• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never Ending Divorce Over Family Pet. Helllllpppp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

The OP could just offer money for the dog...but I suspect that other party wants the dog, not the money.
The other party apparently doesn't like the dog. It sounds like they could be using the dog as a bargaining chip for more money or property, or just to hurt Fedup (and, perhaps unintentionally, the kids).

There will have to be a value of some sort placed on the dog.

It can work both ways. Fedup can agree to give up the dog in exchange for something known to Fedup as valued by the other party. Call the other party's bluff.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have a legal question. I am very frustrated with my attorney, the courts, and the ridiculousness of my situation. Months I filed for divorce and my ex and I have agreed on everything except the family dog. Mediation would serve no purpose. The dog lives with me and my children and has since the separation. I pay all the vet bills, food, etc. They refuse to sign the divorce papers until the dog is turned over yet they showed no interest in the pet while we were together. Every time we go to court (which has been a lot), their side ask for a continuance and the case drags on and on and on and on. They will not agree to sharing custody of the pet or anything but my attorney wont speed this long (and keeps wanting more money) and the courts keep allowing this to go on. There is nothing to discover here. The dog lives with me and has! What can I do to end this?
Does your STBX have children? Are your children the other party's children? How about you be clear and succinct.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The other party apparently doesn't like the dog. It sounds like they could be using the dog as a bargaining chip for more money or property, or just to hurt Fedup (and, perhaps unintentionally, the kids).
What we have here is a one-sided view from a bitter party. I don't put much stock in the OP's characterization of the other party's motives.

There will have to be a value of some sort placed on the dog.

It can work both ways. Fedup can agree to give up the dog in exchange for something known to Fedup as valued by the other party. Call the other party's bluff.
Agreed.

LdiJ

What we have here is a one-sided view from a bitter party. I don't put much stock in the OP's characterization of the other party's motives.

Agreed.
Yeah but why would the other party want to separate the dog from the children? I would be scared that the other party wanted the pet just to do harm to it to get back at the OP, or to turn around and either surrender the dog or have it put down.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Yeah but why would the other party want to separate the dog from the children? I would be scared that the other party wanted the pet just to do harm to it to get back at the OP, or to turn around and either surrender the dog or have it put down.
Or it could be that they're just lonely.

We only have OP's version.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
How many children does the other party have? Are any of the children MUTUAL? We don't have that information but you immediately jump to one side. *bias*

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OP - is the dog a pure-bred? If so, have you offered the other party "fair market value"? Like it or not, pets are frequently viewed as property.

The dog is not a pure bred. It is a family pet and yes the kids love the animal. My concern honestly is more the fact that they never showed any interest in the dog before and there was a time or two were they were abusive to the animal. I think the dog is at risk. I real do.

Zigner

The dog is not a pure bred. It is a family pet and yes the kids love the animal. My concern honestly is more the fact that they never showed any interest in the dog before and there was a time or two were they were abusive to the animal. I think the dog is at risk. I real do.
How much money have you offered in exchange for being allowed to keep the dog?

I am not going to reveal the amount online but as much as I could plus I have given up several things I could fight for in court as well. Everything is agreed up except for the animal. I just want a judge to make a ruling on it, that's all. Instead just one continuation after another. I am frustrated that a judge just won't have the hearing and this be over with.

Zigner

I am not going to reveal the amount online but as much as I could plus I have given up several things I could fight for in court as well. Everything is agreed up except for the animal. I just want a judge to make a ruling on it, that's all. Instead just one continuation after another. I am frustrated that a judge just won't have the hearing and this be over with.
Oh - gotcha. I'm sorry that the process is taking longer than you would like. Frankly, since you are represented, you should talk to your attorney about this matter.

I have numerous times and I keep getting charged for it. I don't get it everything and I mean literally everything else was agreed upon except for this pet. I just want a ruling. Instead taking a day off from work for court, get to court, it gets continued and then a month or two later same thing over and over again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">