• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property flipper build hose too close but they know the code...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

To know of you have any options other than live with it, you have to have details. Unless you can obtain and interpret the applicable rules you need a lawyer.

Unless you know where your property line is with a reasonable degree of accuracy, you need a surveyor to establish that boundary line so you know of any of the construct is encroaching into any applicable setback.

eddieMa

If you neighbors no help, maybe they not so nice.

or maybe they 'nice' but want no trouble. no trouble, everyone want no trouble.

They have a permit. so option remaining is to make trouble.

Ask for allies or go it alone. go it alone it tough, extra so to make no trouble.

maybe it's no trouble to just live with deck.
I have not asking my neighbors but I think I will send them a litter to see how they feel about it.
I used to live in the city where there are like 2ft distance between my decking and my neighbor's deck. Compare to that is not that "close". lol

I think the point here I try to make is that an out of town flipper try to maximize their profit and don't pay a little respect to neighbors who current live there.
Like i said before if this is my neighbor I won't say a word. And if the house was that close when I buy my current house i won't say a words.

I feel is not fair for them just build it and the laws won't even give me a chance to say something...
that is why I am not seeking for any money I want my rights, I want my chance to say no that is not fair...

I am hopping someone could give me some ideas so I can fight for this.
But i would agree every single words you said and thank you!!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have not asking my neighbors but I think I will send them a litter to see how they feel about it.
I used to live in the city where there are like 2ft distance between my decking and my neighbor's deck. Compare to that is not that "close". lol

I think the point here I try to make is that an out of town flipper try to maximize their profit and don't pay a little respect to neighbors who current live there.
Like i said before if this is my neighbor I won't say a word. And if the house was that close when I buy my current house i won't say a words.

I feel is not fair for them just build it and the laws won't even give me a chance to say something...
that is why I am not seeking for any money I want my rights, I want my chance to say no that is not fair...

I am hopping someone could give me some ideas so I can fight for this.
But i would agree every single words you said and thank you!!
How is it fair that you get to dictate what an adjacent property owner gets to do on their own property so long as it complies with the law? :confused:

eddieMa

To know of you have any options other than live with it, you have to have details. Unless you can obtain and interpret the applicable rules you need a lawyer.

Unless you know where your property line is with a reasonable degree of accuracy, you need a surveyor to establish that boundary line so you know of any of the construct is encroaching into any applicable setback.
I have their all the permits copy and construction plan. I know my property line and I know theirs.
The difference could be less than a feet. But like I said before after talking to 3 different inspectors they have pointed me out even the house they build is different than the construction plan but
they are allow as there are exceptions. And no hearing required at the time when they pull the permit so suck it that is basically what I think I am now.
I am not looking to win but because they know the loopholes that I am seeking advice for me to have a fight. Even I know I won't win but I want to fight so I won't regret and I don't want just suck it...

FlyingRon

You keep harping the plans, but by and large that is NOT something you can act on. The question is whether the structures are in compliance with the zoning and other ordinances. If they screwed up a permit/construction but are otherwise in compliance with the zoning ordinaces,etc... then the matter is between them and the local authority. You're only going to get a say if they did something they're not allowed by right (and whatever variances were obtained) to do.

Zigner

I am not looking to win but because they know the loopholes that I am seeking advice for me to have a fight. Even I know I won't win but I want to fight so I won't regret and I don't want just suck it...
You know you have nothing to fight them over, yet you want us to tell you how to fight them. How does that make sense?

STEPHAN

I worked very hard to get the cheapest house on the corner so my kids can go a better school.
Seams that when buying the house you did not research what could happen if any of you neighboring houses were torn down and rebuilt. I have seen that often, but it is clearly your mistake. Yes, the builder wants to make money. That is his job. If he would not do that, he could not pay his employees. I am sure he does not drive around in a Ferrari and fly a private jet.

eddieMa

Seams that when buying the house you did not research what could happen if any of you neighboring houses were torn down and rebuilt. I have seen that often, but it is clearly your mistake. Yes, the builder wants to make money. That is his job. If he would not do that, he could not pay his employees. I am sure he does not drive around in a Ferrari and fly a private jet.
This happened 2 years after I lived here. Sorry I can't see something 2 year before hand.

