• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overseas divorce - Where to initiate proceedings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilly123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My husband and I are living in Qatar. He is from Georgia, USA and I am from the UK.
Please can anyone offer any advice regarding which country would be best for me to initiate divorce proceedings in.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

My husband and I are living in Qatar. He is from Georgia, USA and I am from the UK.
Please can anyone offer any advice regarding which country would be best for me to initiate divorce proceedings in.
Qatar. Georgia doesn't have jurisdiction.

LdiJ

You would not be able to initiate divorce proceedings in the USA because neither of you are currently residing there. I do not know whether the UK requires you to be resident there or not in order to file, and I have no idea if it would even be possible for you to file for divorce in Qatar.

I suspect that you are going to have to consult other sources for UK and Qatar law.

SMS3ACE

Hello, Qatar will be by far less expensive than the UK and USA. However, you guys must settle the Custody before proceeding to divorce otherwise you both will have international custody battle and religious conflicts. Qatar will favor custody of the child by allowing the toddler to stay full custody with the mother.

If you don't have any kids than you can proceed with the divorce. It would be best to speak with a lawyer in Qatar because not many attorneys in the USA would know much about the divorce or family law of Islamic Country, where I am from :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Hello, Qatar will be by far less expensive than the UK and USA. However, you guys must settle the Custody before proceeding to divorce otherwise you both will have international custody battle and religious conflicts. Qatar will favor custody of the child by allowing the toddler to stay full custody with the mother.

If you don't have any kids than you can proceed with the divorce. It would be best to speak with a lawyer in Qatar because not many attorneys in the USA would know much about the divorce or family law of Islamic Country, where I am from :)
And considering this is a US LAW site, yeah, no one here would know. if you are an attorney btw, you need to be vetted.

SMS3ACE

And considering this is a US LAW site, yeah, no one here would know. if you are an attorney btw, you need to be vetted.
I am a legal secretary, working with an attorney and contributing on this forum as a normal citizen, who have already gone through the vetted process. :)

Even though this is a US site, international users come here as well. You may be surprised if an International Lawyer or an International Law Student responded to your question.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a legal secretary, working with an attorney and contributing on this forum as a normal citizen, who have already gone through the vetted process. :)

Even though this is a US site, international users come here as well. You may be surprised if an International Lawyer or an International Law Student responded to your question.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to post.
You are NOT familiar with US law, as some of your posts have indicated. Please choose which posts you decide to reply to very carefully. Furthermore, this is a US law forum, not an international law forum.

SMS3ACE

You are NOT familiar with US law, as some of your posts have indicated. Please choose which posts you decide to reply to very carefully. Furthermore, this is a US law forum, not an international law forum.
This is a US Law Forum, however, the matter at hand is an international issue.

Zigner

This is a US Law Forum, however, the matter at hand is an international issue.
Please correct your profile to show that you are NOT in the United States.

I understand that this is an international issue, which is why the OP should be seeking guidance in a more appropriate forum.

SMS3ACE

Please correct your profile to show that you are NOT in the United States.

I understand that this is an international issue, which is why the OP should be seeking guidance in a more appropriate forum.
They have asked the question in the correct section which pertains to the state they have indicated, since they wants to know which country would be best for them to seek divorce in. Also, what is your background, Zinger?

PayrollHRGuy

They have asked the question in the correct section which pertains to the state they have indicated, since they wants to know which country would be best for them to seek divorce in. Also, what is your background, Zinger?
And the state that they listed really doesn't seem to apply from what they have told us. Two of the three countries directly or somewhat involved are outside the scope of this forum.

SMS3ACE

They have indicated that they are not in the US. This is an international law matter.
Although they are not in the US, one spouse is originally from the USA which, gives them the right to consider USA and UK both countries as an option. All three countries USA, UK and Qatar have pros and cons for divorce and custody. it depends on the personal situtation they have. And from my experience Qatar is far faster and cheaper to get divorce in. UK has its benefits as well.

Zigner

Although they are not in the US, one spouse is originally from the USA which, gives them the right to consider USA and UK both countries as an option. All three countries USA, UK and Qatar have pros and cons for divorce and custody. it depends on the personal situtation they have. And from my experience Qatar is far faster and cheaper to get divorce in. UK has its benefits as well.
Ok, why don't you explain how this couple would have ANY option to divorce in the US. Please explain how the jurisdictional requirements would be met, both personal and subject matter.

PayrollHRGuy

Georgia isn't an option at this time because one party must be a resident for 6 months before action. So strike that and it is a Non-US law question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">