• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KS Gun Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have another question. The repo man did have a gun pulled. If the homeowner did not realize that the gun was only pointed at the dog and was actually in fear for his own life, wouldn't that make a difference? I also think that a repo man is crazy to carry a gun. That just escalates an already tense situation.
Picture the scene - a guy telling the folks on the porch that he was there to repossess the car (I'm sure he did) is suddenly attacked by a dog (bitten, even). He then pulls out a gun and prepares to shoot the dog, which he fears is going to continue the attack. Simultaneously, he is shouting "get your dog off me or I'll kill it".

That's how I picture this going down.

Smittyks

Picture the scene - a guy telling the folks on the porch that he was there to repossess the car (I'm sure he did) is suddenly attacked by a dog (bitten, even). He then pulls out a gun and prepares to shoot the dog, which he fears is going to continue the attack. Simultaneously, he is shouting "get your dog off me or I'll kill it".

That's how I picture this going down.
It didn't.. the repo people said nothing to my neighbor as the neighbor shouted tresspassing the neighbor went to remove the cars contents the repoman went toward the homeowner the dog protected the owner to what itnpercieved as a threat then the repoman brandished a firearm and so did the neighbor

quincy

It didn't.. the repo people said nothing to my neighbor as the neighbor shouted tresspassing the neighbor went to remove the cars contents the repoman went toward the homeowner the dog protected the owner to what itnpercieved as a threat then the repoman brandished a firearm and so did the neighbor
That must have been unpleasant to watch. Were you the one who called the police?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In other words - the neighbor tried to interfere with the lawful activity of the repo man (think about it - if the neighbor REALLY thought this was a "trespasser" as opposed to a repo man, then he wouldn't have been going to remove the contents of the car.)

Smittyks

That must have been unpleasant to watch. Were you the one who called the police?
No I didn't the repo man had a woman with him who was on the phone with police already as my neighbor walked out the moment my neighbor said tresspassing she said I'm on the phone with the police right now

Smittyks

In other words - the neighbor tried to interfere with the lawful activity of the repo man (think about it - if the neighbor REALLY thought this was a "trespasser" as opposed to a repo man, then he wouldn't have been going to remove the contents of the car.)
Is removing the contents illegal cause they let my neighbor remove it after a gun was seen

quincy

No I didn't the repo man had a woman with him who was on the phone with police already as my neighbor walked out the moment my neighbor said tresspassing she said I'm on the phone with the police right now
I think your neighbor should not have approached the repo man and he should have controlled his dog. He definitely should not have had a gun pointed at any time at the repo man.

Usually the property owner can pick up the contents of the repossessed vehicle at the tow yard. The repo man does not have to let the owner remove anything from the car.

Many people who know their vehicles are in danger of being repossessed will not keep anything of value in their cars.

The woman in the car might have taken a video of the incident, including the dog attack and the neighbor's actions.

Smittyks

I think your neighbor should not have approached the repo man and he should have controlled his dog.

Usually the property owner can pick up the contents of the repossessed vehicle at the tow yard.

Many people who know their vehicles are in danger of being repossessed will not keep anything of value in their cars.
I think if the repo people would've announced themselves maybe knocked then it wouldn't have gotten out of hand. All my neighbor wanted was the contents...and for them to get off the property... The repoman tried to stop my neighbor from entering the vehicle to get their things... The dog protected the owner...all I know is my neighbors are good people and that's a nice dog... ive never seen it get agressive until it felt threatened they've had that dog since a pup. It's well behaved

Smittyks

I think if the repo people would've announced themselves maybe knocked then it wouldn't have gotten out of hand. All my neighbor wanted was the contents...and for them to get off the property... The repoman tried to stop my neighbor from entering the vehicle to get their things... The dog protected the owner...all I know is my neighbors are good people and that's a nice dog... ive never seen it get agressive until it felt threatened they've had that dog since a pup. It's well behaved
Why would the lady be calling the police immediately? Why did the repoman feel he could physically stop my neighbor...I feel the repo people were a bit aggressive.

quincy

Why would the lady be calling the police immediately? Why did the repoman feel he could physically stop my neighbor...I feel the repo people were a bit aggressive.
Why did the woman call the police? Maybe because the dog bit the repo man and the neighbor had a gun.

Smittyks

No before the dog bit or the second gun was pulled the lady was on the phone with the police... The moment my neighbor opened the door and said tresspassing...the lady said we're talking to the police now.. so before any of the "action" ensued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">