records show that the only gain from the relationship was property in Philippines, which was to be used for non profit feed the poor, then in the eyes of the law, and the almighty I am innocent until proven guilty. Wife on the other hand is going to jail and beyond.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would venture to suggest that you start using your brain and not any of the other assorted organs you possess.

HRZ

Unfortunately I'll bet you signed those wacky tax returns she prepared for you? OUCH !

THe threat to report you to law enforcement unless you pay her off is very likely extortion ..and that's a serious crime ...problem may be marital conversations are covered by marital privledge and I have no clue how that plays out . ( BTW a felony conviction might just get her deported? )

I get your point that she played you....but unless you get a bright bulldog of an attorney you simply will be floundering about and some may say you consented to her games . I doubt you drill your own teeth or perform your own surgery ....well in this case go get a paid pro to help you do whatever it is can be done

LdiJ

#1. As mentioned, the payments overseas were as a form of salary for my wife (same last name) who manipulated me, and proof that she extorted me proves she manipulated me.
#2. They were intended not for my personal gain as I do not live in Philippines, but as a charity to feed the poor, which is tax exempt - if "governments" can bomb people to help people, then I can plant trees to help people, and no IRS will ever do anything to me about that. :)
Dude, you are so far over your head in this thing that you really need help. You have no business trying to do anything yourself.

Zigner

Frankly, I can't believe that a business person would be this inept. It almost sounds as if the OP is trying out a story to see if he can weasel his way out of criminal charges.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You are right by law. But I also have proof that I was being extorted for money and manipulated. which makes my case more believable that she was the one doing tax evasion (which she was). So what if I am a business owner, when a wife comes in from another country who marries you for green card and leaves you several months after receiving unconditional green card (she only received it in January of 2017, which is when her attitude changed) and claims to be a tax expert, and records show that the only gain from the relationship was property in Philippines, which was to be used for non profit feed the poor, then in the eyes of the law, and the almighty I am innocent until proven guilty. Wife on the other hand is going to jail and beyond.
I'm going to add therapist to the list of professionals whose help you need. Since you're cheap, ask your spiritual leader for some guidance. If you lack a denominational affiliation, then pedal back on the "almighty" talk.

Wife will only go to jail if she is convicted of a crime. You haven't even reported her alleged crimes to the police.

You, however, might end up in jail if you continue to be hardheaded.

You say that you've not been extravagant... $80,000 is extravagant. It says to me you probably paid yourself at least as much... And paid the IRS no taxes on either. Even if you had filed/paid taxes, the "charitable" portion of your deductions could have been contested - it wasn't a recognized charity. Bread not bombs my foot!

Zigner

I can believe it.

Hardly a day goes by that I don't read the woes of inept business people on this and other sites.
The original ineptness, sure - but as the OP continues, it sounds more and more like he knows what he did was wrong (illegal) and he's just trying to figure out the best way to spin it when he gets that knock on the door (or that letter in the mail, as the case may be.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">