• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Rental Agreement to Prove Domestic Partnership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida
I am trying to prove domestic partnership for a life insurance plan due to the loss of my boyfriend. One of the documents requested is a lease of rental property. We lived together for years. Unfortunately between myself, the landlord and the 2 property managers, no one has a copy of the original lease. Is there something else that I can proceed to prove that we lived together at that location?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Florida
I am trying to prove domestic partnership for a life insurance plan due to the loss of my boyfriend. One of the documents requested is a lease of rental property. We lived together for years. Unfortunately between myself, the landlord and the 2 property managers, no one has a copy of the original lease. Is there something else that I can proceed to prove that we lived together at that location?
Ask the insurance company what other proof they could use that would show a domestic partnership.
But why do you need to prove anything. Either you're named as a beneficiary or you're not.

adjusterjack

Is there something else that I can proceed to prove that we lived together at that location?
Any utility bills with both your names on it? Car insurance? Car titles?

Affidavits from the property manager, if you can get it?

Otherwise, same comment: You're either a beneficiary on the policy or not.

Ask the insurance company what other proof they could use that would show a domestic partnership.
But why do you need to prove anything. Either you're named as a beneficiary or you're not.
Our daughter is the beneficiary of both our life insurances. I called and left them a message today, just waiting for a response.

Any utility bills with both your names on it? Car insurance? Car titles?

Affidavits from the property manager, if you can get it?

Otherwise, same comment: You're either a beneficiary on the policy or not.
Our daughter is the beneficiary on both of our life insurances. I have utility bills with either my name or his name but they are for the same time period at the same address. I have a title and registration with both our names and a bank account with both our names but they need 3. So I'm currently short one of them. Do you know of any cases that they accepted affidavits from landlords and management companies for proof of residence and lease? We also had our mail delivered at that address. I'm just freaking out because I'm now a single mom and I just want to be able to take care of my daughter properly. This money is crucial.

Zigner

Our daughter is the beneficiary on both of our life insurances. I have utility bills with either my name or his name but they are for the same time period at the same address. I have a title and registration with both our names and a bank account with both our names but they need 3. So I'm currently short one of them. Do you know of any cases that they accepted affidavits from landlords and management companies for proof of residence and lease? We also had our mail delivered at that address. I'm just freaking out because I'm now a single mom and I just want to be able to take care of my daughter properly. This money is crucial.
Huh? It's not YOUR money.

Then why does the question of proving a domestic partnership even arise?
That's a great point! One that I will surely bring up. But if I'm not mistaken it is because I got the life insurance thru my job and he qualified for it due to being a domestic partner. So now I have to prove he was my partner at the time of enrollment.

Zigner

That's a great point! One that I will surely bring up. But if I'm not mistaken it is because I got the life insurance thru my job and he qualified for it due to being a domestic partner. So now I have to prove he was my partner at the time of enrollment.
You should have provided paperwork to your employer and/or the insurance company at the time.

adjusterjack

Still haven't answered the question as to what your role is in the life insurance. What I am getting at is this. Your daughter is a beneficiary of the policy, not you. She is a minor. The death benefit is hers but it will have to be held in trust for her until she becomes an adult and can collect it.

If you are thinking that your evidence of domestic partnership will get the insurance company to issue the check to you so that you can use the money that may not happen, no matter how altruistic your intentions.

What insurance companies generally do when a minor is a beneficiary is petition the court to appoint a trustee to hold the money for the minor. You might or might not be appointed as trustee.

This is why it is never a good idea to make minor children the beneficiary of any life insurance.

Zigner

Still haven't answered the question as to what your role is in the life insurance. What I am getting at is this. Your daughter is a beneficiary of the policy, not you. She is a minor. The death benefit is hers but it will have to be held in trust for her until she becomes an adult and can collect it.

If you are thinking that your evidence of domestic partnership will get the insurance company to issue the check to you so that you can use the money that may not happen, no matter how altruistic your intentions.

What insurance companies generally do when a minor is a beneficiary is petition the court to appoint a trustee to hold the money for the minor. You might or might not be appointed as trustee.

This is why it is never a good idea to make minor children the beneficiary of any life insurance.
I believe that the insurance company is questioning the validity of the policy. It was issued as part of a group policy through the employer, but the insurance company needs to be convinced that the decedent actually qualified to be included.

I believe that the insurance company is questioning the validity of the policy. It was issued as part of a group policy through the employer, but the insurance company needs to be convinced that the decedent actually qualified to be included.
I don't know why they don't just ask for this stuff up front. Things get lost when someone dies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">