• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate got sick from a flea/tick ointment used on my cats

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

This is in Massachusetts.
I don't know if this is a legal issue or not. Basically what happened is I found a tick in my apartment and panicked and put this flea and tick ointment on the back of my cat's necks. My sister's boyfriend started asking to know what's in the product because it may make him sick but the previous week he held and touched one of my cats while it was on her fur and he didn't have a reaction. I proceeded to put it on my animal's as a precaution. Apparently the ointment made him sick and he vomited. The following day I bought flea collars to use as a double precaution and my sister and him got mad I did that as well. Days later, she tells me to take them off because he's still sick (this is after being out of the apartment for three days). So I do, and said I didn't realize it was that serious because he's been in contact with it before. Now she's saying they may press charges against me for poisoning him, even though it wasn't my intent and when I realized the seriousness I fixed the problem right away. Is this something I could have charges brought against me?

Last edited:

Just Blue

I don't know if this is a legal issue or not. Basically what happened is I found a tick in my apartment and panicked and put this flea and tick ointment on the back of my cat's necks. My sister's boyfriend started asking to know what's in the product because it may make him sick but the previous week he held and touched one of my cats while it was on her fur and he didn't have a reaction. I proceeded to put it on my animal's as a precaution. Apparently the ointment made him sick and he vomited. The following day I bought flea collars to use as a double precaution and my sister and him got mad I did that as well. Days later, she tells me to take them off because he's still sick (this is after being out of the apartment for three days). So I do, and said I didn't realize it was that serious because he's been in contact with it before. Now she's saying they may press charges against me for poisoning him, even though it wasn't my intent and when I realized the seriousness I fixed the problem right away. Is this something I could have charges brought against me?
What state?

quincy

Your sister's boyfriend got sick from touching your cat? Does the boyfriend live with you?

If you were unaware of the boyfriend's sensitivities, you cannot be expected to rid your place of what affects him adversely.

So, no. You cannot be charged with poisoning him.

Your sister's boyfriend got sick from touching your cat? Does the boyfriend live with you?

If you were unaware of the boyfriend's sensitivities, you cannot be expected to rid your place of what affects him adversely.

So, no. You cannot be charged with poisoning him.
The first time he was around this flea tick ointment he touched my cat and was fine. The second time I put it on the other two cats and suddenly it was a problem. He does live with me, so does my sister. He's allergic to random things but he's never told me exactly what so I never know and I didn't take him seriously considering he touched my pet before and nothing happened.

quincy

The first time he was around this flea tick ointment he touched my cat and was fine. The second time I put it on the other two cats and suddenly it was a problem. He does live with me, so does my sister. He's allergic to random things but he's never told me exactly what so I never know and I didn't take him seriously considering he touched my pet before and nothing happened.
Your sister's boyfriend is responsible for monitoring his own health.

Last edited:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Is it possible that his reaction was due to poor hygiene, i.e. not washing hands before eating, after handling the cat?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes, they're blowing smoke. He KNOWS that the stuff is on the cat yet touches the cat anyway. That's on him.

He claims that it being in the air made it worse for him and made him vomit. One time I was putting dish soap on a hot frying pan after cooking to soak up the grease and he yells at me saying it's hurting his stomach. It's impossible to do anything around him.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
That could be it honestly. I think he only showers like once a week or something. So he could have not washed his hands as well.
:sick:

People with alleged airborne allergies should realize that the misery are exacerbated when you don't bathe regularly.

:sick:

And, even if pets aren't being treated for fleas and ticks, one should wash hands after handling them.

He claims that it being in the air made it worse for him and made him vomit. One time I was putting dish soap on a hot frying pan after cooking to soak up the grease and he yells at me saying it's hurting his stomach. It's impossible to do anything around him.
I think it's time for you to consider living with other people when your lease is up.

Yeah seriously.. it's like he's making it worse for himself.
Oh believe me I've already told them they need to find elsewhere to go. This was the last straw for me. They've already been short a few times on rent, and have caused a few other issues. That's why they're mad and saying I'm lucky he doesn't press charges because he could.

Just Blue

That could be it honestly. I think he only showers like once a week or something. So he could have not washed his hands as well.
Okay...that's just gross. Every other day? I can see that...but once a week? Nasty. Must be fun being around him when the really hot and humid hits Mass in July and August. :sick:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">