PayrollHRGuy

It could have happened 2 minutes after you bought your home. The duty was on you to know what could and couldn't be built near you.

oucivileng

Get a surveyor! You might be able to find someone cheaper than you think. Plus, if you're looking for the surveyor to answer a specific question (i.e. how close is that structure to the property line?) that would likely be cheaper than a full property survey. They might be able to just provide a simple letter with some basic sketches showing where the property line is rather than a full property survey.

Also, some cities have professional surveyors on staff. I've worked with them before. If you keep bugging them about it, they might come out and take some measurements free of charge. Just emphasize that you suspect that the builder is violating code and the city (not you) needs to investigate.

eddieMa

Get a surveyor! You might be able to find someone cheaper than you think. Plus, if you're looking for the surveyor to answer a specific question (i.e. how close is that structure to the property line?) that would likely be cheaper than a full property survey. They might be able to just provide a simple letter with some basic sketches showing where the property line is rather than a full property survey.

Also, some cities have professional surveyors on staff. I've worked with them before. If you keep bugging them about it, they might come out and take some measurements free of charge. Just emphasize that you suspect that the builder is violating code and the city (not you) needs to investigate.
Thank you for the advice. I am getting a outside town one as when I called the one in town they told me they are the one did land surveyor for the flipper.
I talked to a lawyer as well... Basically I won't win. When I receive the letter I should ask the city to request hearing but too late. And the flipper took it before city require herring.

Sometime you feel angry because someone does things not in common sense...Is like when you drive on the street not every driver follow the common sense and you might get angry.
Couple ways to resolve it, walk away, suck it up, change your view or fight it but just to get a better feeling. lol

In this case I am done and I already started looking for a new house. My house is small anyway so good trigger.
But wife still angry so we set 10k aside for a lawyer and fight until that 10k run out. You know happy wife happy life. Do whatever make wife happy. lol

Suit the property not the flipper so they can't sell or rent the house until the case is over. We just get ready and start the fight when they ready to sell.
But we will keep apply extension of the court date and do it over and over again until either wife give up or run out of the 10k.
You never know that might be once the law suit started they might just take tat deck down. The cost for that wood deck not worth 2-3K they might
think too much work and take down. lol. Or they get angry fight until the end. lol Either way, I am not angry anymore rather I will try enjoy the ride.

eddieMa

It could have happened 2 minutes after you bought your home. The duty was on you to know what could and couldn't be built near you.
Hi Sir,

By any mean I do not wan to offend you in anyway but I would have to disagree.
I am an average home buyer. I do my home work when buy a house.
I talk to neighbor, set in the car for couple days to understand the neighbor and do my research such as school or criminal records in the area.
This is my 2nd house. I looked 140+ house before I bought my first house and 70+ before I bought my current one.
But I won't agree with you on is my duty to know if a neighbor house can be rebuilt as I don't know what kind data could give me such inside...
As I really don't know what kind data that could be research which lead me to know one of the neighbor's house will be rebuilt.

Any of your neighbor might one day moved and chose to sell and a flipper buys it then rebuild and you will say to yourself
this is my duty to know this house could be rebuild next to me?

I post message here for help but your replies is not helping rather you are saying is my fault as a person seeking for help.
Again sir, by any mean I do not want to offed you and I simply can not agree with your view.

Thanks,

Zigner

Hi Sir,

By any mean I do not wan to offend you in anyway but I would have to disagree.
I am an average home buyer. I do my home work when buy a house.
I talk to neighbor, set in the car for couple days to understand the neighbor and do my research such as school or criminal records in the area.
This is my 2nd house. I looked 140+ house before I bought my first house and 70+ before I bought my current one.
But I won't agree with you on is my duty to know if a neighbor house can be rebuilt as I don't know what kind data could give me such inside...
As I really don't know what kind data that could be research which lead me to know one of the neighbor's house will be rebuilt.

Any of your neighbor might one day moved and chose to sell and a flipper buys it then rebuild and you will say to yourself
this is my duty to know this house could be rebuild next to me?

I post message here for help but your replies is not helping rather you are saying is my fault as a person seeking for help.
Again sir, by any mean I do not want to offed you and I simply can not agree with your view.

Thanks,
Perhaps it would be better said that the default position is that any neighboring house could be rebuilt. That is what your default understanding should be. With that knowledge, you can then research if there are any restrictions on rebuilding that would make you more comfortable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">