• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting divorced in CA...Questions about recovering parental gift (house)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I need to talk to my parents about their tax return, but they're neither US citizens nor residents of the US.

The gift was made for the whole house, not just a down payment, and the amount was a lot (house is in Socal).
Well then your parents were stupid.

PayrollHRGuy

When you purchased the house the TITLE was put in both of you names. If your parents wanted it to be solely your property in the case of a divorce they should have required you to have the TITLE put in only your name.

Even now a mere hour and a half ago you naturally said they gave US a gift.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Huh? Where is THAT coming from? In many cultures parents give houses to newly married children if they have the means to do so.
I know, but in today's environment, a large transfer of money as a "gift" without any reporting could cause some eyebrows to be raised.

recentlydivorcd

Huh? Where is THAT coming from? In many cultures parents give houses to newly married children if they have the means to do so.
This is indeed the case in the culture my parents and I come from. I am a legal resident of California but my parents are not and their tax implications are for their home country, not for United States.

HRZ

Well so far it's toss up as to just who was most unwise...you or your parents...And my view is that you get to lay claim as to being most unwise in financial matters ...you were in CA and presumably had access to CA matters about community and separate property and simple things like prenup agreements ...and are at least modestly well educated ....so far you hold slim to no odds about rewriting history ....you might have some odds to get STBX to not claim the house or its value in the division and deed it you ....if you think you are that clever..

t74

There is the law and then there is the right thing to do. Often these are different.

Sine OP and parents are from a different culture, they were likely ignorant at the time of the legalities, but that cannot change the law.

Maybe ex will do the honorable thing and disclaim his interest in the house.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is the law and then there is the right thing to do. Often these are different.

Sine OP and parents are from a different culture, they were likely ignorant at the time of the legalities, but that cannot change the law.

Maybe ex will do the honorable thing and disclaim his interest in his house.
Fixed it for ya'

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">