• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

401k hardship question for mortgage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

So I can take a hardship withdrawl for a downpayment on a mortgage and wanted to know how long after it's taken out do I have to use it in? There not asking for any documentation to take out the withdrawl and it is going to be used for a home. I was planning on taking it out and then putting it my savings for when needed. Also my bank has a program where for every dollar u put in a account over a 10 month period they put in 4 dollars to use on purchasing a home. If I took out the withdrawl and put the money in that account and then then essentially used that for a home purchase at the end of 10 months is that allowed? It's still being used for a home purchase.

FlyingRon

The IRS rules say it has to be an "immediate" need. Frankly, sticking it into a bank account for however long the bank expects to get the match isn't going to sound like an immediately need. You risk the IRS whacking you with the 10% penalty after the fact.

PayrollHRGuy

Also my bank has a program where for every dollar u put in a account over a 10 month period they put in 4 dollars to use on purchasing a home.
Also you need to read the fine print on that promotion. There has to be some limitations. Otherwise everyone would deposit $100,000 to pay cash for a $500K house.

The IRS rules say it has to be an "immediate" need. Frankly, sticking it into a bank account for however long the bank expects to get the match isn't going to sound like an immediately need. You risk the IRS whacking you with the 10% penalty after the fact.
What if I dont care about the 10 percent penalty in the long run

FlyingRon

That's between you and the plan then I would guess.
Note, if you don't pay the 10% when it is due, there are going to be interest and penalties.

That's between you and the plan then I would guess.
Note, if you don't pay the 10% when it is due, there are going to be interest and penalties.
Dont they take out the 10% off the top anyway for early withdrawl or is that another 10 percent that gets paid when taxes are due

PayrollHRGuy

Yeah I know the limits it's only up to 7500 which is fine
Is that a $7500 deposit or $7500 that they will chip in? If the latter you are only talking about a $1500 deposit. If you can't come up with that you likely don't need to be buying a house.

And whatever they chip in will be taxable.

Called home buyers club I pay into an account for 10 months at 187.50 so a total i pay in10 months is 1875 and they match 4 dollars per dollar I put in so they put in 7500 so at end of 10 months the account will have 9375 to put down for a home

PayrollHRGuy

Called home buyers club I pay into an account for 10 months at 187.50 so a total i pay in10 months is 1875 and they match 4 dollars per dollar I put in so they put in 7500 so at end of 10 months the account will have 9375 to put down for a home
That is a hell of a deal. Free money is great. That doesn't change the fact that if you can't come up with $187.50 per month you really don't need to be buying a house.

That is a hell of a deal. Free money is great. That doesn't change the fact that if you can't come up with $187.50 per month you really don't need to be buying a house.
I can ... it would strap for 10 months... fact is I dont see paying rent for a 2 bedroom place at 1050 when I can have a 4 bedroom home for around the same price and not have a slum lord

Whoops2u

Did you sign a contract? (Or, will you have to sign a contract?) If you do a search, many "home buyers club"s are not well regarded. Make sure you read your contract carefully and do a little research on the company offering the deal. Some of the clubs know their clients really want to get in a house and have no other way to do so and might squeeze in ways the client did not anticipate.

The club is not your buddy. They are not doing you a favor. Understand how they are making their money before you sign anything. (Related to a hardship withdrawal or not.)

PayrollHRGuy

I can ... it would strap for 10 months... fact is I dont see paying rent for a 2 bedroom place at 1050 when I can have a 4 bedroom home for around the same price and not have a slum lord
What are you going to do if a month or a year after you buy the house the AC or other major appliance craps out?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">