• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left for dead.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I was traveling from Fairbanks to Anchorage with a trailer to be with my family. My truck broke down and i was stuck 200 miles from Fairbanks and 164 miles from Anchorage at 30deg temp. I called everyone but no answer. Finally my father In law texted me his location and said he was on his way. Its 3 hrs away. 3 hrs later he texted and says it wasn't him his phone was hacked. End result I was left there for 12 hours before I got help. Is that legal to do in below freezing temos?

quincy

I was traveling from Fairbanks to Anchorage with a trailer to be with my family. My truck broke down and i was stuck 200 miles from Fairbanks and 164 miles from Anchorage at 30deg temp. I called everyone but no answer. Finally my father In law texted me his location and said he was on his way. Its 3 hrs away. 3 hrs later he texted and says it wasn't him his phone was hacked. End result I was left there for 12 hours before I got help. Is that legal to do in below freezing temos?
First, what you describe has nothing to do with defamation.

It is not legal to hack someone's phone. If you or your father-in-law ever discover who did the hacking, the hacker can be arrested and charged with a computer crime (cell phones with internet capability are considered computers).

Your father-in-law might want to report the hacking to the police. Chinese hackers have been active in your state this year.

Here is a link to the law the hacker violated: http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title11/Chapter46/Section740.htm

I am happy you survived your ordeal. It must have been frightening.

Last edited:
First, what you describe has nothing to do with defamation.

It is not legal to hack someone's phone. If you or your father-in-law ever discover who did the hacking, the hacker can be arrested and charged with a computer crime (cell phones with internet capability are considered computers).

Your father-in-law might want to report the hacking to the police. Chinese hackers have been active in your state this year.

Here is a link to the law the hacker violated: http://touchngo.com/lglcntr/akstats/Statutes/Title11/Chapter46/Section740.htm

I am happy you survived your ordeal. It must have been frightening.
What would you call it if you had to call it
something?

Something odd there.
You called everyone but nobody answered yett 3 hours later out of the blue your father in law sent you a text. So you did manage to contact someone.
Your father in law then said that his phone was hacked, which means someone hacked your father in laws phone and the hacker decided to send you a message saying he's on his way!!
But then after contacting your father in law for real how come you ended up being in the cold for 12 hours if your father in law was only 3 hours away?

quincy

Something odd there.
You called everyone but nobody answered yett 3 hours later out of the blue your father in law sent you a text. So you did manage to contact someone.
Your father in law then said that his phone was hacked, which means someone hacked your father in laws phone and the hacker decided to send you a message saying he's on his way!!
But then after contacting your father in law for real how come you ended up being in the cold for 12 hours if your father in law was only 3 hours away?
The implication all along seems to be that Mark does not accept the hacking story told to him by his father-in-law.

There is no Good Samaritan law in Alaska that requires an ordinary person to act to save another person.

I think a 911 call might have been smart rather than waiting 12 hours,

quincy

I think Mark wants it to be someone else's fault that he had a bad experience rather than acknowledging that he should have called 911, AAA or the state police.
I question the incident as described but Alaska has had problems with hackers from China disrupting telecommunications systems.

I haven't heard of a Chinese hacker sending a text of the sort received by Mark, however. It's a puzzle. :)

As a perhaps interesting, off-topic side note: Mark created his thread very shortly after posts by a new poster named PoisonIvy were reported in this section of the forum. One post by PoisonIvy was not at all nice.

Last edited:

LdiJ

I think Mark wants it to be someone else's fault that he had a bad experience rather than acknowledging that he should have called 911, AAA or the state police.
Does Alaska have 911, AAA or even state police coverage everywhere?

quincy

Does Alaska have 911, AAA or even state police coverage everywhere?
The 911 system in Alaska apparently needs updating and cell service is not available everywhere. Cell phone location tracking is a problem.

Something odd there.
I texted him at 6:15 at 7:00 he sent me his location and "I'm on my way" I texted to give my wife gas or to get me.... mo reply. So I waited and at 8:30 he said his phone was hacked and asked if I was there. I said yes. Thinking he was on his way I waited. 3 hrs. I figured he wasn't coming. I then had to call around to find someone who could send my wife some cash she could come get me. Cell phones are spotty on the road. My wife took 4 hrs to get there and get me. I did contact other people after he said on my way but decided help due to him being on his way.

LdiJ

The 911 system in Alaska apparently needs updating and cell service is not available everywhere. Cell phone location tracking is a problem.
I doubt that AAA is available in many of the rural areas either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">