• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Desperate for help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boots or Bows

trying to divorce my soon to be ex. Haven’t started the proceedings yet. Our year is up on the 19th of this month. Here is my question. We had problems In January of 2016 which resulted in my children being taken away and my mom and step dad retaining custody. I regained full temporary custody in October. It is only temporary bc they cannot find my soon to be ex and wanted to give him time to show up. Our next court date is March 6th. If he doesn’t show up or is incarcerated then he will be stripped of his parental rights and I will gain full custody. Now I have been seeing my bf for some time and am now pregnant. The problem is my step father stated that if I became pregnant he would take my children away from me. Can he do that? Please help me.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How old are the children?

Why would you start a second mess without cleaning up the first? Serious question.

Just Blue

trying to divorce my soon to be ex. Haven’t started the proceedings yet. Our year is up on the 19th of this month. Here is my question. We had problems In January of 2016 which resulted in my children being taken away and my mom and step dad retaining custody. I regained full temporary custody in October. It is only temporary bc they cannot find my soon to be ex and wanted to give him time to show up. Our next court date is March 6th. If he doesn’t show up or is incarcerated then he will be stripped of his parental rights and I will gain full custody. Now I have been seeing my bf for some time and am now pregnant. The problem is my step father stated that if I became pregnant he would take my children away from me. Can he do that? Please help me.
What state re you in?

Boots or Bows

I live in Virginia.

My children are 2 and 3. It wasn’t planned. My birth control failed. Due to a recall I did not know was out.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in Virginia.

My children are 2 and 3. It wasn’t planned. My birth control failed. Due to a recall I did not know was out.
If you are pregnant, your husband is the legal father of the child you are carrying. I highly doubt your husband will lose his parental rights to the other children. You are not showing however good judgment.

Boots or Bows

Clarify

Let me clarify. Haven’t seen my ex in a year. Paternity on my unborn child has been proven. And it’s my stepdad saying he will take my kids away. Not my ex.

LdiJ

Let me clarify. Haven’t seen my ex in a year. Paternity on my unborn child has been proven. And it’s my stepdad saying he will take my kids away. Not my ex.
Your stepdad does not have the authority to do that. He would have to involve social services again to try to have the children taken away from you, but unless you are doing something wrong or neglectful, he will not succeed.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Your stepdad does not have the authority to do that. He would have to involve social services again to try to have the children taken away from you, but unless you are doing something wrong or neglectful, he will not succeed.
We do not know the reason(s) why the children were taken away last January, and we don't know if there were any conditions placed on Mom when she regained custody in October.

LdiJ

We do not know the reason(s) why the children were taken away last January, and we don't know if there were any conditions placed on Mom when she regained custody in October.
True, but since she has only two children, its unlikely that one of the conditions was for her to NOT get pregnant. My point however, was that her stepdad has no authority for his threat other than the fact that he can call cps, which anyone can do. If she is not doing anything wrong, then she has nothing to worry about.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
True, but since she has only two children, its unlikely that one of the conditions was for her to NOT get pregnant. My point however, was that her stepdad has no authority for his threat other than the fact that he can call cps, which anyone can do. If she is not doing anything wrong, then she has nothing to worry about.
Her definition of "not doing anything wrong" differs from mine, and perhaps yours.

I would want to know why her stepdad thinks she is an unfit parent. She just thinks it's the adultery, but I suspect that's the tip of the iceberg.

LdiJ

Her definition of "not doing anything wrong" differs from mine, and perhaps yours.

I would want to know why her stepdad thinks she is an unfit parent. She just thinks it's the adultery, but I suspect that's the tip of the iceberg.
My definition is of "wrong" is something that is not legal under the law. I don't care why her stepdad thinks she is an unfit parent, because her stepdad's opinion is totally irrelevant. He has no authority in this matter unless child services gives him placement, and even then, child services calls the shots.
It is not illegal to get pregnant.

Boots or Bows

Peramiters

The peramiters to get my children back where already met which is why I have them back now. They only thing is the temporary custody thing which is only in place bc they cannot find my ex and want t g

Boots or Bows

Cont.

Basically they can’t find my ex.

Look I never said I never did anything wrong. I was in an abusive relationship and before I had the last little bit of money I needed saved up to get away from him and into my own place, my kids were taken for safety.

Boots or Bows

I never said I did nothing wrong. All I want to know is if my step father can do that. There was no adultery prior. Ex and I have been separated since October but living separately since January

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No court will determine paternity on an unborn child. And your ex will NOT lose parental rights to the children you share. So let's try some reality legally.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">