• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never Ending Divorce Over Family Pet. Helllllpppp!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have numerous times and I keep getting charged for it. I don't get it everything and I mean literally everything else was agreed upon except for this pet. I just want a ruling. Instead taking a day off from work for court, get to court, it gets continued and then a month or two later same thing over and over again.
I understand that you are frustrated. There is really nothing that any of us can do to make this go faster. If you are not satisfied with your attorney, then you are free to seek other representation.

I understand that but there lies the problem too. That stalls it even more because a new attorney you have to pay a ton of legal fees all over again and I have offered paid a ton and then that stalls it even more because the attorney wants the facts to be brought up. I mean good grief. Why is it so hard after a significant amount of time for a judge to simply say who gets the dog?!

LdiJ

I understand that but there lies the problem too. That stalls it even more because a new attorney you have to pay a ton of legal fees all over again and I have offered paid a ton and then that stalls it even more because the attorney wants the facts to be brought up. I mean good grief. Why is it so hard after a significant amount of time for a judge to simply say who gets the dog?!
Its not hard for the judge to make the decision. The judge hasn't had the opportunity to do so because of the continuances. What you need your attorney to do is object to the next one they ask for.

Its not hard for the judge to make the decision. The judge hasn't had the opportunity to do so because of the continuances. What you need your attorney to do is object to the next one they ask for.
I agree! That is why I have gotten so frustrated. It keeps happening over and over again.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Because the judge would rather you two settle it than go to trial.

The judge would rather believe that you have not settled because both parties are just being difficult. This is not always true, as sometimes one party is just being unreasonable. If one party just will not budge, and it is over a "simple" matter, the only way out is for it to go to trial. Which is expensive.

There is a reason why we are asking if any of the children are mutual children. Yes, if they are willing to argue with you over a dog, but not mutual children, that is a different situation than if the kids are not mutual, but the dog jointly owned.

Because the judge would rather you two settle it than go to trial.

The judge would rather believe that you have not settled because both parties are just being difficult. This is not always true, as sometimes one party is just being unreasonable. If one party just will not budge, and it is over a "simple" matter, the only way out is for it to go to trial. Which is expensive.

There is a reason why we are asking if any of the children are mutual children. Yes, if they are willing to argue with you over a dog, but not mutual children, that is a different situation than if the kids are not mutual, but the dog jointly owned.
The children are not mutual. They are from my first marriage, this is my second marriage. I would love to settle this out of court but that has been tried and tried to no avail so I wanted to go to trial but now it keeps on getting continued over and over again. I know it is costly but that isn't my issue. I want a judge to make the ruling as simple as that and my day in court.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
The children are not mutual. They are from my first marriage, this is my second marriage. I would love to settle this out of court but that has been tried and tried to no avail so I wanted to go to trial but now it keeps on getting continued over and over again. I know it is costly but that isn't my issue. I want a judge to make the ruling as simple as that and my day in court.
The judge would rather this "minor" issue be settled amongst you.

I get that the kids love the mutt, but were this to go to trial, your STBX may paint you in the light of a vindictive person, intent on seeing STBX alone and bereft of all comfort. Do you have proof of their alleged abuse of the dog?

And people are unpredictable. Maybe the dog really means something to them - it could be that the differences that you are divorcing over include a difference in ways of showing love and affection.

The judge would rather this "minor" issue be settled amongst you.

I get that the kids love the mutt, but were this to go to trial, your STBX may paint you in the light of a vindictive person, intent on seeing STBX alone and bereft of all comfort. Do you have proof of their alleged abuse of the dog?

And people are unpredictable. Maybe the dog really means something to them - it could be that the differences that you are divorcing over include a difference in ways of showing love and affection.
Yes it all can be proven. All I am asking for is for there to be ruling made on it, that's all. Let both sides present their case but stop dragging it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">