• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marijuana conviction expunged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liudas

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In 1972 in an Ohio city, I was convicted of a misdemeanor "possession of hallucinogens" charge. (I possessed marijuana)

I want to know if I can get this conviction expunged, because I want to buy a firearm.

Can I get the conviction expunged? (I'm an old man now)

Thank you kindly.

Would Ohio have a 1972 record on computer?
No idea when they started using them but they may not have transferred misdemeanor records over and they are still on paper (remember that way of storing records?) ;)

xylene

Would Ohio have a 1972 record on computer?
No idea when they started using them but they may not have transferred misdemeanor records over and they are still on paper (remember that way of storing records?)
Are you advising the OP to lie on his ATF Form 4473?

quincy

I don't think Liudas has any question about his criminal record. He is asking if he can get his misdemeanor expunged.

In Ohio, records are "sealed" rather than "expunged." A record of the criminal offense will remain, unlike an expungement where the record is destroyed, but sealing will limit access to the record.

In Ohio, a non-felony drug conviction when sealed should not bar Liudas from owning a gun but Liudas will not be eligible for a concealed carry license.

You didn't. But a record already exists of the misdemeanor conviction - hence the whole reason for the question asked by Liudas.
Thank you. I was just taken aback that a member of the forum would accuse me of suggesting that someone break the law

quincy

Thank you. I was just taken aback that a member of the forum would accuse me of suggesting that someone break the law
Your post probably would have been better without the winky face.

Although I read your ";)" to mean Liudas might need to order a paper copy of the record because the record might not be available online. I can see how xylene read your post.

Either way, a record exists and Liudas can apply to have his record sealed.

1231a123

What is the name of your state? Ohio

In 1972 in an Ohio city, I was convicted of a misdemeanor "possession of hallucinogens" charge. (I possessed marijuana)

I want to know if I can get this conviction expunged, because I want to buy a firearm.

Can I get the conviction expunged? (I'm an old man now)

Thank you kindly.
I don’t think drug charges should be expunged ever I feel that people who have been charged with a drug crime need to go to jail an not drug rehab an rather do drug rehab through jail I don’t like people who use drugs

quincy

I don’t think drug charges should be expunged ever I feel that people who have been charged with a drug crime need to go to jail an not drug rehab an rather do drug rehab through jail I don’t like people who use drugs
We discuss the law on this forum. Not what people think the law should be.

Please do not add to threads just for the heck of it.

Just Blue

Please stop harassing me Quincy
You are not being harassed. You being told that this is a legal site. Do not post to other members thread unless you have pertinent information based on the law of the state in question and the situation of the member asking.

1231a123

You are not being harassed. You being told that this is a legal site. Do not post to other members thread unless you have pertinent information based on the law of the state in question and the situation of the member asking.
But I am posting about the law I said I wish it were the law that drug offenders would have to do rehab through jail an not have there freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">