• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Altering a prescription & identify theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

When you appear in court for the first time for your arraignment (when the charges against you are read), you will have the opportunity to ask for a public defender.

There should be a public defender there to assist you at the arraignment if you do not have your own attorney with you. This public defender is not your attorney to help with your case, however. The public defender will be there only to help you through the arraignment process.

For a public defender to help you with your case, you will be asked to fill out a financial declaration form to determine if you qualify financially. If you qualify, a public defender will be appointed.

If you are unrepresented at the arraignment, it is recommended that you plead "not guilty" to the charges. Another hearing will be scheduled.

Good luck.

Last edited:

magus a

So I am not going to prison on my court date? I did have to do a book and release at the county jail.

If unrepresented and I plead "not guilty", another hearing will be scheduled and then hopefully a public defender maybe appointed if I qualify financially?

quincy

Right. You can be appointed a public defender if you qualify financially.

You can go to jail if you admit you are guilty of the charges.

It is generally best to plead "not guilty" and use the time between arraignment and the next hearing to work on a defense to the charge, preferably with the help of an attorney (public defender or private attorney).

Good luck.

justalayman

I was asked by a friend to fill a prescription for them with a script they would supply to me. There was no monetary motive. There was an error on the script, no qty, and the pharmacy called the doctor. I am not a patient. I guess the doctor did not write the script is the reason for identity theft.
In your first post you said the prescription was written to you. No you say it wasn’t.

Hang on for the ride. It is obvious you were aware of this being wrong when you did it.
Not receiving money won’t get you out of this.

Has your friend also been arrested or have the cops stopped st who they believe the only criminal is?

magus a

Sorry for my wording. The prescription did have my name. What I meant was to fill the prescription and give it to my friend.

I did not give up my friend. The police know I was filling the prescription to give to a friend.

quincy

Sorry for my wording. The prescription did have my name. What I meant was to fill the prescription and give it to my friend.

I did not give up my friend. The police know I was filling the prescription to give to a friend.
Your posts are very confusing.

You will want to be totally honest with your attorney. He will have a harder time helping you if you aren't. What you say to your attorney is confidential.

Rely on your attorney for advice and direction.

Good luck.

HRZ

You seem to be a willing participant in a serious crime ...shut up , plead not guilty and get criminal defense counsel !

DO NOT attempt to barter a roll on the upstream "friend" ...leave that to your counsel , it may or may not have leverage to help you .

quincy

You seem to be a willing participant in a serious crime ...shut up , plead not guilty and get criminal defense counsel !

DO NOT attempt to barter a roll on the upstream "friend" ...leave that to your counsel , it may or may not have leverage to help you .
"Barter a roll on the upstream 'friend' ..."
What does that even mean?

I agree an attorney is necessary.

HRZ

Sometimes law enforcement is more interested in a bigger bust bigger fish than the lowest person on the chain of violators and will offer to go light on somebody if they testify against the bigger fish. I am suggesting OP not get into any such conversations with law enforcement ...leave that to OPs hired criminal defense attorney .

I seriously doubt the OP is as innocent as she would like us to believe . And her statement that this was not for economic gain is no help.

quincy

Sometimes law enforcement is more interested in a bigger bust bigger fish than the lowest person on the chain of violators and will offer to go light on somebody if they testify against the bigger fish. I am suggesting OP not get into any such conversations with law enforcement ...leave that to OPs hired criminal defense attorney .

I seriously doubt the OP is as innocent as she would like us to believe . And her statement that this was not for economic gain is no help.
That doesn't really explain what your previous phrase means but .... okay. :)

I agree with your bottom line. An attorney will be important.

PayrollHRGuy

If the OP did what they say they did (and I'm not sure she did) there are no bigger fish in this crime. In fact they didn't seem to charge her with what they should have which is intent to distribute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">