• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never Ending Divorce Over Family Pet. Helllllpppp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have a legal question. I am very frustrated with my attorney, the courts, and the ridiculousness of my situation. Months I filed for divorce and my ex and I have agreed on everything except the family dog. Mediation would serve no purpose. The dog lives with me and my children and has since the separation. I pay all the vet bills, food, etc. They refuse to sign the divorce papers until the dog is turned over yet they showed no interest in the pet while we were together. Every time we go to court (which has been a lot), their side ask for a continuance and the case drags on and on and on and on. They will not agree to sharing custody of the pet or anything but my attorney wont speed this long (and keeps wanting more money) and the courts keep allowing this to go on. There is nothing to discover here. The dog lives with me and has! What can I do to end this?

quincy

I have a legal question. I am very frustrated with my attorney, the courts, and the ridiculousness of my situation. Months I filed for divorce and my ex and I have agreed on everything except the family dog. Mediation would serve no purpose. The dog lives with me and my children and has since the separation. I pay all the vet bills, food, etc. They refuse to sign the divorce papers until the dog is turned over yet they showed no interest in the pet while we were together. Every time we go to court (which has been a lot), their side ask for a continuance and the case drags on and on and on and on. They will not agree to sharing custody of the pet or anything but my attorney wont speed this long (and keeps wanting more money) and the courts keep allowing this to go on. There is nothing to discover here. The dog lives with me and has! What can I do to end this?
What is the name of your state?

Pet custody disputes in divorces are more common than you might think. Courts can order visitation.

Just Blue

What state? Who is "they" from the "their side"?

Well here is the issue. They have no relationship with the animal, never really have and even one time injured the animal. I do not feel the pet is in a safe situation. I am fine with the dog living with someone else etc but I can't live with myself putting the dog in jeopardy like that. My frustration is I just want a judge to make a ruling on it but instead they keep getting a continuance over and over again claiming they want to do discovery. There is no freaking discovery.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well here is the issue. They have no relationship with the animal, never really have and even one time injured the animal. I do not feel the pet is in a safe situation. I am fine with the dog living with someone else etc but I can't live with myself putting the dog in jeopardy like that. My frustration is I just want a judge to make a ruling on it but instead they keep getting a continuance over and over again claiming they want to do discovery. There is no freaking discovery.
You've got a choice. Hand over the animal and end the nonsense, or don't.

quincy

Unfortunately, although some states now consider companion animals as more than personal property and will consider "the best interests" of the pet when awarding custody of an animal, Tennessee is not one of those states.

In Tennessee, pets are treated as property, just like a television or a set of dishes. If you want to keep the dog, you may have to give up other property of "equal value" in exchange.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The OP could just offer money for the dog...but I suspect that other party wants the dog, not the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">