• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA speeding ticket: Should I fight?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The cop isn't playing anything safe, nor does he have any incentive to. He wrote the actual measured speed. Even if the defense showed an error, the court will still find guilty if the speed in favor of the defendant is greater than the limit. Contrary to all the ill-motives you give the cops, they do cut people breaks. There is no reason to under charge this other than to give the guy an out on points. The various agencies involved get the same surcharges whether he had been charged for 28 over or 5 over (and most of those surcharges are state mandated things rather than going to the "department" the officer works for... some of it gets sent to EMS and some gets put in a vicitms of crime compensation fund... it's amazing all the details on a PA citation).
You contradicted yourself. You said they have no incentive to but then said they can cut breaks. What would be the incentive there. All this is all over the place.

FlyingRon

Because despite your claims of them being heartless and self serving, they feel that a lesser charge than you might be given is sufficient.

Because despite your claims of them being heartless and self serving, they feel that a lesser charge than you might be given is sufficient.
Now you're reaching. I never said they were heartless or claimed tickets benefited them. All I did was point out some flaws that a person could use if they did go to court. Food for thought. You on the other hand act like you were insulted that someone in a uniform could have made a mistake. The state makes enough money. Why not root for the good people who somehow got stuck in a bad situation.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You contradicted yourself. You said they have no incentive to but then said they can cut breaks. What would be the incentive there. All this is all over the place.
The *incentive* would be to get the speeder to pay a ticket without complaining, knowing that they got off lucky.

FlyingRon

What incentive would the cop have to have the guy pay the ticket without contesting?
They get paid to go to court. It's no skin off their nose when people do that.
I've had cops speak up in my favor in court proceedings.

PayrollHRGuy

Also, it's not cheerleading. Its helping the other side. Anyone can say you broke the law and serve your time but the people who look at the details and give people a little hope that's where it counts. All situations are cut a dry. Put one of your loved ones in their shoes; you'll cling onto every detail.
I don't think I've ever posted an answer on this forum that I wouldn't have given virtually the same answer to a loved one or personal friend in the same situation, other than to clean up my language some so I don't get banned here.

“Harsh reality is always better than false hope.”
― Downton Abbey

PayrollHRGuy

Which was already stated. You literally wrote what I did previous. I'm not sure if you're thinking you're here to save the day with your knowledge but cant say it was helpful. If this cop is measuring a speeding a car from his rear view mirror while speeding himself dont you think there's something suspicious with that? Probably not since hes a cop and after all, his training makes him supernaturally powerful. I hate to tell you but people on tv are not actually that size.
Just for fun driving home last night, I watched a few cars in my rearview mirrors (All three multiple time ad speed ranging from 25 to 70.) It was very simple to tell when I had matched their speed and equally simple to both hold that match and drive safely.

And you are right people on TV are not actually that size (in most cases, I have big TV) but I can damn sure tell when one is getting closer to the camera or moving away from it even when the picture is being distorted by a change in the focal length of the lens.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What incentive would the cop have to have the guy pay the ticket without contesting?
They get paid to go to court. It's no skin off their nose when people do that.
I've had cops speak up in my favor in court proceedings.
That's because you're a nice person. :giggle:

Hey, I'm not the one asking why a cop would give someone a break. That's Chatomairi.

Chatomairi is perhaps not so charming in person as you or me, so were I the one giving out tickets, I prefer Chato just pay it and go away, rather than deal with chatter in the court room. I would hope that by giving Chato a break, Chato would not look a gift horse in the mouth, just pay up and shut up, and try to avoid speeding in my presence in the future. And if I had to go to court and Chato tried to contest the ticket, well, I'd not speak up in his favor, that's for sure.

FlyingRon

Again, we're in a rat hole. There's no need to "match speed." The ticket wasn't written based on pacing, it was done based on measured speed. All the officer needs to do is say he saw the car pass each landmark and clicked his stopwatch. It can be done in a rearview mirror. The "size" of the image is irrelevant.

Hey, I'm not the one asking why a cop would give someone a break. That's Chatomairi.

Chatomairi is perhaps not so charming in person as you or me, so were I the one giving out tickets, I prefer Chato just pay it and go away, rather than deal with chatter in the court room. I would hope that by giving Chato a break, Chato would not look a gift horse in the mouth, just pay up and shut up, and try to avoid speeding in my presence in the future. And if I had to go to court and Chato tried to contest the ticket, well, I'd not speak up in his favor, that's for sure.
This is why it's hard to take you serious. Show me where I asked why would a cop give someone a break.

Also, I clearly gave a few different opinions on each option this person suggested. You can pinch to zoom if you cant keep up.

Last edited:
This is why it's hard to take you serious. Show me where I asked why would a cop give someone a break.
It was about 3am and I was sat in my patrol car writing reports. From where I was i could clearly see a stop sign. A car comes to the sign and slows very slightly then drives through the stop sign. I pull him over and ask "Did you not see the stop sign?", "Yes" he said "It was you I didn't see".
I cut him a break and gave him a warning ticket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">